This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "There was nowhere to put it!"

On Peapod duty today, I used one of those yellow "wet floor" cones to prop open the door while I'm putting a customer's groceries in her car, and when I turn around, I saw two people stubbing out cigarettes on the cone and dropping them through the hole in the top! When I confronted them about it (being a tad sharper than I intended), the reply one of them gave me was the title of this thread. Okay, there's usually a black receptacle for cigarette butts near that particular entrance (it's even shaped similarly), but even if it wasn't there, that gave them no right to use the wet floor cone in a manner it was not intended for, even if "There's nothing in there to catch fire!" It's the equivalent of pulling your pants down and taking a shit on the sidewalk, and when confronted by the angry owner of the shop you took a dump in front of, saying, "Well, you wouldn't let me use the restroom, so where else could I go?"

I ended up stubbing the butts out thoroughly with my shoe and pitching them in the garbage receptacle, but seriously...WTF?

What is it with people making up these bullshit excuses. I get this kind of crap from my six year old daughter. These supposed "adults" haven't grown out of this stage yet? Normal, civilized people don't do shit like that. At the very least, if they pull such a bonehead stunt, they have the good sense to apologize and admit wrongdoing.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Hey, you people have ashtrays in your cars, right? Stub out your fucking cigarettes BEFORE you get out, huh? But then they wouldn't get to keep puffing right up until they walk through the sliding doors...

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
        It's the equivalent of pulling your pants down and taking a shit on the sidewalk, and when confronted by the angry owner of the shop you took a dump in front of, saying, "Well, you wouldn't let me use the restroom, so where else could I go?"
        We had a lady threaten to pee on the floor if we wouldn't let her use the employee bathroom when the customer one was out of order. And it wasn't like she couldn't hold it, at least that's not how acted. She said it like "I know you have an employee bathroom and if you don't let me use it I'll just go right here!"

People presume that everything they could possibly think of will be given to them. Like the people who go to the cashiers at my work and demand that a chair be brought to the front of the store so that they can wait for the bus or their ride. They don't ask, they tell. The entitlement runs deep.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I can feel where they are coming from, most stores are removing the receptacles from their doors, however a wet floor sign is obviously not a ashtray

Comment

Hey, you people have ashtrays in your cars, right? Stub out your fucking cigarettes BEFORE you get out, huh? But then they wouldn't get to keep puffing right up until they walk through the sliding doors...
            Not necessarily. IIRC some of your newer vehicles don't have cigarette lighters or ashtrays.

I once worked w/a lady who smoked more than me. She'd finally gotten a new car and wouldn't smoke in it, figuring (correctly) that if she needed to trade it in for something newer years down the road, it'd have a higher trade in value if it were a non-smoking vehicle.
            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
              We had a lady threaten to pee on the floor if we wouldn't let her use the employee bathroom when the customer one was out of order. And it wasn't like she couldn't hold it, at least that's not how acted. She said it like "I know you have an employee bathroom and if you don't let me use it I'll just go right here!"
              That's when you should have pulled out your phone, pretended to dial, and said, "Hello, police...?"

Seriously...most stores are within walking distance of another store that will have a usable public restroom. If you waited so long that you're honestly about to piss your pants, that's your problem, not mine. Unless you're five years old, you should know how long you can hold it.

Comment

That's when you should have pulled out your phone, pretended to dial, and said, "Hello, police...?"
                Problem is if your bluff gets called.
                Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                  Problem is if your bluff gets called.
                  Not really. My phone is equipped with a camera. If the police bluff don't work, I'll damned certain post a picture (or video) online. And it ain't a bluff.

Hey, public place - all's fair.

Comment

Around here idiots who smoke on the Light Rail platforms like to pitch their buts onto the tracks. It's not like there's grease or leaves or anything else flammable down there, after all.
                    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Cigarette butts are my boss's pet peeve. Our city even has special receptacles just for butts. There is allegedly a $100 fine for pitching them onto the sidewalk. Police generally have better things to do.

Comment

I don't see the appeal of smoking at all (tried it once as a kid, never wanted another puff after that), and find it extremely crass when someone just drops their butt wherever they happen to be standing, often without bothering to crush it out. There have been at least two occasions at work where the little "islands" in the parking lot (with small trees and bushes planted in mulch and wood chips) have literally caught fire/started smoldering, because some asshole parked next to them just pitches their butts out the window without a second thought.

That said, smoking is extremely photogenic in the movies, especially old B&W film noirs from the 40's. But in real life? Stop blowing that poison around.

Comment

I don't smoke, but the topic title is still a problem I face every day.
                          To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

What I learned to do from hiking buddies is to "field-strip" my butts, ripping the remaining paper and tobacco away from the but. The filter is basically toxic waste (and a choking hazard for animals), so it needs to go into the trash, but the paper and tobacco will duly rot into dirt. (Also, the butt is a lot less smelly without the half-burned tobacco, so you can stash it in a pocket without stinking things up.) That said, you still need to consider fire hazard and (especially indoors) ordinary littering issues!

Comment

Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
                              What I learned to do from hiking buddies is to "field-strip" my butts, ripping the remaining paper and tobacco away from the but. The filter is basically toxic waste (and a choking hazard for animals), so it needs to go into the trash, but the paper and tobacco will duly rot into dirt. (Also, the butt is a lot less smelly without the half-burned tobacco, so you can stash it in a pocket without stinking things up.) That said, you still need to consider fire hazard and (especially indoors) ordinary littering issues!
                              Lot of military guys field strip into a snus can/snuff tin. Small, compact, fireproof, fits into a pocket =)
                              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
                              X