This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So basically ... I may never get paid

Finally called the Ontario Labour Board to find out about my unpaid wages. Found out that, as a freelancer, I am not covered by the Employment Standards Act. Unless I am willing to go to court (for $400??) ... it's very possible I may never get paid.

How awful!
    1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
    -----
    http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Sounds like there's a lot of red tape involving pay for freelance work. Ouch!

Comment

Some how as a 1099 contractor, i'm not surprised to hear this. So far i haven't been stiffed by any of my clients, but it'd be ugly if it happened as i'm paid piece meal for my work, and there's no real proof of what i completed should they refuse to pay me. Still, that definitely sucks, although is small claims court an option?
        Seph
        Taur10
        "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Oh that's awful Hope you get things sorted.
          Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
          What's the difference?
          We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Thanks, guys.
            Javarod, I don't know about legal redress -- a friend suggested I go to a lawyer as I may find one who may take it "pro bono" because they want to "make a name" with a David vs Goliath case ... but honestly, I don't think $400 in unpaid wages is exactly a screamer-headline story. However, initial consultations are free, so I will look into both a lawyer and Small Claims Court. At least if I decide not to go with either, it will be on the basis of actual information.

downforit, I don't think it's a matter of red tape ... I send in my hours, she sends it to the payroll department, they return it to her to be OK'd, and that's supposed to be it. It's all done electronically.

As I think I mentioned before, she's also notorious for not responding to my emails. I sent her one after Monday's fiasco, explaining that someone else had done a lot of proofing earlier in the day, so there'd been only about an hour's worth of work when I got there, and asking whether she wanted me to continue to come in. No reply yet, and past experience suggests that the further we get from Monday, the less likely it is I'll get one.

So I'm pretty much finished with this job. I'm leaving the region within six weeks anyway, and I'm not staying in the industry, so I have nothing to gain by wasting more time there.

Comment

Frankly, considering the circumstances, I would consider it worth my while taking out really large newspaper advertisements warning people away from this lady and all her works. Bet she gets in touch with you then! And if she tries to sue you, then it would be worth counter-suing for lost wages.
              "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

KatherineB, the irony is ... this is a newspaper! It's the competitor to the paper I got laid off from. I was called in about a year ago by Big Cheese (we worked together on a small weekly a couple of decades ago). He himself was axed at the beginning of the year, but generally I've always dealt with the woman who has now taken over his duties. Collecting my pay has always been an issue, ever since the start. I hung on because the pay was good (when I got it!) and I always had student loan money, etc., to fall back on. Now I'm leaving the area and would prefer to get my money before I go ... but who knows whether that will happen.
                Last edited by Pixilated; 05-10-2012, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Have you resubmitted your invoice to their accounts payable dept?
                  There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

It's not me who's supposed to do that (formerly Second in Command is supposed to do that, electronically), but it's worth a try.

I'm also thinking of sending a resignation letter, effective immediately, citing "chronic and lengthy delays in being reimbursed for my work" with all the details included ... and sending it not only 'formerly Second in Command', but anybody above her head whose name I can find.

Comment

Working...
                    X