This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Gems Thus Far

Hello all. This is my first time posting about my sucky customers, so it will be somewhat long. Enjoy!

*Keep in mind, where I work, we don't have baggers anymore. We have little carousels and are expected to ring up items and bag them at the same time.*

Italics are thoughts.

Despite what you think, I was not lying to you.
    This happened on my very first night cashiering. One of my trainers was watching over me and the two people I started with. This couple comes through with washcloths and hand towels: a gold set, and a red set. The red washcloths were on clearance, but the gold ones were not.

M: Yours truly
    T: Trainer
    SC: You know (the wife was pretty much the only one talking)

M-*scanning the washcloths*
    SC-Those didn't ring up right.
    M-Pardon?
    SC-Those are supposed to be on clearance.
    M-*checks for clearance sticker* Umm...I think the red ones are, but these ones aren't.
    SC-But they were all on the clearance rack. They should be on clearance too.
    M-*calls trainer over*
    T-What's the problem?
    SC-Those washcloths are supposed to be on clearance, but she's telling me they're not. *turns to husband to confirm that they're supposed to be on clearance*
    T-I'm sorry, but there's no clearance sticker on these. The price coming up is right.
    SC-Well I don't want them then. Take them back.
    T-*takes washcloths back*

I went on my break soon after that, and my trainer came over and told me that they had gone back into the store, got the washcloths again, and went through someone else's lane to give them a hard time. The wife gave me the most malicious smirk I have ever had directed towards me...

I know I have thick hair, but damn...
    This took place during my first week, once I was on my own. It started off normal, me greeting the customer and everything. Then it went downhill.

SC-*mumbling to self, fits in random question and waits expectantly*
    M-*wasn't listening to ramblings, but notices SC is waiting for an answer*I'm sorry, what was that?
    SC-YOU HAVE HEARING PROBLEMS! MAYBE YOU SHOULD MOVE YOUR HAIRAWAY FROM YOUR EARS
    M-*has hair pulled back with a headband*......
    SC-*sigh* I asked what those little F's appearing next to my items on the screen mean. Do they mean "food"?
    M-I'm not sure. They might...
    *A couple of minutes pass*
    M-*notices that the carousel is getting full*Excuse me ma'am, do you think you could possibly put a few bags in your cart--
    SC-No. I don't do that. I have back problems.
    M(has had 3 back surgeries for scoliosis and has permanent rods attached to spine)-*starts putting bags in cart*
    SC-I have no idea how I'm going to get these bags in my car.
    M-Well, you should've thought of that before, princess.

Oh dear God...TMI
    SC-*brings up tabloid magazine*Look at this picture. It looks like Britney Spears's fly is unzipped. (Yes, that was indeed the first thing he said to me)
    M-.....
    SC-You would think the editors would see that and take it out. Oh well. You know, tabloids are worth looking at sometimes. I'd never buy them, but they're fun to look at.
    M-*agrees*
    SC-I usually just look at them for the pictures, just as if I'm looking at Playboy.
    M-....
    SC-*rambles on about something else I didn't pay attention to*Yeah, I'm here shopping for my wife. Does your husband shop for you?
    M(idiot)-I don't have a husband.
    SC-Oh. Well, I don't really have a wife, if you're interested.
    M-Ok, you look old enough to be my father and you're creeping the hell out of me. Of course I'm interested *sarcasm*. Sir, I'm only 19.
    SC-Oh, that's young enough. The girl I was interested in the other night was 18. I saw that she graduated in 2007, and she asked me what year I graduated. I was like "honey, you don't want to know". I told her I graduated in 1979, but I really graduated in 1969.
    M-Ok, your total is $96.XX
    SC-*hands over 5 $5 bills and the rest $1 bills*
    M-*counts* Sir, you're $10 short.
    SC-Damn, I hate when I get caught. *hands over 10 more $1 bills*

It's scammer time.
    This customer wasn't bad, until the very end. We were actually having a pleasant conversation, but then she wanted to pay for her $300something order with a $500 American Express traveler's cheque. For the record, American Express does not make $500 traveler's cheques, but I didn't know that. I tried processing the order, but my register wouldn't let me. You can only get $100 cash back with a traveler's cheque, and so it was giving me a message saying "over change limit $100". I called my service coordinator over (also labeled an SC, which always tends to confuse me) and she couldn't figure it out either. The lady stormed off, demanding to speak to a manager. The managers went around the system, processed her order, and gave her the change back.

The next day, my mom came home and told me that they had found a fake traveler's cheque (my mom works in the cash office at the store I work at). Thankfully, it was under a manager's number and not mine, so I'm not at fault.

I really don't think you need that much soy milk anyway...
    An older woman came through my lane with 10 coffee creamers and 10 big jugs of soy milk. Reason? Rainchecks. Always a pleasure dealing with those. Ours expire after 30 days. If the product still isn't in, you can talk to someone and have another raincheck made to give an extension.

