Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > General Work Chat

Closed Thread

Evaluations being done on a daily basis at work
Old 07-22-2019, 03:32 PM
Parking Attendant

Default Evaluations being done on a daily basis at work

I work at the front end as a cashier for a major grocery store chain, and for the past 2 months, the cashiers and courtesy clerks/baggers have been evaluated several times by different Front End Supervisors and Managers as well as the Store Manager. These evaluations are done in writing. There is a form that they use to evaluate everyone.

I have been working for my employer since 2016.

Several of my co-workers have been there longer than I have.

Then there are some co-workers who have not the been there as long as I have been there as well as my other co-workers.

A courtesy clerk/bagger who just began last week was evaluated a couple of days after he started work.

So far I have been evaluated three times by the Assistant Front End Manager, once by the Store Manager and once by the Lead Bookkeeper in this order.

So far my evaluations have been good.

Why would my employer be doing this?

Old 07-22-2019, 04:00 PM
Phoneshop Minion (Ex-techie)

Finding the worst employees in order to start the process of firing them?

Old 07-22-2019, 08:53 PM
Seasonal Tax Preparer

Agreed with Simon, that seems the most logical explanation.

Who is John Galt?
-Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Old 07-23-2019, 07:02 PM
Trying to tame the paper tiger

I have some possible scenarios.

Best one : They are checking to see what the best workers do so it can become standard procedure or training for the less efficient or new employees.

Second one : They are rating the employees from best to least efficient in the different job tasks and are preparing fire some of them (likely, as Simon and taxguykarl said).

As if that would happen one : Best employees get a bonus.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:49 PM
Ex-Puncher of Tickets

Sounds like a hostile work environment to me, getting evaluated every 5 minutes.

Old 07-24-2019, 08:22 AM
The Hero CS Deserves

Paper Trail. They wanna have something on record for all employees to use as "cause" when it comes time to fire people en masse...and that time is almost certainly coming.

"Sexual intellectuals. They're f@%#ing know-it-alls" - Chuck Yeager
"Good men don't need rules; today is not the day to find out why I have so many." - The Doctor
"[Friendship,] like philosophy, like art, like the universe itself … has no survival value; rather it is one of those things which give value to survival.” ~ C. S. Lewis

Old 07-24-2019, 12:45 PM
Stockboy

At my Store, the management uses your cashier efficiency (I.e. items scanned per minute) as a metric to grade cashiers and decide who to give the most hours or put on busier shifts.

...Or at least they should, because as a supervisor I have access to that info, and I can't seem to find any corollary between cashier efficiency and how they're scheduled. We could honestly do with a little more evaluation so that we're not getting lines backed up at the same times every day and floor crew having to drop what they're doing and run up to save the front end's bacon.

Old 07-24-2019, 01:55 PM
Highly Trained Professional

For awhile at my job they were really big into "coaching". Basically, a manager would watch you interact with a customer and grade you on it. Then talk to you about it, stuff like you did this good but could do this better. Most of it was silly but corporate required it. Managers were required to do so many a week, it was really a crazy number. Even the store manager was required to do them, she had to do 30 a week at one point. We're not a big store at the time had maybe 20 staff members, about half that now.

Then it changed to where this coaching will still be done but we'd probably never know it happened. What? Did this turn into something alien where we thought it happened but there was no proof? How can employees improve (in theory) if you don't talk to them about their behavior? After awhile the whole coaching thing just went away. Now it doesn't matter. Nobody gets called into the office about what they do so everyone just does what they want. Take multiple/long breaks, take out their phones on the sales floor, do things half-assed or not at all.

Rumor and gossip is that this all may lead up to cleaning house to make sure the company meets their cost cutting goal. There's been a few stores that fired people because of behavior. But hey, it's giving overtime at other stores to people who want it! It's approved!

Last edited by Trixie; 07-24-2019 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Words are hard.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:29 PM
Chairman of the Board

Quote:
Quoth snugglegirl05 View Post
Why would my employer be doing this?
Because they hired some consultants who said they should do that. I think the consultants names' were Bob and Bob.

Last edited by Ironclad Alibi; 08-05-2019 at 02:40 AM.

Old 07-25-2019, 08:19 AM
Assistant Manager

Sounds to me like corporate has decided to save some money by firing higher paid people and replacing them with min wage ones and are looking for a way to do it without getting dragged into court.
Closed Thread