This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need advice

I just about had a heart attack because the neighbor shoved something hard into the shared bedroom wall again, rattling the window. It's 10:40 pm. He has done this at 6:30 am, 1:30 am, and in the afternoon. I believe it was Saturday that he did it during the daytime and I emailed the property manager. She said she couldn't do anything about the middle of the afternoon noise but she had just emailed him about the other times of day.

It continues. Last night I couldn't get to sleep until 3:00 am after a couple of bumps at 11:00, I think, and 1:30 or so. I don't know the exact times; I was trying to sleep. I got maybe 5 hours of sleep and am dead in the water. The night before I was up late due to a migraine and got 5 hours then, too, so 10 hours in two days. The migraines are often caused by sleep deprivation. I emailed the manager last night but of course she won't see it for a while with the holiday weekend.

I am at this point afraid to try to go to bed for fear of being woken up in this manner and having a panic attack. Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and I need to drive 90 miles to my dad's and back. I need sleep. My new ongoing plan was to try to go to bed around 10:30 because it happens later than that. I figured if I could get to sleep then maybe I wouldn't hear it or I would but just go back to sleep. I figure if I've been out for 3 hours that might be more likely. But things didn't go as planned tonight. No matter; I should be able to go to bed at a reasonable hour if I want to.

I have outlined all this in emails. I don't want to call the cops on him. I don't even know if he saw her email. She really should be calling him or talking to him.

I'm keeping a log. This is what I have so far:

Wall Slamming Log

Dates are taken from past emails and future dates will be recorded here.

11/19/2019 around 6:30 am Three slams into the wall which shook window.
    11/22/2019 1:20 am wall hit 4 times but origin was not totally clear; window rattling
    11/24/2019 1:09 pm Bedroom wall was shaking again. It sounded like something hitting the floor.
    11/27/2019 Between 1:00 am and 2:00 am. The hardest impact to the wall was closer to 2:00 am, I believe. I was trying to sleep so I was not acutely aware of times, but the email was sent around 2:20.
    11/27/2019 10:40 pm One hard slam to the wall, window rattling.
    11/28/2019 9:38 am single slam into the wall by the window--not against quiet ordinance but I do not want things to fall off my wall
    11/30/2019 11:25 pm repeated banging into or hitting the shared bedroom wall, at least 10 times
    11/30/2019 midnight two slams into the wall
    12/2/19 2:50 am three slams into the wall that seem to be further from the window than before; I don't know exactly where it came from but it fits the profile for the unit next door
    I guess I could try to sleep on the blow-up bed in the living room. I should've gone to my dad's tonight but I wanted to go to the store for stuff for my retail job's potluck. Also, Stepmom's cats keep me awake all night anyway.

UPDATE: Seventeen days of peace and now it it 12:48 am and it's been 4 bangs into the wall since midnight. It's every 10 minutes. I've already emailed the manager. I am considering putting the blow-up bed in the living room. I totally stomped my feet on the floor earlier. Not proud of that. Still logging this. I cannot move per my lease until March because they don't want empty units when pipes could burst, I think.
    Last edited by Food Lady; 12-20-2019, 05:51 AM. Reason: Added to the log.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

I'd go to the property manager one more time and maybe add something like "this is the nth time I have brought this matter up, if it is not resolved soon I will need to take the matter further.".

I wouldn't call the cops just yet, maybe call the property manager directly and tell her that its causing you more then loss of sleep. If that doesn't resolve the issue, bypass the manager and go directly to the cops. -- even if it happens in the middle of the day. Tell them that this an on going issue, that the property manager hasn't got any results, and that this is causing you to lose more then just sleep.
    Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Quoth Android Kaeli View Post
      I'd go to the property manager one more time and maybe add something like "this is the nth time I have brought this matter up, if it is not resolved soon I will need to take the matter further.".

I wouldn't call the cops just yet, maybe call the property manager directly and tell her that its causing you more then loss of sleep. If that doesn't resolve the issue, bypass the manager and go directly to the cops. -- even if it happens in the middle of the day. Tell them that this an on going issue, that the property manager hasn't got any results, and that this is causing you to lose more then just sleep.
      Agreed. I would save the cops as a last resort.

You should absolutely NOT have to change YOUR sleeping habits because of the stupid neighbour.
      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
      X