This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bag Ban Woes

So, prop 67 passed here in California, which bans one-use plastic bags and has retailers charge at least 10 cents per bag. As you might expect, people are very angry about the change. We've been cussed out, called racists, told what we're doing is illegal, threatened with lawsuits, had people storm out vowing never to shop with us again. And one notable person said, "the president of your company should be taken out and shot" All over 10 cents.

Ugh. This program just started and I'm already dreading going to work.

Quoth Starkely View Post
    told what we're doing is illegal
    Not according to the law your state just passed, guys...o_O

Happens everywhere with a bag fee. Just take solace in the fact that it will (eventually) die down to a dull roar. I'd suggest maybe asking the bosses if it's OK to keep a stack of notecards next to the registers explaining how this all works, but they might end up being thrown at you as shuriken. We all know they don't want to read x.x I wish you luck, in the meantime
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Thank goodness I was missed the changeover in this town. It's been at least three years (four I think) since the bag law passed here. Even today a lady asked for a bag and I said it would be five cents and she was like "oh... things sure are different up here..." I see California has the option to buy thicker plastic bags for 10 cents, which most stores here do not have. We generally have paper or nothing. I've seen the 10 cent ones at the little Asian Market, though that is their only option, I don't think they have paper bags.

People will get used to it... In a few years...
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
        People will get used to it... In a few years...
        I wouldn't bet on it, my dad gets complains every couple of weeks and his shop has been charging for carrier bags for eight years. (the charge for bags came in to England on 5 October 2015) so they had been doing for a while then. Even though it was well publicised that they charge he still gets people going "You charge for bags!"
        Final Fantasy XIV - Acorna Starfall - Ragnarok (EU Legacy)

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
          ...People will get used to it...
          When all the old farts die who remember their grandpappy talking about the good old days when bags were free.

... I'm an optimist, you see ...
          Last edited by dalesys; 11-16-2016, 11:15 PM. Reason: schpeilchuck failure
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Ever since they decided that I should learn to cashier, I've been mentally preparing for the complaints about the bag charge, and I haven't gotten any! The closest is the lady that I mentioned, and some other people who were more surprised than angry.

It would probably be different if I worked at a grocery store or something.
            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I don't know about down there, but just about every freakin' store here has (supposedly) permanent shopping bags. No, they're not free, and they're not ten cents apiece either, but if you buy one (or a couple), gee, your whole problem with shopping bags goes *poof*.

I'd like to point out to these idiots that production of those bags isn't free, so why should they get them for free, but I can just imagine their reaction to that ...

Hang in there.
              Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
              ~ Mr Hero

Comment

We don't charge for bags here, however if a customer would try to grab a stack of bags (always to pick up dog crap), I'd tell them they were 5 cents each. Sorry, but the store pays for those bags, you get a free bag with your purchase but you do NOT get a hundred free bags just for existing. The result was always a lot of huffing and puffing and griping how they're "not that expensive" (Not when someone else is paying for them, you mean). Without fail, the jerk would walk over to an unmanned register and snatch a stack of bags and scuttle out the door.

Bagz are seriouz bisness.
                A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Not looking forward to the day when plastic bags are banned in my neck of the woods...considering how many times I hear the phrase, "I left my bags at home" from customers, there's gonna be hell to pay if we start charging for plastic, or simply do not have them at all.

Comment

I read this as "bean bag woes" for some reason and pictured some poor shlub at the Bullseye or somewhere similar getting yelled at over bean bag chairs.

We don't have a bag fee here yet, but the bags are getting thinner and thinner so that they really aren't worth using if you're doing more than taking them from a shopping cart straight to a car trunk. I use public transit and I've had my groceries scattered over the road by a self-destructing bag more than once.

The reusable cloth bags are SO much better than the plastic ones. They also don't cut into your fingers.
                    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

The City To The North Of Us has had a plastic bag ban for three or four years now, and The City To The South Of Us enacted one about a year and a half ago. We've been a holdout, but we've got one going into effect in July of next year.

I'm not looking forward to it, especially since we're a "you bag your own groceries" type store and I know our clientele are going to be pitching a fit about it for months and months after it goes into effect.

Comment

Quoth Starkely View Post
                        So, prop 67 passed here in California, which bans one-use plastic bags and has retailers charge at least 10 cents per bag. As you might expect, people are very angry about the change. We've been cussed out, called racists, told what we're doing is illegal, threatened with lawsuits, had people storm out vowing never to shop with us again. And one notable person said, "the president of your company should be taken out and shot" All over 10 cents.

Ugh. This program just started and I'm already dreading going to work.
                        Really? I thought I saw it was on your ballet.
                        AkaiKitsune
                        Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Quoth Rosco the Iroc View Post
                          Really? I thought I saw it was on your ballet.
                          That was when they were just dancing around the issue.
                          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I just keep my bags in the trunk of my car. I realize not everybody drives, but I'm rural; we have to drive, or hitch a ride with somebody else who is driving. Buses are few and far between.

Comment

A cashier last night said someone threatened to hit a coworker over the bag fee. Sheesh really people? I joke with cashier's about it and let them know I know what they are going through. Its 10cents I have better things to worry about.

Comment

Working...
                              X