SC-*accidentally knocks over a big thing of soy milk and picks it up* I don't want this anymore. It's damaged.
    M-*takes it, even though it didn't bust, and there's just a tiny dent in the corner of the container*
    SC-I have rainchecks for these *hands over raincheck*
    M-*checks expiration date (this was at the end of October, and the raincheck expired in September)*I'm sorry, I can't take this. It's expired.
    SC-Well you never had any.
    M-I still can't take this.
    SC-Call a manager and ask.
    M-*calls manager, explains story, and told not to give it to her*I'm sorry, I still can't accept this.
    SC-Fine. *storms off to the service desk, where they wrote her a new raincheck, and leaves me with 10 jugs of soy milk and 10 coffee creamers*

Apparently the words "12 items or less" mean nothing to you.
    A women of older age and larger proportions in a wheelchair came in one day. She had apparently gone through the store, picked up all of her general merchandise items that her senior discount could be used on, and then went back into the store to get her groceries. The greeter brought the cart of GM items over to me to keep an eye on, and we were going to move it to a regular lane once she was finished since I was on express. She finally came up to me, told me that the cart behind me was hers, and sat there expecting me to ring her up.

M-I can't take you here, this is 12 items or less.
    SC-Well that greeter over there told me I could come through here.
    M-I'm sorry, but she was mistaken. This is an express lane. (I had about 4 other customers at this point)
    SC-Fine. Can you call someone to move my stuff so I can go through another lane?
    M-*continues ringing up customers and attempts calling someone over*
    SC-Nevermind, it's fine. I'll just have you ring me up after this customer.
    M-I'm really not supposed to do that.
    SC-Well, I was told that I could be rung up here, so I'm staying.
    M-*gives in and starts ringing her up, then watches as more people come into the line*

I felt bad because she had around 50 or so items, but she really gave me no choice. People got frustrated, I apologized endlessly, and they understood for the most part.

Guess he really needed his Chunky soup...
    I was once again on an express lane. I had my light shut off, and was about to go on my lunch break. I had two customers left. One of them had 10 cans of Healthy Request Campbell's Chunky soup and told me to take the other person because he had to go get his raincheck out of his car. So I took the other guy and waited about 10 minutes for the Chunky soup guy to come back.

CSG-*hands me raincheck*
    M-*checks expiration date (this was on December 12; the raincheck expired October 12)* Sir, this expired October 12.
    CSG-No it didn't, that's when I got it.
    M-It would still be expired if you got it October 12...No, you got it September 12 *points out date of issue on the top*
    CSG-Oh. Well you never had any.
    M-Why do they always use that excuse? I understand that, but I still can't take it.
    CSG-What?! But you never had any!
    M-*calls service coordinator over and explains situation*
    S-I'm sorry sir, but we can't take this. It's expired.
    CSG-But you never had any!
    S-I understand that, but we really can't take it.
    CSG-But you never had any!
    S-*calls up manager*I have a gentleman here who has an expired raincheck. *pause* It expired two months ago.
    CSG-It did not! It expired more like 3 weeks ago!
    M-No, it did not. It expired October 12.
    CSG-What's the date today?
    M-December 12.
    CSG-Oh...

We ended up having to give it to him because of our pushover managers. He departed with this lovely statement:

CSG-You know, these soups go on sale like every other week. I'll probably come in next week and they'll be on sale again, so it really wasn't that big of a deal.

That's all I can think of for now. I'll post more as they happen.

Let me guess, you're in Michigan, so your store name begins with a M and ends in R, right?

My ex sister in law works at the same chain here in Ohio. She also has a GREAT time (note sarcasm) dealing with the raincheck SC's.

Some of her customers are truly horrifying. My faith in humanity really plummets everytime she tells me some of her SC stories.

And, seriously?? Was he really claiming that there was no Chunky soup for 3 months? What a freakin' idiot. Your manager is too. I hate spineless managers like that.
    "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Ah, the $500.00 Traveller's Checks. A few cashiers took a few of those before word got out that they didn't even exist. We were on the lookout after word came down but we didn't see anymore after that.

Did the lady end up getting the gold washcloths for clearance price when she went to the other register?
      "Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did."
      George Carlin

Comment

Haha yeah, I work at the M...R store. And I hope he really didn't expect us to believe they were out of Chunky soup for 3 months. We replenish that stock like crazy.

And honestly, I never found out about the the washcloth customers. That smirk that the wife gave me makes me suspect she got her way, but I'm not positive.

Comment

$500 Travelers Check

**Note: I understand at a register you can't do this, but there should be no excuse if the time is taken to call a manager for them not to check into this for $200 in cash back.**

American Express has a toll free number you can call to verify the authenticity of travelers checks. I understand that usually this is too time consuming. On a $500 item though, that's worth a little extra time to find out it's a fake.
          "Any free samples?"
          "Sorry, not today."

Come on people, we're a bank not a bakery.

Comment

Quoth Bank Lady View Post
            $500 Travelers Check

**Note: I understand at a register you can't do this, but there should be no excuse if the time is taken to call a manager for them not to check into this for $200 in cash back.**

American Express has a toll free number you can call to verify the authenticity of travelers checks. I understand that usually this is too time consuming. On a $500 item though, that's worth a little extra time to find out it's a fake.
            I know, but the managers who took the travelers cheque are not the brightest bulbs in the bunch, and therefore did not think of it. This was also the first time I ever had a customer come through with a travelers cheque, and I didn't know about the number or anything. Of course, a few days after the incident, a bulletin was put up about fake $500 American Express travelers cheques and the number to call to verify. Go figure.

Comment

Working...
            X