This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why? Why would you do this?

Backstory: My mom took this new job at a surgery center that just opened up. I've been helping her and her co-workers out by preparing/fixing all the necessary medical forms and stuff for them. So far, it's been going pretty well and I've been able to fix most everything they send.

And then today happened.

She forwards me this Excel document that she needs to be all on one page. Somehow (still not entirely sure how), I managed to fix it and get everything onto one page. I e-mail it back, she says it still looks like 2 pages. Seeing that, sure enough, it does still look like 2 pages when just viewed on Gmail, I asked her if she downloaded it to her computer. She goes to do that...and we rather immediately discover that the computers *at* her work don't have Excel. Apparently, the person who created the thing did so on their own computer without taking into consideration which programs the work computers might or might not have. Which makes me ask the question in the subject line.
    "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Short-term solution: print it to a PDF.

Comment

Yeah, that's what ended up happening. Still boggles my mind, though.
      "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Have them put LibreOffice on the work computers. It's free, open source, and can read almost any type of document in existence.

Comment

Quoth Silent-Hunter View Post
          Have them put LibreOffice on the work computers. It's free, open source, and can read almost any type of document in existence.
          Funnily enough, someone else suggested this to me as well. I've passed the idea along, but I don't know if it'll be used. I seriously hope so, though, because it would save me a lot of headaches.

Comment

Yeah, Libre or Open office.

I would too assume that most people have access to some sort of document editing suite even if only the free ones. Including spreadsheets. But for a work environment I would have checked to be sure...
            I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

We use Open Office here ^_^ Kinda like GIMP replacing Photoshop, it can do the overwhelming majority of MS Office's functions, and does the trick for us.

As for Excel/etc and mashing two pages into one:

OO Calc: Go into File... > Page Preview. Click Format Page, hit the 'Sheet' tab, and then look at the Scaling options at the bottom; "non-Ribbon"-style Excel (older editions) should do it in a similar way.

Excel 2010/"Ribbon" style: Go to File > Print. The 'scaling' option should be in the set of options given.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Do a good check through the Terms and Conditions of the freebie software. Some are not legit to be used if it is for a business purpose.

Now, the maker's probably not going to come hunt you down for it, but it might be important if you get audited for proper software usage.
                The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Abiword, Gnumeric, GIMP and Inkscape. They're all open-source software - so no problems with using them for any purpose - lighter-weight than Open/LibreOffice, and thus potentially more acceptable.

Comment

Working...
                  X