This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Tell 'em Bob Sent Ya!"

I've never quite understood similar phrases in advertising. I understand "Mention you heard this on <insert radio station here> for a 10% discount."

But I really don't get "Tell 'em Bob sent ya!"

Is Bob getting a kickback or something?
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

I think it's to let them know where you heard the ad so they can know where to spend their money and where to save it.
    This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

Heard this on a pro wrestling podcast, featuring a guy who used to run his own promotion (among other things)...

He had a used car dealer as one of his regular advertisers, and his regular ad spot on the had the name and a "tell'em (name) sent ya" bit in the ad.

Guy who owned the company wasn't (name), it was just the name of the company, (name)'s Car Lot. If someone called the lot looking for (name), they knew it was a customer looking for a deal and try to up-sell the sucker.

If someone called looking for the boss and used his real name, reception knew it was serious business and not just a potential sucky customer...
      "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Quoth catcul View Post
        I think it's to let them know where you heard the ad so they can know where to spend their money and where to save it.
        Exactly. When I dabbled in mail order/direct marketing in the '90's, I included a Dept.# in my address. This number was a code for the publication and date for just that purpose.
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Working...
        X