This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Pezzle View Post
    That sucks. Fabreze is the only reason I haven't washed my work pants in 2 weeks and nobody can tell!

(Gross yes, washing machine = broken, laundromat = money)
    Kitchen sink, laundry tub or bathroom basin =/= money.

Fill the sink or basin with water. Examine the clothes to be washed. Dampen a bar of hand-soap or laundry detergent, rub soap into any stains or particularly dirty spots. 'wash your hands' in the water with the hand-soap to get plenty of soapiness in the water, or add laundry detergent.

Put the clothes into the sink or basin and swish them around.

Rub stained bits against each other. (not brocades, laces, beaded fabrics and the like). If the stain is stubborn, you might need to rub for anything from ten seconds to ten minutes, depending on stubbornness and size.

Swish for a while - two or three minutes if the water stays clear, five or ten if it doesn't.

If the water is an icky brown or grey, let it out, refill, wash the clothes again. (still with soap)

Hopefully it'll only take one or two changes before the water stays clear to your eyes.

Let the water out. Squeeze the clothes until there's not much water comes out when you squeeze. (Don't squeeze knits)

Refill the tub. Rinse the clothes - no soap, still with the swishing. Let the water out.
    Refill and rinse again, to make sure all the soap is out of the clothes. If you like to use a fabric softener, put it in during this rinse.

If you can't afford them to be wet in the morning, lay a towel on the floor. Lay the clothes flat on the towel, roll the clothing and towel together. Walk all over the towel, squishing the water out of the clothes and into the towel.
    (Do this with knits, too - hanging a knitted garment up wet will stretch it out)

If you have a dryer, you can put a towel-squished garment into the dryer.

If you don't have a dryer, and you don't have a drying rack or a washing line, put the garment on a hanger and hang it over any tiled surface or in the shower or something.
    If the garment is knitted, lay it flat, preferably on an airing rack, but on a towel on the kitchen table will do in a pinch.
    Last edited by Seshat; 07-31-2007, 02:45 AM.
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

My mother is quite sensitive to scents- but only 'fake' chemical smells, she;s alright with natural essential oils. So when she's behind one of those people who marinade themselves in nasty cheap chemical perfume she starts wheezing and coughing. Luckily nothing lethal, but it can set off her mostly dormant lung problems. Me, it just makes my eyes itch.

No-on can expect people to not wear perfumed things at all- me, I love nice smelly things- but I think people who marinade themselves in scent should be drowned in a vat of cheap knockoff perfume.
      Deepak Chopra says, "Fear deprives people of choice. Fear shrinks the world into isolated, defensive enclaves. Fear spirals out of control. Fear makes everyday life seem clouded over with danger.

Comment

Quoth Raieth View Post
        Personally I'm allergic to the "Freshness" Chemical.

Fabrezee can kill me if I breath it in. Instant anaphaxtic shock.
        Fabreeze is actually a notable irritant to a surprising number of people. Enough so that the know-it-alls who volunteer their advice on the eBay forums suggest asking before using it on anything that is to be shipped, or at least mentioning it in the listing.

As for the person talking about the flavored cigar, I despise those. The big thing with dopers right now is to smoke what are called "blunts." Basically, they take a thin flavored cigar, cut out the tobacco and replace it with whatever they have, and smoke it that way. I hate cigars to begin with, but flavored wrapping papers just make me want to hurl right off.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
          Laundry Advice
          Holy crap, I'm totally buying a drying rack. Becuase my dryer is ALSO broken.

-punches mechanic that was supposed to fix it over 2 months ago and keeps ignoring me-

Comment

Quoth Pezzle View Post

-punches mechanic that was supposed to fix it over 2 months ago and keeps ignoring me-
            (laughs)

I have been REALLY, REALLY poor in the past. Fortunately for me, both my mother and my grandmother were the type of people to remember how things were done before the chemical/electronics industries provided so many timesavers. And they were the type of people to pass those tips on.

