This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jokes on controversial topics

I realize that certain topics belong on the other board because they can become quite heated. Would any of these sub-categories of political jokes (and one sub-category of religious jokes) be permitted?

- Tar them all with the same brush
    Politicians as a class (regardless of their affiliation) are the target

- Partisanship is the target
    These would be of the form "Party A vs. Party B" (identified as such), where it doesn't make any difference to the joke which real-life party is A and which is B (for a U.S. perspective, they'd work equally well with Republicans as Party A and Democrats as Party B as they would with Democrats as Party A and Republicans as Party B).

- Affiliation is important, but only for purposes of a pun
    For example, "Grits" is both the nickname for one of the major parties in Canadian politics and the name of a corn-based porridge popular in the southern U.S.

- (for individual politicians, not parties) Politician is identified, but the joke deals with an attribute other than their politics.
    For example, a joke dealing with Bill Clinton as a saxophone player, where his political history is irrelevant to the joke. If the attribute in question is controversial (e.g. Clinton's skirt-chasing), I can understand that being either banned or restricted (i.e. nobody currently in office).

- "Dumb boss" jokes, where the dumb boss happens to be an elected official.
    In this case, it would need to be one where enough people hold that office that it wouldn't be an identifiable person (e.g. "Mayor" - every city has one - or "Senator" - there are 100 at the federal level in the U.S., with more at state level and in other countries, but not "Mayor of New York City", or "Senior senator from Ohio").

As for the religious issues, I'm looking at people acting in the name of religion, rather than the religion itself, being the target (specifically, the "What would Jesus drive?" people from some years back).

Thanks for your responses.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Good questions! We'll discuss it and get back to you. We always appreciate it when people ask first and then post.

FTR -- if you (or anyone else) PM us with a "Is this OK to post?" message and the answer is "No," you won't get into any trouble. It's only a problem if it gets posted anyway.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Just FTR while we hash out the details -- Political/religious references in general, even as jokes, are considered Fratching material (save for WBC), and are better avoided.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

The biggest problem with political jokes is that too many of them get elected.
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I believe that one falls under the first category I mentioned (tar them all with the same brush).

Comment

We discussed it among the mods, and we have decided that the best way is to stick to our blanket ban on politics and religion (aside from WBC) in general. While some jokes are normally innocent (e.g. 'tar with the same brush' jokes), you hit the nail on the head -- the problem is that, sooner or later, someone WILL misinterpret a joke and start fratching, or simply see that one of the subjects came up, and use that as a launching off point for inappropriate posts.

So, in other words, even if it's just a joke, please take such things to Fratching; please continue to Report such posts when you come across them - we can't see everything. As usual, if you're not sure whether or not a (non-political/religious) joke will cross the line, drop us a PM before posting and we'll let you know ASAP.

Comment

Any chance of getting a Jokes forum over at Fratching, seeing that political/religious jokes are a big area, and are banned here?

Comment

Not really. Fratching is srs bsnss.

Rapscallion

Comment

Whenever I've heard the joke I just posted, it was the chairman of the board of education (an elected official who doesn't necessarily have a background in education) rather than the principal (not elected, and someone who presumably rose through the ranks of teachers). Doesn't make as much sense the way I posted it, but since "dumb boss who happens to be an elected official" falls under the general ban on political jokes, I had to make the change.

Comment

Working...
                  X