Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That guy has a very disturbing idea of what "playful" behavior looks like. Makes you wonder how that translates to other aspects of his life.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

One key indication between "playful" and "NOT PLAYFUL ROAR" is not the growling or teeth showing. It's really the full body.

~GENERALLY SPEAKING~
      If the full body is loose and wiggling, then the dog is relaxed and friendly.

It's when the entire body goes straight stiff (and the dog is not suffering from previous injury...) head and tail gets put in line with the body, and the hackles go up - not to mention SUPER, FIXATED wide eyes - that signifies "I am not in happy playful time. LEAVE ME ALONE/I'MMA BITE YOU!"

Of course, any time you feel uncomfortable with any kind of posture from either your dog or another's dog you should 100% state "Please keep your dog away/please stay back" etc. Better to avoid a situation entirely than try to keep prepared for what MIGHT happen (because if you are tense and worried, your dog is going to go "Wait. Mommy/Daddy/Sister/Brother is really worried and tense... what's wrong? WHAT SHOULD I BE DOING?" and get tense as well.)

And wheeitsme;

If I had not had the spray and the dog lunged like it had, I would not have hesitated to kick it right in the flank. Not hard enough to do damage mind you, but enough to shock the hell of it and warn it that I was the alpha-bitch here and it WOULD NOT act that way.

Though I'm glad I had the spray too, I wouldn't want to have dealt with that owner after I kicked his dog -.-;

I have, though, at my job, had to heft up a huskyX who was in a fight (a straight up FIGHT) with a rotty and chuck it across the room... then I had to do the same to the Rotty. It's amazing what you can do on an adrenaline rush.

NOTE: DO NOT DO THAT IF YOU ARE NOT TRAINED AND 100% CONFIDENT YOU CAN STOP THE FIGHT WITH THE FIRST "ATTACK". YOU WILL GET HURT, AND PROBABLY HURT THE DOGS TOO.
      Last edited by AmbrosiaWriter; 08-24-2013, 02:24 AM.
      My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
      It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Quoth Phantasmagoria View Post
        (P.S. Allowing your dog to chase after someone's horse and run round and round it for a full five minutes while you smirk and occasionally give a feeble whistle is also SO not okay! Particularly when one of the horses has a child on board and the other is a youngster. We could have both ended up on the floor, or your dog could have received a large hoof to the face which wouldn't have left it particularly healthy)
        A dog doing that in New Zealand will get SHOT, no questions asked. A farmer that finds a dog harassing their stock, be it horses, sheep, deer, cows, ANYTHING like that is authorised to OPEN FIRE on the dog because it is perceived to be hostile and a threat to their property.
        Last edited by Kagato; 08-24-2013, 04:10 AM.
        Violets are blue,
        Roses are red,
        I bequeath to thee...
        A boot to the head >_>

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
          That's when, if you've got a secure enough grip, you pull out your mobile phone, take a picture of the dog and the owner, then tell him you're about to call the cops if he doesn't beat it.
          Meh. Call the cops. If he does it to you, he'll do it to other people.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

My Jack Russell cross (RSPCA dog, we're not really sure what the rest of her is) will put up with a lot from other dogs, bigger or smaller, but when she gets tired of it, she will bark really loudly in the ear of the other dog. No idea where she learned that trick, but I've seen Rotties and German Shepherds take off at the unexpectedness of it. Always fun!
            "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

My pooch is half collie half lab. He likes people well enough, but he's picky about the dogs he likes. Some he adores (he has a friend that we do playdates with on a regular basis), and some he's neutral about, and a few he just hates. I always keep him on a short leash when we walk, and "down" him when another dog passes. I don't know if your puppy is social and I don't know if my puppy will like your puppy. It's not personal...
              The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth Kagato View Post
                A dog doing that in New Zealand will get SHOT, no questions asked. A farmer that finds a dog harassing their stock, be it horses, sheep, deer, cows, ANYTHING like that is authorised to OPEN FIRE on the dog because it is perceived to be hostile and a threat to their property.
                The same goes for rural NC. I've seen it . The rental we were in had a second house on the property (if you have 2+ acres you can put two homes on it) that was the property owners son's home. The dirt lane leading to the property was owned by the family that had the three plots above the owner's property. There was not much love between the two sets of owners, but the dirt lane was a right of way thing.

Owner's son had 3 dogs. Two large, and one small. The two large dogs roomed around the area but were NOT leashed or restricted to their own property. The family up the lane had cats (and not enough brain power to realize that trying to shoot birds out of their trees could, y'know, end badly for someone a good long ways away) decided that they had enough of the wandering dogs and shot one. It was injured but not dead and limped down to our rental to die outside one of the windows. It was a crap day, and the owner was fairly flippant and said "well he did warn me". It's perfectly legal in our county to take any action against animals (well, and humans) that are unwanted on your property. We didn't stay in that rental much longer after that incident.
                But the paint on me is beginning to dry
                And it's not what I wanted to be
                The weight on me
                Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post

Everyone at my place of work is supplied with "Stop Bite/SprayShield." It is also known as citronella spray. It is 100% safe for dogs (otherwise we wouldn't use it) and it just smells REALLY bad to them. You spray it on their nose as they start to go for an attack and BAM! Problem solved.

So guess what I did?

You bet your first born I did! I whipped out the spray and hit the mix dead on the nose. He backed off with a surprised yelp, then scuttled away, sneezing and licking his nose (which he would be doing for the next 5 minutes.)

Should have sprayed the dog owner, too.

Comment

Quoth An Haddock View Post
                    Should have sprayed the dog owner, too.
                    Damn I was going to say that. Beat me to it
                    Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording you scope.

Comment

The OP did the right thing.

It doesn't matter how friendly you THINK your dog is, you have no right to force your dog on someone else's dog if they say NO.

I also live in NC. People are allowed to carry concealed weapons in public parks now in this state. So, this guy also would have risked his dog getting shot in this situation.
                      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Sounds like the guy deserved a spray to the face too.

Comment

Our dog is, as far as I can tell, some beagle/cocker spaniel/who knows what else mix. She's slightly dumber than your average brick. She's got this built in soulful stare, so sad it makes you wanna cry. On average, she's a happy somewhat hyper gal, and likes to go out in the back yard (close to an acre, maybe a bit more fenced in) and just be a dog.

She does NOT get on with other dogs, and we know this. Since we do have a nice big secure yard she can run around in, we don't take her out for walks very often. When we do she's in a harness so we can keep control of her, since we know she will try to attack another dog that gets close enough.

Might look into that citronella spray, might be useful some day if we meet a clueless shouldn't-be pet owner like the OP had the misfortune to.
                          You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Working...
                          X