This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four Hours of Fail.

got back from work, which was a ridiculously short four hour shift, and thought I'd share these short annoyances I had in that time.

The Birthday:
    So guy walks up to my register and I scan him through. He's got a bottle of wine and looks pretty young so I card him, type in the bithdate without paying much attention to it (I let the computer fo that). Hand him back his ID and finish with the order. Of course, before he leaves...
    Guy: "Did you notice something about what day it is?"
    Me:...
    Guy: "It's the same day today as it was on my ID."
    Me: (In the ever hated praise the customer kind of why I respond.) OH! Well happy birthday!
    In my mind I add on prick
    Truthfully I could care less if it is your birthday, so your shopping on your birthday, people have been doing it for a long time. You'll have to excuse me though, because this false sense of glee that I've shown has turned into an expression of not caring. Don't be offended, shame if you are. I highly doubt anyone else cares, why I'm working on my birthday in a week and I know you don't give a s***, really I don't either, it's just another day to me, granted it will be a little special as I'll become a legal adult but hey you still don't care, why should I?

Note: I know that makes me sound like an ass, but hey, really if you're that worked up about it being your birthday, don't come and make a complete stranger wish you happy birthday. Go spend time with the people that you know and care about, I'm sure they'd be much happier to share in the glee that is your birthday.

Clementines/Necatrines

Does anyone else see the difference between nectarines and clementines? I don't and if there are subtle differences I don't notice them because they're usually wrapped in bags that make it hard to see anything. Anyway I had this beacon of intelligence come through today.
    Me: Ma'am are these clementines or nectarines?
    Lady:.....*thinks*.....yes
    Me:

seriously, WTF? clementines OR necatrines....emphasis on the OR! Pay attention lady!

Food Stamp Card
    This one made me want to scream. This guy comes through and I get everything rung up, he then procedes to swipe his food stamp card. Now the computers are set up such that the cashier has virtually no access to any information about said card, it is all displayed on the small monitor facing the customer. Well this guy follows the norm as all SC's do and fails to read.
    Immediately this guy hits a button without even looking at it, he just as usual assumes it works the exact same as it does at a different store. Well eventually I convince him to read, he then procedes to hit an alternate amount button. Now I have some control as I can punch in different numbers, so I ask him how much from the card he wants to use. He looks at me.....and looks at me...
    SC:Well how much is on it?
    Me: (thankfully I was able to glean this small bit of information before he hastily hit the button.) That would be $49.10 (yes, I actually remembered the amount it said he could use.)
    SC: No I mean how much is on the card?
    Me:....
    Now for anyone having dealt with food stamp cards before you know that they allow you to charge about more than what you actually have on the card, however it does not tell me how much you have on the card. So after much complaining on his part I finally convince him that I in fact do not know and that I can't find out unless he actually uses the card. Well he decides $20 and then pays with a credit card for the rest of the order.
    After that my headache walked out with him as I had some very pleasant customers, but that never lasts....

Not Enough Money
    Enter stereotypical whitetrash lady with very young pregnant daughter in tow. They come through my line and I start ringing their stuff through. About half way through the lady looks up at the screen with the price on it.
    Lady: Hold it right there! Just slow down.
    The lady then proceeds to look at the price and then the items on the belt.
    Lady: You know what, I'm not going to get this. *She picks up an item and hands it to me, and then picks up another item and hands it to me.*
    I set the items aside and finish ringing up her order. When I near the end she gives a very forced sigh and begins muttering about how she doesn't have enough money for all this.
    the lady then proceeds to rummage through all the bagged groceries and pull random things out while muttering "This is unbelievable!", "Ridiculous!", and of course the forced sighs.
    I really wanted to laugh because nearly everything she bought was unnecessary junk food which she quite obviously didn't need. The last thing she took off was a tub of chocolate icream which. It was funny because she said "And the damn icream!" in the most defeated manner imaginable.

Gift Cards

This guy must have been in a hurry, either that or he had never used gift cards before. Where I work you swipe the card, it takes the amount off the order, prints a receipt and then it lets you do it again. This guy, instead of waiting, swipes one and then the other in rapid succession. Needless to say the second does not register because the first is still being processed. Commence SC's annoyance at the fact that the machine does not go as fast as he does, of course he can't get angry at a machine, machines don't feel. So of course the blame is placed on me. As I explain that he'll need to swipe the second card again as it didn't get processed he proceeds to question me at every pause and give me the evil eye.
    Now this was at the end of my shift, and was the last order and so I was a bit anxious to go home. I described everything to him very bluntly and in a "unprofessional manner"...I think. I didn't do any of the saying I'm sorry and what not for his inconveniences because I figured I didn't have anything to apologize for. After that was all done I turned around and left as the guy grumpily walked out of the store.

