This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth greek_jester View Post
    IIRC, if you passed your test in an automatic, you have to re-take your test in a manual if you want to be able to drive one legally.
    Within my lifetime, that applied in British Columbia (Canada). When I was in elementary school, I remember my mother mentioning it in connection with her sister who owned a Corvair at the time.

In Ontario (Canada) it's been VERY recent (since I started driving a truck) that the requirement to get a class A license dropped the requirement to do a road test on a vehicle with an unsynchronized manual transmission (many heavy trucks are now getting "automated manuals" - core of a manual, but shifted by computer).
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
      That's right. Automatics are very rare outside of cars adjusted for someone with a disability, and lower in value in comparison to the same model in a manual. IIRC, if you passed your test in an automatic, you have to re-take your test in a manual if you want to be able to drive one legally.
      Automatics are becoming more common in some brands now. BMW/Merc/poshwagon 4x4s that regard themselves as premium now tend to have automatic boxes, as do sporty things now that twin-clutch flappy-paddle automatic gearboxes are a thing.

Plain, common and garden saloon and hatchbacks still 90% manual transmission though, right enough.

I have my first automatic in 15 years at the moment. They don't offer that engine/trim as a manual (Alfa Giulietta QFV) and it's taking a while to adjust..

Comment

I believe there is no such thing as a manual Prius either.

Comment

My understanding is that no hybrid is available as a manual. With the computer constantly deciding whether to feed engine power into the battery or the road, or to do regenerative braking, it needs to have control of the transmission.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
            My understanding is that no hybrid is available as a manual.
            Nope, there are manual hybrids. The original Honda Insight (the little two-door one) was available with a manual, for one. I know it hasn't been sold new for a while now, but used ones come up for sale. I had thought that at least one of the super-super-high-performance hybrid cars was also available with a manual, but now I am doubting that...

But the Toyota "Hybrid Synergy Drive" uses a sort of continuously-variable transmission as the link between the electric and fossil-fuel engines.
            “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
            One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
            The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Working...
            X