This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep your hands to yourself!

In all the time I have worked in retail (about 11 years in total) this has never happened to me, and now it has happened twice in one week!
    The first time was a few days ago, a customer came in wanting to look at something in the window. Our windows are pretty crammed at this time of year so I said I would go outside with him so he could show me where it was. I walked outside first and stopped in front of the window and as he came behind me (bear in mind the street was empty, there was nobody around, no crowds etc, nice big wide open street) he put his hands on my waist and almost pressed himself up against me to get past me, kind of like you do if you're in a crowded bar and need to get through but a lot more creepy! I grabbed his wrists and shoved them back towards him and gave him a look but I was utterly speechless, I didn't know what to say! As it happens he bought the £200 necklace that he was looking at but still, it's not my business so makes no difference to me.
    The second one was today. I'm working in a different store and I'm working alone (which I absolutely hate). A guy comes in looking for earrings for his wife. He picks a pair out of the cabinet so I get them out and take him to the counter and hand one to him so he can get a proper look at them. So he proceeds to sweep my hair back behind my ear and hold the earring up against my ear to see what it looks like! Then he huffed at me because I darted out of his way! Don't get me wrong, we often have men ask if we can try on a necklace or hold up earrings to our own ears for them to see what they look like on, but they will always ask us to do it ourselves, not just feel it acceptable to do it themselves!
    Maybe it is me just being a little over sensitive, but that is not acceptable behaviour in my book.

Quoth Dizzy_1986 View Post
    Maybe it is me just being a little over sensitive, but that is not acceptable behaviour in my book.
    You are not in any way being oversensitive. Those guys were just being overly-touchy and kinda creepy, whether they meant to be that way or not o_O
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

This is where your soldering iron comes into play...

Comment

Yeesh, I feel for you, I hate people touching me without permission.
        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

The second guy might have just been clueless, but I have a feeling the first guy thought he could grab you because you're a retail worker and he thought you couldn't do anything about it. A lot of these assholes rely on women either being constrained by their jobs or just being so shocked they can't react right away.
          https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Haha, oversensitive? No... I don't like any contact, even when a little old lady pats my hand.
            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Hope you also told them don't hand you no lines.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

You're not being over-sensitive. I don't like being touched by people I don't know, either. In fact, I have to know someone very well before I'm comfortable with them touching me.

Besides, we all have our own standards of what we feel comfortable with. Whatever these people may have meant by it, you didn't like it. That's the important thing.
                Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

If my wife told me that some guy did that to her, he'd be in the hospital and I would be pleading my case with the magistrate. No, you are not oversensitive.

Comment

I'm feeling a little creeped out just imagining it.
                    The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Comment

Nope, not oversensitive at all. As somebody else said, Guy #2 might've just been clueless, but Guy #1 was genuinely creepy ... and frankly, Guy #2 wasn't far behind. It's one thing to hold an earring up close to somebody but he crossed a line when he pushed your hair back.

The guys who ASK you to try something on or hold it up in front of you are the good guys. These two need some lessons in basic civility.
                      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Perhaps he'd been watching the films in which you not only try them on for him,but then slip out of what you're wearing so he can see what they're like 'naturally'..... (apparently this only happens in the world of channel XX)

They might also be disappointed to find that when they pay,you don't invite them to grab your tits and go blubbl blubbl blubbl....
                        *cookies for reference*....
                        Last edited by Kit-Ginevra; 12-09-2016, 10:59 PM.
                        The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Oh HELL no. If it feels creepy, it IS creepy. BOTH of them were out of line. And I don't believe they didn't know it. Some guys get their jollies this way.

You would not have been wrong to tell both of them not to touch you. Fuck sales. Yes, I know it's easy for me to say, not being you, but the thing with guys like this is that if you don't lay down the law in plain terms, they will decide that you have no objection to things like that. It's what they count on. Sorry you had to deal with these creeps.
                          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

"Take yer stinkin' paws off me, you damn dirty ape!!!"

Comment

I remember a few years ago when Dear Abby had a retail worker write in complaining about touchy-feely customers, and how upset workers on this board were when Abby condoned the behavior as being part of the job.

It's not okay, and you are not wrong for feeling creeped out. An unwanted touch is an unwanted touch, and there is no reason someone needs to touch you in order to purchase various baubles.
                              A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Working...
                              X