Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sorry, I can't fix the outgoing email!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry, I can't fix the outgoing email!!!

Okay, everyone, I need some pity.

I don't know if anyone's had to deal with something like this, but the uni got listed on some spam blacklists.

It happened once before while I was here. The network admin sent the request to be removed, we were, the peasants rejoiced.

Well, not this time.

It hit on Wednesday. We can't send emails to hotmail accounts. The public school systems hereabouts are using the same blacklist company. We're getting a TON of bounce backs.

And **I** get the calls!

How many times do I have to say "I'm sorry, we've done all we can"????

And, if this is a person's fault, and not an Exchange server error.... oh boy. I'll have FUN!

SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
    SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Wow, I mean, just wow.

As for the possibe cause of your uni getting blacklisted, could there be a spamming virus at large on your network? Or maybe a spammer using your systems to commit his devilish deeds? These are really the only two things I can think of that would cause your addresses to get blacklisted like that. In which case, there is a person upon which you can release your wrath when you find them ::

Comment

I'm a nerd!!

We think we have found the culprit..., and killed his internet access. It looks like so far that we've been removed from the lists, and can now email hotmail accounts. Woot for hotmail!

I sent out an email to faculty, staff and students.

The first line... "Good news, everyone!"

It's a subtle reference, but I guess that's what makes me a nerd!

As mean as it is, I can't wait to get my hands on the kid's computer. As Apollo said, the kid probably doesn't even know what's going on, and we have a few botted computers we're trying to get our hands on, but still, I'm REALLY hoping we don't find something on his machine, and make him wipe it. Perferably with supervised backup... ya know, to make sure nothing sneaks in..... Sigh...

Jenni, the evil

Comment

Quoth technical.angel View Post

The first line... "Good news, everyone!"
        You should send an appropriate image along with it.

Comment

Yeah, similar problem. My husband is the webmaster for our local SCA group, and when hotmail blacklisted our server, it resulted in not just not being able to send e-mails, but in our whole webpage being shut down.

See, we have e-mail forwards for all of our officers that point to their personal e-mail addresses. (Each forwarding e-mail is in the format of nameofoffice@ourbarony.net and can point to any e-mail address the officer ones.) Some of those personal addresses are hotmail addresses. And, because the officer addresses are posted on our webpage, in various e-mails, and many other places, they attract spam. (That's one of the reasons for *having* the forwarders--when you step down from an office, your regular e-mail address quits getting all that spam, because that regular e-mail address wasn't posted anywhere.)

So, our seneschal Joe Schmoe (seneschal = group president) has the address seneschal@ourbarony.net, which forwards to j-schmoe@hotmail.com . A lot of what's forwarded is spam. Hotmail sees spam from ourbarony.net and blacklists the server. Our webpage then is shut down by the hosting service.

Matt got it fixed by getting rid of the hotmail forwarders and setting up a gmail account that exists solely to forward messages from seneschal@ourbarony.net to j-schmoe@hotmail.com, so that our seneschal can get his group-related e-mails.

Kind of annoying, but it was the only way to get our website back up and running.
          Last edited by Kelly Lynne; 02-26-2007, 03:29 PM.

Comment

"Good news, everyone!"
            Professie: "Let me show you around. That's my lab table, and this is my work stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship. And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
            Fry: "Wow, a real live space ship!"
            Professie: "I designed it myself. Let me show some of the different lengths of wire I used."

Comment

When my harddrive crashed it somehow also crashed the company e-mail. Don't aske me how that's for Mickey to figure out. Anyways when we got back up and running the new IP address that the ISP gave us was blacklisted by one of our vendors so consequently they weren't getting our e-mails. It took awhile but eventually they unblacklisted the IP.

Makes you wonder who had the IP before us and what were they doing with it?
              Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Well, after many battles, and scouring through ATT.net's Help page, we think we have gotten off all the blacklists.

Now, people aren't bothering to read the undeliverable messages, oddly enough, one of those people is the head of the Computer Sciences department (the degree, not the Helpdesk). She emailed us whining that her emails weren't going through, and sent us a copy of the undeliverable message. It said quite clearly that the message was too big.

I told her what it said, and to zip up the pictures and/or send less pictures in more emails. I got a message back from her saying "That worked! Thanks!" and not realizing that she was acting quite well, stupid for a professor of CS, not to mention a dept head.

It's FUN to read for people!!! :P

Comment

<snip> and not realizing that she was acting quite well, stupid for a professor of CS, not to mention a dept head.

It's FUN to read for people!!! :P

Once had a call from someone who lost his CS thesis to a virus a week before it was due to be handed in.

Me > "Well having spent the last few years studying computers I'm sure you've got a backup or two floating around, you can just print it out after the system's restored"

Student > *sob*

Degrees don't mean anything when it comes to common sense
                  Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

I know the the "joys" of blacklist removals. Its especially NOT fun when your whole mortgage company uses one single mail server to do all of its outside email functions. Let me say this, teaching Loan Officers the pitfalls of certain email practices is , how shall I say............tedious.

Long story short, we had two loan officers who just couldn't wrap thier numbers plagued minds around the fact hat sending 4000+ DAILY emails to realestate agents concerning mortgage rates was not a good idea. The one even complained that this was his only method of business for referals, and even about the fact that he would ahve pay for software that would allow him to send mass-mail of that nature. Needless to say, once this practice stopped, and after sorting it out with our mail server host, the problem went away.

Users, gotta love em. If not for the job security.....but also the shortened lifespan.

Comment

Working...
                    X