This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I you want a decision you have to apply

BG: My job is processing second mortgages, otherwise know as home equity loans and lines of credit, on houses. I am back office, but I do reach out to customers directly to gather information that I need, get appraisal appointments set up and to make certain the loan officer didn't s**t the bag when explaining the major details of what a home equity loan means. I don't actually take the application or sit down with the customer to sign the closing paperwork, but I am pretty much everything in between "underwriting gave a pre-approval" to "when would you like to close on this".

It starts with a branch assistant manager emailing me to ask how we decide what type of appraisal we're going to do.

Popular question. Depending on the circumstances, and appraisal could run upwards of $700, or be waived entirely, and since the cost of the appraisal is passed along to the customer at closing, a lot of customers want to know what exactly it's going to be upfront.

Unfortunately, it is very difficult to figure out the exact cost without a completed application, because there are a LOT of factors that go into the decision. There is a reason we just have the loan officers quote the maximum. But I'm game. I give the assistant manager the list of factors that go into the decision. I let him know the average cost for the most common appraisals we do. I warn him that the appraisal is not the ONLY cost involved, though it is definitely the largest single item.

Next a loan officer calls, from the same branch. He wants to know when we would waive an appraisal entirely, and makes it clear there is a specific customer pushing for the answer.

We do go over the exact costs as soon as we know them, and the customer is obligated to nothing upfront.

Customer doesn't want to put in an application. Okay, fine. I understand. Even if we don't charge for an application, it does pull credit.

So I'll do what I can. Get for me {list of specifics} and I will see if I can give a more likely estimate for the customer. I'm could at couching my estimates in caveats, and I do understand wanting

Amazingly enough, I get {list of specifics}. Exactly what I asked for.

And, from what I can see, there is an excellent chance I'll be able to waive the appraisal entirely. That... makes me nervous. I hate estimating a waived appraisal without an application, even with caveats. But I sigh, give the loan officer an estimate of the maximum possible fees without an appraisal included and ask him to make certain to let me know if the customer does put in an application, so I can make certain it is assigned to me.

Loan officer wants to know if he can pass my contact information to customer, particular email. Apparently she has more questions before putting in an application.

Email? I'm good with that. Emails can be answered in my own time.

So, now I get email from customer. She does have a ton of questions, but not over the normal stuff. Not the terms or rates or how a line of credit works, etc. No, basically she wants me to tell her, without putting in an application, whether or not she would be approved.

Lady, even AFTER you put in an application, any approval given is conditional. And no, I cannot even make a guess as to if you would be approved prior to an application. This isn't even a 1st mortgage product where I can give a set credit score goal. Home equity lines of credit don't have a minimum credit score requirement. The home is within one of the states we work in? Yes. You own the home? Yes. You living in the home? Yes. You have something resembling a source of income that would cover all of your loan payments? Yes. You don't want to borrow more than the house is assumed to be worth? No. Then you may very well qualify. Everything else is an underwriting decision, and dependent on title search results, verification of your application details, etc. If you want a decision, underwriting needs to review a completed application with full details and credit history available, before they can make a decision. [Note this was worded in a much more customer-friendly manner.]

She has a credit report. Can she send that and see if she'd be approved.

No. That will not work. We really do need a completed application before making any sort of decision, even a tentative one.

But...

*sigh* Okay, I'm going to have to do what I hate: I'm going to have to defer to regulations.

We cannot, legally, in ANY WAY, shape or form, give an underwriting type decision without a completed application. And not just because I am not, personally, an underwriter. They cannot give a decision pre-app either. Other than verifying the basic points that would make a person not qualify for a loan at all, points I have already ruled out, we must have an application because we are required to disclose in a specific manner the results and reasons of the decision, especially if it were to be denied.

I am not going to look at her credit report, because I will NOT verbally imply that it looks bad (if such were the case) because I am not permitted, by law to give a "verbal denial" without an adverse action letter detailing the reasons.

I can say what I have said already: underwriting looks at these general factors when making a decision.

I cannot, and they cannot, make a decision without an actual application. Which takes 15-20 minutes to fill in, another 15-20 for an underwriiter to decision with a conditional approval, if applicable, costs you nothing and obligates you to nothing. Except, yes, we do look at your credit, which is a hard hit.

