This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• if you're immuno compromised AND a worrier, don't go camping in a busy park

well. we have an interesting one we're dealing with now. several days ago we had a reservation arrive, and phone us from the driveway stating that they felt uncomfortable coming into the office, as they didn't see any social distancing happening. (no mention at this time of medial issues.)

now... some people love em because they know exactly what they're getting, and some people hate em because they're comparatively pricey and crowded, but fact is... Big Yellow campgrounds do have a reputation for being family friendly (IE lots of kids around) and sites that are on the smaller side. so... take that setting, and make a big park out of it... 800 +/- people are an average weekend here. that said, last month the WI governor ordered a mask mandate... you must wear a mask inside public buildings. we put up signs on every door, and when we see someone coming in without a mask we mention to them. there are, of course, exceptions to the mandate (medical reasons, eating/drinking, or attempting to speak with a hearing impaired person, etc), and being a campground, sometimes people are forgetful and they end up covering their face with their shirt, or a towel or what-have-you... but the majority of people coming and going are covered... BUT... it is still a very VERY busy campground, and on the weekend there are a lot of kids playing in the playground and people in the pool and whatnot... and we have made it plain that WE are not policing family groups. they are to see to their own social distancing. not only is it rather difficult to do in an outdoor setting, we also just plain don't have staff to devote to it when we're already incredibly short staffed this year.

so anyway. dude in the driveway gets told "uhm. sorry?" and he drives away without a refund because he wanted to cancel without ever coming in. funny thing is, if he'd come in, checked in, then decided "nope, i hate this" he would have been covered under a 1 hour satisfaction guarantee.

so anyway, he sends us an email the very next day claiming he came in and saw "dozens of people coming and going in and out of the office without masks and blah blah yadda yadda you guys are horrible what are you going to do for me or i'm calling corporate". we're like "well that's a lie. you never even left your car" and we forwarded the email to the owner to handle. i guess the owner didn't give a satisfactory answer yet because he sent ANOTHER email today saying how he or his wife (not sure which) was immunocompromised and how are they supposed to feel safe with dozens of people coming and going in the office with no masks (again, a blatant lie. we do get busy in the office, but as i mentioned, almost everyone who goes in covers their face somehow, and we do have the "stay 6 feet apart" marks on the floor that people obey about 95% of the time. the store is large enough that 3-4 people can be in line, and another 4-6 adults and kids can be browsing the isles)

they went on to say they can't understand how we're following the CDC guidelines, someone else's guidelines (forgot whose) and a few other things, and mentioned other parks that limit their office to 4 people at a time and a few other misc details of other, less busy, places they stayed... and capped it by saying "it's not about the money we stayed at places twice as expensive as this" and named a few places... none of which were Big Yellow franchise campgrounds...

they concluded today's email by threatening to call the CDC, the BBB, the Big Yellow campground corporate, the State of WI, the police department, and ABC news and even a few other things i can't remember if we did not respond posthaste.

and they attached a couple of photographs they took of our transgressions...both pics were kids playing in the playground.

----------

i totally get being worried. i totally get wanting to be safe. i have asthma... i'm front and center at the front desk being exposed to thousands of people per week. i want people to be safe, i want to be safe. but don't come in here and lie about what really happened and then threaten to call every organization under the sun, most of which will likely just laugh at you and hang up, just because you didn't get your 60 bucks back.

*sigh*
    Last edited by katzklaw; 08-18-2020, 11:43 PM.

If they were that concerned about being around other people, why did they come to the camp ground in the first place? They should have just stayed home. But that is what reasonable people do, not the ones that get discussed here.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

exactly my point.

i asked the boss. he says we aren't gonna do anything about them, and they can go ahead and report us to whoever they feel like they need to, because we're already adhering to all the guidelines we're required to apparently. eh. i kinda wanna see what comes of it. i'll let y'all know what happens, if anything

Comment

Working...
      X