Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > General Work Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 01:02 PM
Customer

Yaa for the Win!!! It will suck getting back in the groove but us types are use to over coming the small stuff. Enjoy your first day back.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:02 PM
Store Manager

I just got caught up to speed. I got started thinking.

This story exists in a state of quantum flux for being, both how the legal system should and should not work.

He won with the facts being on his side. (how things should work)
It took 15 months. I understand why the system is slow, and I am not sure how to fix it, but that is long. I wish we could find a way to get all of these type of cases down to 6 months or less, 12 with basic appeals, and 2 years if the supreme court gets involved.

Congratulations on the victory, not only for yourself but this is a win for all your brothers and sister in arms.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Old 05-23-2016, 02:38 AM
Bagger

Good luck going back to work. I hope all goes well.

Old 05-24-2016, 02:39 AM
Front End Supervisor

I hope your first day back went well!

Old 05-24-2016, 02:45 AM
Front End Supervisor

Here's the story of my first day back.

I showed up to work and was buzzed in by the receptionist, and quickly shown to the manager of my new office.

He had a big stack of "New Hire" paperwork. Apparently they had NONE of my old personnel records anymore, so everything right down to the I-9 form has to be repeated.

They didn't have any of the usual stuff they'd have for a new employee, they don't have my e-mail account set up, or my logins for any of the computer systems my job requires (or even for the employee timesheet system), much less a computer or an office.

They really did seem to just be in a rush to get me on the clock ASAP, even if all I can do is sit at an empty desk (find someone who is not in the office today and sit at their desk) and fill out new-hire paperwork. From the sound of things, they won't have much for me to do for a while.

One thing that I'm concerned about is, that my official work location is the office I requested, which is about 25 minutes from my house. . .but the supervisor said they have no work for me at that office, and the only place they have work available is at another office. . .over an hour away from that office and an hour and a half from my home. So, at least 2 days a week I'll have to drive to work, then sign out a government car and drive an extra hour to another office to work that day, then drive back, clock out, and get in my car and drive home.

At least I'm on the clock for that, but it seems to be undermining the spirit of putting me at my choice of work location, but just dropping me in on an office could mean they really didn't have a need for another officer there.

My new boss is a chatty guy with a thick southern accent who says he's near retirement and is just trying to make it to retirement. One of the first things he asks me is "What IS your story anyway? It's something special, I know that, but what exactly happened?" I don't know if he just wanted my side of it, or if he wasn't being told much through the grapevine, but I told him a version of the story that covered the basics.

It's a small office, much smaller than my old one.

On the plus side, the central office for the agency is located in the same building as my new office. . .so if they are foot-dragging on my back pay, the office of the person who handles it is right down the hall from me. . .I have to walk past their office to even go to the restroom.

I'd make a much longer post, but I'm exhausted, after 17 days on National Guard duty and now a regular work-week, I'm feeling rather worn out. I'm certainly looking forward to the Memorial Day weekend.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:56 AM
Chairman of the Board

Oh dear I imagine settling back in is going to be fun.

Old 05-24-2016, 05:06 PM
Chairman of the Board

Quote:
Quoth silverstaff View Post
One thing that I'm concerned about is, that my official work location is the office I requested, which is about 25 minutes from my house. . .but the supervisor said they have no work for me at that office, and the only place they have work available is at another office. . .over an hour away from that office and an hour and a half from my home. So, at least 2 days a week I'll have to drive to work, then sign out a government car and drive an extra hour to another office to work that day, then drive back, clock out, and get in my car and drive home.

At least I'm on the clock for that, but it seems to be undermining the spirit of putting me at my choice of work location, but just dropping me in on an office could mean they really didn't have a need for another officer there.
At least you get paid for the extra drive, so I wouldn't raise a stink about this just yet.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:23 PM
Assistant Manager

To be honest, I don't think they are trying to undermine the spirit of giving you the choice of work location, especially since it's fairly obvious they rushed to get you back on duty after they realised they were just costing themselves money. I'm guessing that their original plan was to promote somebody to the job of the retiring employee, and you would be the replacement for the promoted employee.Since they rushed getting you back to work, they ended up with no actual work for you to do.

still, it could be worse- they could have tried to give you your old job back by stealth- as in, working under the guy who got you fired.

it's also worth noting that it shouldn't be a great surprise things are complicated reinstating you- they will have hired a replacement for your old job by now anyway, even if you were willing to work for the asshole that got you fired, and there was not necessarily a vacancy to put you in. Since they're paying for you to drive to the other office, then who really cares?

Old 05-25-2016, 09:05 AM
Store Manager

Also, its probably complicated because they never had to do anything like this before. Having to figure out the strange paperwork while being rushed is never an easy adventure.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Old 05-25-2016, 05:37 PM
Chairman of the Board

Quote:
Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
Also, its probably complicated because they never had to do anything like this before. Having to figure out the strange paperwork while being rushed is never an easy adventure.
This makes sense. I'd give them some time and see how things go but do complain if things aren't working out to your satisfaction...
Closed Thread