... Okay. She understands.

So can she meet with me to discuss this before she puts in an application?

No. I am back office. I have no way (or time) to meet with a customer in person. Please refer to loan officer and assistant manager, and I'll be certainly glad to do my best for her if she does get an application approved.

*sigh*

Bu-u-ut! There was a video on the "Up-In-The-Night" YouTwerp channel that said this was how to do it! Eleventysprocket!
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Just reading that was a little painful. I would suggest you should hope she'll go away.

Comment

I can't stand customers like that. "If I tell you my credit score, can you tell me if I can get a loan?" No. You have to apply first. And if they're credit score's bad, we can't tell them not to apply, either. That's by regulation, but it's also because their credit score might be different when we pull their credit.
        "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
        -Mira Furlan

Comment

So, she put in an application... was tentatively approved (pending verification of everything, title search, etc.) Got the title search back.

She's got an extra lien against the property. Turns out she participated in some sort of assistance grant program to help with her first mortgage a few years back. You don't have to pay those back, so long as you don't refinance or move out of the house within a certain number of years (5 seems typical). How do they make certain of this? They place a second mortgage on your property. You know, that lien position that the home equity loan you just applied for is trying to fill?

I call to talk to her about this. Her response:
          "Yeah, that's why I was worried about not qualifying."

Yet you didn't tell me the ONE thing you knew, upfront, that might be an issue?

*sigh*

She's going to find out how much it would cost to "pay off" the program early so they'll release the lien. If she waits it out, she won't have to pay it back at all, but apparently the home equity might be worth it for her.

Comment

WTF? You said she got into that program "a few years back", and that if you stay in your home and don't refinance for 5 years you don't have to pay it back. She wants to pay it back to get out of the "lock", and needs to borrow money to do so? There's a high probability that ALL the money she gets from a HELOC will go to paying off the program, so she won't be getting any cash in hand, just a new debt. Why not just wait it out?
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth bankworking View Post
              She's going to find out how much it would cost to "pay off" the program early so they'll release the lien. If she waits it out, she won't have to pay it back at all, but apparently the home equity might be worth it for her.
              I hope it really is worth it. If her program is anything like the grant I received ($7500 grant forgiven after 5 years), it is FREE MONEY. Unless the line of credit was for something urgent and critical, no way would I give up grant money just so I could get a loan.
              A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                I hope it really is worth it. If her program is anything like the grant I received ($7500 grant forgiven after 5 years), it is FREE MONEY. Unless the line of credit was for something urgent and critical, no way would I give up grant money just so I could get a loan.

That's my thought. She was estimating that it would be over $6,000 to pay it off. And yeah, it's free money if she waits it out.

I did have one guy who paid out of his similar program, but he only used the program for $3000, and the payoff ended up being around $1600 (the payoff goes down each year, typically). He was getting a $50,000 home equity loan, about 10k of which was going to pay off some horrible debts (18% APR and higher...that's over $5,500 thousand in interest for a 3-year payment plan...the home equity he qualified for was 5.25% APR...note that means that the interest over 3 years would be LESS on $50,000 than what he was currently paying on the $10,000 in debt) and the rest he needed for work on the house. The $1600 payoff of the assistance program was well worth it for him.

This lady? The math isn't working out in her favor in my head, but we'll see once she gives me exact numbers. I did do one debt consolidation where we did the math and figured we'd save the customer over $17,000 in interest. Insane what rates people will accept on credit cards and online lenders.
                Last edited by bankworking; 12-10-2016, 12:46 PM.

Comment

The loan agent who got us our house mortgage told me some stories of some of the customers she encountered. Like this one: "My dad didn't use his VA loan guarantee before he died. Can I use it?" She asked him when he'd served, and it turned out he had never served in the military. So, the answer was, "No, you can't." She also got the people who wanted to take out a mortgage on a house they didn't own, with a twist - the customer wanted the house's owner to have to make the payments.

Comment

Quoth Sparklyturtle View Post
                    She also got the people who wanted to take out a mortgage on a house they didn't own, with a twist - the customer wanted the house's owner to have to make the payments.

I'm not sure whether that's epic guts or epic stupid or some unholy mixture.
                    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Working...
                    X