Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because the children MUST have EXACTLY what they want for Christmas or their little psyches will be RUINED.

Or not. Learning that you can't always get what you want is important, and it's also important to learn that even on holidays the real world still exists. Now, there are things that happened in my childhood that did do me (at least) some real damage. But not getting exactly what I wanted every year wasn't one of them.
    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
      I never wanted any hyped up toy like this as I kid. It's a good thing, too, because my parents wouldn't have killed themselves search for it. I remember wanting flannel sheets, or CDs or books.
      My parents wouldn't have either. The only hard-to-find item I remember asking for, was a Lotus Esprit model kit some years ago. Limited run meant that very few shops had them. My mom went to multiple hobby shops before she found one. Didn't expect that, nor would my Christmas have been "ruined" if I didn't get it.
      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
        Hatchimals. From what I was told about the small crowd at the back, there was almost a fist-fight over the lack of Hatchimals.
        From the description, it sounds like those things are Tamagochi 2.0.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

A coworker has his granddaughters furby in our office. At some point he dissected it. So now it sits above his desk, terminator style, no skin at all on it. And every now and again it comes to life. Very freaky.
          But the paint on me is beginning to dry
          And it's not what I wanted to be
          The weight on me
          Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

For those who like Flatland, check out Planiverse. It presents the 2-D world from a different angle. It is available on Amazon.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
              ladydyani, The phrases that get me are satan machine, showing the furry devil where we slept and were vulnerable, demon doll, and screeching as the demons inside him tried to escape. That's how I feel about Furby.
              And this is why we have ours still in the box and the battery removed.
              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Try googling "furby no fur". It's very Terminator-esque. Reminds me of that furless picture that was circulating of Tickle Me Elmo, or that picture of the Hoggle costume (R.I.P. Jim Henson) that was found rotting in unclaimed baggage.

What I'm saying is they're made of nightmares covered in synthetic fur.
                The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Comment

When tickle me elmo first came out my youngest was a teenager. She begged me for one for Christmas and as they were sold out, and some idiots were paying as much as $1000.00 on eBay, i told her no. I said You'll be bored with it within 10 minutes but if you still want one in Feb when they were common again and back at the regular prce of $24.99 I would get you one.
                  Feb rolls around and I ask her if she still wants one. She says 'Oh my friends little sister got one and after about 5 minutes it was really boring.' I looked at her and she just shrugged.

Comment

I'm on another website that's primarily for Bullseye workers to vent. They had a fistfight break out at the front registers solely because someone had too many items for the express lane.
                    "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

Quoth Lovecats View Post
                      I'm on another website that's primarily for Bullseye workers to vent. They had a fistfight break out at the front registers solely because someone had too many items for the express lane.
                      While on occasion I've wanted to beat the crap out of another customer for committing the sin of 30 items in the 10 or less line, I've always managed to refrain, and contented myself with glaring at the back of their head passive aggressively.
                      The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Comment

I've read a story about a young child who managed to pwn an express lane abuser. Said kid had just learned to count and was enjoying showing off her ability. So when the SC put stuff on the belt, the kidlet started counting. After she got to 15 she announced to the whole store "that's too many!" SC grabbed her stuff and moved to another line.
                        "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
                          Feb rolls around and I ask her if she still wants one. She says 'Oh my friends little sister got one and after about 5 minutes it was really boring.' I looked at her and she just shrugged.
                          I was watching the ad linked on the first page of this topic. Rapidly losing interest as the ad went on.

Comment

Working...
                          X