I realize these are in no way major SC's, just slight annoyances, but seriously. This many in four hours? And that was just through my line alone. If you give everyone working a register at the time the same number of idiots, then that gives the store a total of 45 idiots in four hours! I cry for the world of tomorrow as these are the people who are going to screw everything up right before I have a chance at doing anything, and then I'll have to clean up their mess.
    We Pick Up the Pieces

well, nectarines are a kind of peach thingy and clementines are an orange. But I can see that if they were in a bag it might be kinda hard.

Oh, and I hate the people who don't know how much money they have nor how to add as they shop. Not really that hard, people.
    My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

Nectarines are fuzz-less peaches. Clementines are more like small oranges. In a bag though, telling the difference wouldn't be easy unless you yourself could pick up the bag and look. Unless the bag was clear, of course.
      "I'm not a crazed gunman, dad, I'm an assassin... Well, the difference being one is a job and the other's mental sickness!" -The Sniper

Comment

Wow, today must have been national moron day, or something, 'cause I had an unusually large amount of stupid people through my line, too.
        The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

I think I would classify the birthday guy as an Irrelevant Information Customer. I get this type often. Sometimes it is the birthday thing, as in, "Well, I just got some birthday money for my birthday today, and I'm buying myself a (computer-related whatever) for my birthday gift--hint, hint." Other times it's something like, "I need a new printer because I like to print my own photos at home. By the way, I'm a teacher," or "I need a big hard drive in my computer because I do a lot of writing. I'm an author, you see, and I'm trying to get my first book published." I think they're just hunting for attention or validation or some such response that will suggest to them the rest of the world actually cares.

And the sighing lady with too many groceries... I can think of three explanations. 1 - She's doing all the sighing because the daughter picked out all the unnecessary stuff and Mom's making a point. 2 - She's not happy that the daughter is pregnant and is expressing to the daughter her frustrations regarding having to put away food she wants because she has to pay baby-related medical expenses. Or 3 - She was trying to get you to feel sorry for her and let her have stuff for free.

And, yeah, four in an hour does seem like a lot. Although I've had a few days where I wish I had a hidden camera in my nametag so I could catalogue all the foolishness I encounter on a daily basis. I'll bet employees from one big store alone could upload enough of that video to cause problems for the servers running YouTube.

Quoth MMATM View Post
          Nectarines are fuzz-less peaches. Clementines are more like small oranges. In a bag though, telling the difference wouldn't be easy unless you yourself could pick up the bag and look. Unless the bag was clear, of course.
          If the customer is really confusing Clementines with nectarines, I'll be scared. There's a big difference there, even if the things are in bags: size, shape, texture, growing season, smell. Tangerines versus Clementines, though--that's a totally different story. I've mixed those two up once or twice (at home, not at the store where there are signs and labels and such). I think the only differences there are flavor and a very subtle size difference.
          I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
          - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
          - IPF

Comment

Lol.

Nectarine: http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/743/92432.JPG

the nectarine is from the peaches family.

Clementine: http://cucinatestarossa.blogs.com/ph...clementine.jpg

the clementine is from the oranges/tangerines family.

Comment

Maybe she thought you were asking if they were a type of nectarines; you know, the world famous Clementinser nectarines?
              Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

Comment

When I go shopping on my birthday, I wear a party hat.
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth CanadaGirl View Post
                  Lol.

Nectarine: http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/743/92432.JPG

the nectarine is from the peaches family.

Clementine: http://cucinatestarossa.blogs.com/ph...clementine.jpg

the clementine is from the oranges/tangerines family.
                  yeah, that would help alot, if our store sold good nectarines. seriously, the nectarines we sell are orange, usually don't have any sort of fuzz, and are often mixed with the clementines. I've screwed it up so many times because the kind we sell look so alike that I always ask, especially since this one guy nearly bit my head off because I rang it up wrong.
                  We Pick Up the Pieces

Comment

I was taught a nectarine is a cross between a peach and an apple... but basically its a smooth-skinned peach. The skin of oranges is... kind of bumpy rough.

Comment

Was it his 21st birthday? Because I'd be pretty excited about buying alcohol on my 21st birthday too.

Comment

Working...
                      X