This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We have crabs!

So, I went out today to open up the pool, and I saw something in the water that looked like a crab.

At first, I figured surely it had to be a leaf or something. But as I nudged it with the edge of the vacuum, it flipped over, and I saw it was indeed a crab. A real crab. Dead, but real. One of those little ones you find by flipping over rocks at the beach.

Other MOD fished it out with a skimmer. Later, I noticed a second crab! I sucked that one up and fished it out of the trap when I was done with the pool.

So, two little crabs, one male and one female. A crab couple. Other MOD and I named them Mr. and Mrs. Crab and held a brief funeral for them. CW did not take part in the funeral, though, choosing instead to roll her eyes and go back inside. (CW is kinda boring like that.)

We figure some little kid visited the beach yesterday, and snuck a couple pets back in his pocket, and then decided to take them to the pool to play with them. Too bad it's a freshwater pool, with chlorine and a heater. Poor little crabs.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

[insert obligatory Spongebob reference here]
    Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
    What's the difference?
    We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

This is not the post I was expecting when I opened this up.

Still, crab funerals make up for it.

Comment

any chance it snuck in on the water pipes?

Comment

It wouldn't have surprised me if the parents of said little kid put them in the pool, not thinking at all (as SCs are wont to do) about how it'd affect the crabs.
          If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

When I was a lifeguard at a week-long summer camp (many moons ago), we would get the occasional vole in the pool gutters that ran around the whole pool. I'm not entirely sure how they would get in the pool, but they couldn't get back out, so they'd climb into the gutters so they wouldn't drown. Any voles "rescued" in the morning (when we'd prep and clean the pool) ended up donated to the Nature Cabin's captive snake population.

A shame the movie wasn't out yet, or the lot of us would've sung "The Circle of Life" when we brought them over. I swear, ten weeks of being a 24/7 camp counciller does something to your mind...
            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
              A shame the movie wasn't out yet, or the lot of us would've sung "The Circle of Life" when we brought them over. I swear, ten weeks of being a 24/7 camp counciller does something to your mind...
              Does something? Wait, I thought you had to be insane when signing the contract for that kind of job...I know my time at Boy Scout camp required it

But poor crabs. Will people never learn that animals are happy where they live?
              My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Working...
              X