If you want more such things, open a thread in the off-topic forum and ask. I'm sure I'm not the only one who knows such tips.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
              Fabreeze is actually a notable irritant to a surprising number of people. Enough so that the know-it-alls who volunteer their advice on the eBay forums suggest asking before using it on anything that is to be shipped, or at least mentioning it in the listing.

As for the person talking about the flavored cigar, I despise those. The big thing with dopers right now is to smoke what are called "blunts." Basically, they take a thin flavored cigar, cut out the tobacco and replace it with whatever they have, and smoke it that way. I hate cigars to begin with, but flavored wrapping papers just make me want to hurl right off.

^-.-^
              oh yes im fermilure with the whole over cent and substitute bit, i use to work in drug and alcohol rehab for a while, as well as had quite a few friends who liked their blunts. belive me i know what that smells like and unless it was some pretty low quality stuff i can spot the scent of it even when its covered, this was all flavored ciggorello. it also did not appear to be altered. and it still had its little bite end at the end of it, i gave it a good looking over cause i was trying to figure out what the new smell was that was makeing me so ill.
              "Let's connect to some ones cyberbrain who is meditating, so we can download enlightenment" one of the Tachikomas (Ghost in the Shell 2nd gig)

Comment

Quoth Pezzle View Post

When I was really little, our dryer broke, and my dad (who was a mechanic, among other things) was supposed to fix it.

My mom hung everything on the line for a week, and he still hadn't fixed it.

So, being the pro-active woman she was, she then started hanging our clothes on the line and left my dad's in a pile, wet, in the bedroom, turning it regularly to keep it from mildewing.

The dryer was working again in just 3 days.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Pezzle View Post
                  I do notice though if I breathe in Lysol spray, my throat feels tight and I feel nauseated.
                  Lysol, Fantastik, or Mr Clean (and even, surprisingly, Simple Green unless it's diluted) will all set me wheezing. So will Axe sprays and one or two brands of perfume - unfortunately I don't know which!

Comment

The big thing with dopers right now is to smoke what are called "blunts."
                    Right now? Heck, blunts have been a big thing with dopers for quite a while now!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                    Still A Customer."

Comment

I must be totally out of it ... what's a blunt?
                      I love mankind ... it's people I can't stand. -- Linus Van Pelt

Comment

*points up* I explained it above. Short answer: marijuana rolled in cigar papers.

Jester, I meant "right now" as opposed to, say, 10 years ago. *shrug*

^-.-^

Comment

Jester, I meant "right now" as opposed to, say, 10 years ago.
                          And I repeat what I said....this is nothing new. They WERE doing it ten years ago, and even before that. I have known a lot of people who believe in herbal smokage, my friend, and blunts have been around for a long, long, long time.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                          Still A Customer."

Comment

Ok. I just know that the doper contingent that I used to regularly encounter never did it until about, say, five years go.

Now they're all doing it, and they're using those nasty-ass awful vomit-inducing flavored papers.

^-.-^

Comment

Ah yes, the perfume ladies. I used to do home oxygen delivery and even with breathing problems, some of these old ladies still drenched themselves in whatever perfume they could get in gallon jugs.

What was worse is that our company had a respiratory therapist that always reeked of cheap perfume. She was also completely oblivious to the fact that her job required her to be around people with breathing difficulties that are often triggered by heavy perfumes.

I am so happy to be away from there.
                              I feel crazy. Like I'm drunk and trapped in a water globe and someone won't stop shaking it.
                              -The Amazing E
                              Zonies social group now open!

Comment

Quoth Buglady View Post
                                Simple Green unless it's diluted
                                That stuff smells just like Star Anise and liquorish and makes me sick as a DOG everytime I have to clean with it (which, granted, isn't often seeing as I'd rather use Ammonia and water or just vingar-water). It makes me want to diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiie.
                                Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Working...
                                X