This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A very welcome surprise

As you know, I was fired last week. Today, I had to take some office equipment to the person in charge of such things.

Well. There was one item missing, and I have no idea where it could be. The person in charge of such things was telling me that if I can't find it at home, I'll have to pay for it, yadda yadda.

I just turned and left without saying anything more, leaving this person babbling behind me.

I sent a text message to my manager (now my former manager), asking if he might have found the missing item after I left the office the week before last. He called me, because he wasn't sure what I meant in the text, and I explained that I'd just dropped off the equipment, and the person in charge wanted me to pay for the missing item. (By the way, we aren't talking about something big. Something about as important as a pair of scissors, or a computer cable.)

Former manager, bless him, told me that if he had been able to do it, he would have destroyed the proof that I even had the item in the first place! He couldn't, though, and I haven't found the item, so I might have to pay for it.

But.

He told me that he's going to send me his email address so that I can send him my CV. He said that he knows people who work in HR in other companies, and he'll send it on to them!

"I really don't want to go back to [Company]," he confided. "You're better off not being there."

A very nice note for the end of the year.

Keeping finger crossed.

Good luck!
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

So he might be able to help you find another job at a better place? That's good. Very good.
      Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

That ex-manager seems like a great example of the distinction between a "boss" and a "manager." I've seldom had anything but bosses, and I'm glad you had a manager watching your back. ^_^
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Ex-manager is a good guy. I was acquainted with him well before my very brief job at Shitty Company. As I mentioned in my first post, he really doesn't want to go back to Shitty Company after the holidays, and I don't blame him one bit.

Several acquaintances work at Shitty Company, but who knows how long that will last? They keep firing people like it's going out of style.

Comment

In a way, that's good for you, because it means you weren't being targeted or singled out.
            Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

No, I don't think I was singled out. Now I understand why Shitty Company is always advertising. They keep firing people. I have no doubt that several people got the chop the same week I did. I think that some of the managers have formed a clique, which doesn't help.

Comment

Working...
              X