Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tutorial on how to use features of the editor?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tutorial on how to use features of the editor?

It's come to my attention (someone PMed me asking how I did a certain thing) that some people (even those who've been around for more than a couple months) haven't been able to find instructions about how to use all functions of the editor when making a post. Any chance of getting a "how to" sticky in either "site news" or "new users"? The specific example I encountered dealt with breaking up a quote, but there are some other features of the editor that are non-intuitive. If you need something to cut and paste for a tutorial, here's what I sent them:

Quoth paraphrasing their question
    I saw in one of your posts that you had broken up the OP's quote and replied to each section separately. How do you multi-quote like that?
    There's no magic involved, just cut-and-paste. At the end of one section I'm replying to, I manually enter an "end quote' tag. Then I highlight the "open quote" tag, choose "copy" from the edit menu, and paste it down after my reply. Lather, rinse, repeat.

For a true multi-quote (i.e. quoting multiple people in a single post), to the right of the "QUOTE" box in each post is a small box with a quotation mark and a "+" sign. Click on that symbol in each post you want to quote, in the order in which you want to quote them (the box will turn pink, and the "+" will turn into a "-"). When you've selected everything you want to quote, click the "Post Reply" button, and you'll get a message entry screen with all the posts quoted.

Note that the second type of multi-quote is dealt with briefly under "FAQ"(from top of page)"/Reading and Posting Messages/Replying to a Post", but that's not as intuitive as something along the lines of "Quoting Someone Else's Post in your Post". By "edit menu" I mean the edit menu in my browser (should be obvious to anyone familiar with Windows). Also, since this originated with a PM, I WON'T "out" the person who sent it in a public forum (after all, they sent a PM rather than posting on a thread) - moderators presumably have the access to check my recent PMs and see for themselves (or they can PM me if my assumption is incorrect).
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

for further info, this page should help

Comment

Write something up and I can slap it into Site News

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
      X