This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm all skeeved out now

So we had not one, but two different patients today who came in with bedbugs. Found them on the first guy and scanned the other on a different scanner to keep them from spreading, and then found out the second one had them too. To keep the pests contained, infection control shut down our entire department and now we have to wait to be cleared by the pest control company before we can resume scanning patients. We should hopefully be cleared by tomorrow.

All of our other outpatients had to be rescheduled, which thankfully was only a couple people, but still frustrating to have to do. The three camera rooms, two bathrooms, three patient waiting areas, and registration have to now be inspected and (possibly) treated. Pretty much the entire wing of the hospital is down to necessary staff only until cleared. And I had to tell the ER we were shut down and couldn't do a STAT scan with no idea when or if we'll be up and running anytime soon.

And the real fun part? They both knew they had bedbugs! The first one was afraid we were gonna report the infestation. Seriously, between HIPAA and the fact having bedbugs is gross but not illegal, who are we going to tell it was him specifically? I've been through the bedbug thing with friends so it's not that I'm unsympathetic and definitely don't believe someone needs to be a hermit, but for crying out loud at least shake out the clothes you're going to wear if you're going out somewhere. Or run things through the dryer. Whatever you can do to keep it from spreading and shutting down essential services to other people.
    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Ewwww. How awful. Made worse by the fact that it will now affect others' treatment.

When I was in the hospital a few months ago, I all of a sudden had unbearable pain and vomiting bile. It turned out I was bleeding from a liver biopsy. But we didn't know right away. They wouldn't give me pain meds til they knew what was wrong. I was told they ordered a STAT CT scan. It took 7 hours til I went down. I have never had a stat scan take 7 hours there. Something must have been going on down there in ER but I never found out what. It was of course Sun night so ER was the place.

Comment

Quoth Shyla View Post
      I was told they ordered a STAT CT scan. It took 7 hours til I went down. I have never had a stat scan take 7 hours there.
      Depending on if you had to be NPO and when you'd last eaten, I could see a 7 hour wait. It happens fairly frequently in my department if someone's had pain meds and we have to wait 6-8 hours for them to clear or it screws up the test. Otherwise, yeah, that seems like a long time.
      I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
        The first one was afraid we were gonna report the infestation. Seriously, between HIPAA and the fact having bedbugs is gross but not illegal, who are we going to tell it was him specifically?
        The health department or his landlord?
        Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Toth once had a very long wait in a quiet ER: but we were told the reason.

What he had needed an X-ray. But there'd been a nasty, multi-vehicle accident, and the X-ray machines were rather kinda needed to help put puzzle pieces together. (No, that's not the wording they used.)

There was a nurse or orderly assigned to us, who kept checking in on us and making sure everything was still ok. I have absolutely no complaints with the ER staff in that case! It was just bad timing and bad luck - and Toth's problem could be controlled. I assume the accident victims' problems were much, much more urgent.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
          X