This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for some advice re: colostomy bags

Not the best of subjects if you're reading this over a meal, I know, but I do need some advice.

My mum is currently in hospital. Her intestines are dying, so they're going to have to remove them and she'll be on a colostomy bag for the rest of her life

Is there anyone here who has any experience with them, either from themselves or a close member of their family, who can give me some advice on how to help mum settle into this (if she survives the op; she's high-risk due to her age and physical condition)?

I'm looking for day to day things, like how often you need to check the bag, how to prevent any possible sore spots, things like that. I know that the hospital will give her a list of do's and don't's, but that's not the same as personal experience.
    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

I think most hospitals have an ostomy nurse who can help you with these questions. There also might be websites that you can dicuss these things with others who have colostomies.

Comment

There’s also a lot of YouTube channels dedicated to this topic. People explain what it is, what’s their way of coping, changing, etc with it. Not everyone is the same, depends on the stoma, placement etc so the hospital really will be the best source to start. The rest, like youtubers or websites, are additional info.

Comment

Working...
      X