This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It Still Works That Way

In between all the password-reset calls ITSD has been flooded with since the furlough ended, I got this one...

As I've noted before, The Client recently rolled out the "Envy" desktop environment, which has users using NMS (New Mail System). The old ADE desktop environment used OMS (Old Mail System), which also allowed users to access various other non-mail-related databases.

User calls up and asks me if it's possible to save database links she was sent via IM to her NMS Favorites. It takes me a few minutes, via patient inquiry, to determine what she means. NMS has a "Favorites" folder at the top, which is just to save whatever mail folders a user creates to prioritize them.

User: "So I can't save links from [IM] to my NMS favorites?"
    J2K: "No, NMS is strictly for email. The links will open in OMS."
    User: "But I'm on Envy."
    J2K: "Yes, but OMS still works on Envy. You can't send or receive emails in OMS, but the databases will still work."
    User: "Even on Envy?"
    J2K: "Yes. If it opened in OMS on ADE, it'll open in OMS on Envy. NMS is only for email."
    User: "So that would work for [AppX] as well?"

I paused for a moment here and asked her to wait while I checked something. I confirmed that [AppX] is a web-based app, accessed on The Client intranet.

J2K: "AppX is a web-based app, so you would still access it via your browser."
    User: "Even though I've been put on Envy?"
    J2K: "Yes. Web-based apps are still web-based. OMS apps are still opened in OMS on Envy. NMS is just for email."

We went around like this at least one or two more times before she finally got it.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

been there

I don't do the same IT support you do but I get things like that a lot. To the point were you got just repeat yourself and repeat yourself until they are either A: finally get it or B: start foaming at the mouth and hang up. Either way, it's both a little funny and a little frustrating.

Comment

Quoth Killbox View Post
      I don't do the same IT support you do but I get things like that a lot. To the point were you got just repeat yourself and repeat yourself until they are either A: finally get it or B: start foaming at the mouth and hang up. Either way, it's both a little funny and a little frustrating.
      Yeah, I get that. What's worse is when they think they get it, but they really don't, and royally screw something up because they way they understood what you said is not what you said.

My mom does that a lot. The meds she is on for a number of health issues have fucked her ability to understand over the last decade, and her wires are seriously crossed. I've gotten to the point where she's using terms for things that have nothing to do with what the actual problem is. It's gotten to the point where I cut her off before she starts and just say "Okay, what device do you have a problem with, and when is the best time for me to come over?" Of course, since I run my own computer repair business, the third question comes to "Do you have any money to actually pay me this time?" If she doesn't, I go "Well, call me back when you do, because this is how I make my living, and no one gets tech support for free."

Yes, I know, it is mean to say that to my mom, but if you let it slide for one member of your family, they all want you to fix their stuff for free, no matter what industry you are in.
      The customer is not always right. Most of the time, the customer is a clueless moron. If this offends you, you are this moron.

Comment

Quoth Killbox View Post
        Its brain-lock. They're stuck on a certain thought and can't get past it. Usually you can break it by stating things another way, but you have to recognize when to use it.
        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
          Its brain-lock. They're stuck on a certain thought and can't get past it. Usually you can break it by stating things another way, but you have to recognize when to use it.
          Y'know, that explains my co-worker Betty who just gives me a blank look when I try to explain something.

Like today when I told her not to tell customers to send photos "via jpeg" because jpg is not a method of communication like email. I said you're going to confuse them, tell them to put the photo "in jpg format" and email it as an attachment. Cue deer in the headlights look. Of course, the customer she was speaking to probably didn't understand what she meant anyway, so maybe it's a moot point.

I'm about as far from technologically-fluent as you can get, but even I know things that she just can't seem to grasp.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
            I'm about as far from technologically-fluent as you can get, but even I know things that she just can't seem to grasp.
            You know what a .jpg is and what file format means. You're a damn sight further along than most I deal with.
            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

It gets worse, there have been posts about people taking a B/W or gray-scale BMP then changing the extension to JPG thinking that will turn it into a colour picture.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
                It gets worse, there have been posts about people taking a B/W or gray-scale BMP then changing the extension to JPG thinking that will turn it into a colour picture.
                I've gotten into arguments with my Mom about that kind of thing. Specifically about colorizing B&W films, and how she thinks it should be "easy" to do. Nothing I said about how time-intensive and expensive it would be could penetrate her arguments.

That all started from when she talked about wanting some B&W photos of her grandparents colorized. I asked her "How would they do that?" "Well, just colorize it!" "Okay, do you know what color that shirt they're wearing is? What about the dress on your grandmother's sister? What about the color of the house behind them? Do you know any of these?" "No!" "Then how would someone going in and colorizing them know how to color them properly?" "...well, it should be easy to do!" "Yeah, it 'should be.' But that doesn't mean it is."
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                X