This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Savings accounts and taxes...

Ok, I'm going to talk this over with the Mrs, but I want to know the tax implications.

I want to start putting some of my paycheck into a savings account my son has. He's almost 13, so he's still a minor, but I'm wondering what the tax implications are there. The money would be "post tax". In other words, I get taxed on my full pay, and then they would take the money and put it into the appropriate accounts.

It wouldn't be a huge amount of money. I usually get paid on a bi-weekly basis, so that's when I'd put money in.

For the savings for my wife and I, I'm not too worried. I'm just curious about the tax implications for my son's savings. I wouldn't think he would have to pay, but I don't know, so I'm asking. We give him $$$ anyway from time to time for chores and such, but I want to start putting money in his account regularly.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

I dropped Karl a PM.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
      I dropped Karl a PM.
      Gracias. I shoulda thought of that...

Comment

If and when the interest exceeds $1050, your child will be legally required to file a return. His standard deduction will be as calculated on page 39.
        If the gift is totals less than $15000 for the year, no additional forms on your part are required. Otherwise a gift (or generation skipping) return is required-Form 702, FWIW.
        In most states, if you contribute to an in-state higher education plan (529), you may have some savings on your state taxes. The amounts vary state-to-state, needless to say.
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
          If and when the interest exceeds $1050, your child will be legally required to file a return. His standard deduction will be as calculated on page 39.
          If the gift is totals less than $15000 for the year, no additional forms on your part are required. Otherwise a gift (or generation skipping) return is required-Form 702, FWIW.
          In most states, if you contribute to an in-state higher education plan (529), you may have some savings on your state taxes. The amounts vary state-to-state, needless to say.
          Hmmm...ok. I know the word "interest" can have different meanings. Do you mean interest as in "I'm getting 5% interest"?

Or is it "interest" as in "a share, right, or title in the ownership of property, in a commercial or financial undertaking, or the like"?

Because it's possible that within a couple of years he could have close to $2,000 in there. It's a savings account, and not an education plan.

I just don't want to get anyone into any trouble.

Comment

Check out a Roth-IRA for him. Since it's post tax the interest isn't taxable.
            Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Yeah, on a $2000 account you aren't going to get > $1050 of interest unless you've been picked to be the rigged demo account for a Ponzi scheme.
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                Hmmm...ok. I know the word "interest" can have different meanings. Do you mean interest as in "I'm getting 5% interest"
                This type.
                I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Working...
                X