This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want a job too

I suppose this will fit here as the person in question is not working here. Or at all.

Now, I had been asked by HR to interview some applicants for a certain position. I was given a list of people, their CVs and got a room scheduled.

I am told by reception that my interview is there. I go "pick him up"; I notice that he is sitting there with another person, also in business attire, but I don't take much notice ofthe other guy. He stood up and shook my hand when I arrived, so I just assumed he was someone else's interviewee.

Anyway. I do my interview, no problem. Nice guy (not the right person for the job though, too bad).

I walk out the man I had just interviewed, the other person is still there. As I walk by him, he stops me.

"Good afternoon Mr. [Ivanish], I am [Interviewee]'s brother, would you mind interviewing me as well?"

I remain puzzled, tell him that I don't have time (which is not a lie by the way, I had more interviews scheduled) but that I can take his CV and pass it on to HR. Which is what we do any time someone turns up at the door with a CV. Happens, right? Right.

But no, he doens't have a CV on him. He just wants an interview.

I say that I am really unable to accommodate him but he can e-mail recruitment sending his CV.

Well, what does he do?

Of course.

Storms out.

And calls me a racist (they both are of a different ethnicity than mine).

Thankfully his brother (or "brother?") stood behind and apologized. A lot.

UPDATE: I have just been told that the brother (the decent guy) has been hired. For a different role, for which he is more suitable.
    Last edited by C. Cecil Ivanish; 08-28-2013, 04:30 PM. Reason: Update to the story
    FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

You're not a unique snowflake unless you create your own mould (Raps)

***GK, Sarcastro, Lupo, LingualMonkey, BookBint, Jester, Irv, Hero & Marlowe fan***

Ah, another example of mistaking anti-stupidity and entitlement for racism. Gotta love it.

No, really I don't...
    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
      Ah, another example of mistaking anti-stupidity and entitlement for racism. Gotta love it.
      Aye, he was somehow even sweet in his idiocy.

Not.
      FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

***GK, Sarcastro, Lupo, LingualMonkey, BookBint, Jester, Irv, Hero & Marlowe fan***

Comment

Quoth C. Cecil Ivanish View Post
        Aye, he was somehow even sweet in his idiocy.

Not.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cNsmt2YZXA
        It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Yay, Neil Innes!

Dumb brother is dumb. Granted, he was dressed for the interview, but to not even have a resume? And to expect an interview right then and there without an appointment?! And the whole "racist" thing, the very icing on the cake, blaming others for his own foolishness. He's not going to go very far with that mindset and a total lack of planning.
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Storming out won't get him that job.

Comment

I always thought the whole job application process was part of "getting a job." I mean, what company would want to hire someone who is highly unlikely to follow procedure?

*sigh* It's like skipping steps in a recipe.. you might get lucky and wind up with something edible. More often than not, however, you just wind up with a mess.
              If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                Dumb brother is dumb. Granted, he was dressed for the interview, but to not even have a resume? And to expect an interview right then and there without an appointment?! And the whole "racist" thing, the very icing on the cake, blaming others for his own foolishness. He's not going to go very far with that mindset and a total lack of planning.
                Exactly.

First of all: you want a job, your own brother applied following procedure, ask for his help. Nobody will notice. Not that the procedure requires a degree in rocket science. The vacancy was for a phone/e-mail jockey position. I'd like you to be able to send e-mails, you know.

Second: if you really want to bring in your resume instead than e-mailing it fine - do so. We have a nice lady sitting at the reception (she actually is a manager, but you don't even need to know), she will take your resume from your hands, smile at you, pass the resume on to HR and HR will call you. Or not. HR's decision.

Third: the almighty race card. After I have conducted a long (OK, you can't know if successful) interview with your brother. Who of course is your same race. As I said I didn't hire the nice brother, he is not qualified enough. I hired a different guy. Same ethnicity.

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
                Storming out won't get him that job.
                That and other things.

Quoth raudf View Post
                I always thought the whole job application process was part of "getting a job." I mean, what company would want to hire someone who is highly unlikely to follow procedure?
                *sigh* It's like skipping steps in a recipe.. you might get lucky and wind up with something edible. More often than not, however, you just wind up with a mess.
                What's not to like? Custard, good. Jam, good. Meat, Goooooooood.
                I agree with the principle, though. I actually went through redundant job application procedures and was told at the end that they were "early filters" to see if the candidate is able to follow instructions (and if s/he wants the job enough to waste 20 minutes in answering to the same questions over and over again).
                FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC

Comment

Working...
                X