Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know if this is any help, since I'm a Brit and I'm not sure what's available in the US, but I'm on Desogestrel 75 microgram tablets. They're an oestrogen free pill (I'm susceptible to clotting) and since they're a relatively recent invention they don't have the week of placebos as doctors now realise that women won't have a nervous breakdown if they don't have a period.

I have not had a period since 2005, and my mood swings have nearly vanished. Before then I was on the pills I was completely useless for the first couple of days of my period. The strongest painkiller they could prescribe me barely took the edge off; they took me from repeatedly throwing up at the pain (and I have a very high pain tolerance) to being semi-coherent so long as a hot water bottle was constantly strapped to my back and front.
    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
      I used to find that walking helped; for some people, it works to ease the cramps.
      I was told that it was because cold feet worsened cramps, and walking helped get blood to your feet. Strangely enough, I've found it true, and tend to wear socks during the winter if I'm on my period.
      The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

There's a blogger I follow who mostly posts about her geeky interests but sometimes she talks about her health problems and she has really bad cramps too and shes come across some awesome ways of helping it. Both articles are excellent reads.

http://www.epbot.com/2013/05/can-cor...re-cramps.html
        http://www.epbot.com/2014/06/an-ever...-everyday.html

Comment

I get nasty-ish cramps but ibuprofen works nicely on them. (funnily enough stronger painkillers, e.g. naproxen, dicolfenac and morphine!!!, don't touch me, but ibuprofen will stop just about anything)

I have to say, best thing i ever had for my cramps/period was the contraceptive implant.

Ten minutes to insert, no more bother than a vaccination, and i could forget about it for two years. My periods were lighter, less painful, less frequent and shorter. I think i had one in three months at one point, and at times i could forget i was even on. Heavenly!

Re: your flow, have you considered using a cup instead? I have a mooncup UK and that also makes my periods less painful, i suspect it's because the clots can come out easier, but have no evidence to support this.

POSSIBLE TMI THEORY:

Because a cup is relatively rigid (Flexible but springy) i think it holds things more "open" so that clots can make their way out easier, rather than the walls slightly holding the clot back.

Comment

Not sure about the menstrual cup. I prefer pads because they are worn on the outside, not the inside of the body.

Tomorrow, I go back on the Pill, so we'll see.
            cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
              I don't know if this is any help, since I'm a Brit and I'm not sure what's available in the US, but I'm on Desogestrel 75 microgram tablets. They're an oestrogen free pill (I'm susceptible to clotting) and since they're a relatively recent invention they don't have the week of placebos as doctors now realise that women won't have a nervous breakdown if they don't have a period.
              I'm in Canada, so I don't know if it's available there, either.
              cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Quoth cindybubbles View Post
                Not sure about the menstrual cup. I prefer pads because they are worn on the outside, not the inside of the body.

Tomorrow, I go back on the Pill, so we'll see.
                I was the same, loathed tampons, hated the feel of them, and didn't like the chemicals that went into them. They made my pain worse too. What convinced me to try it was the fact that they are made from medical grade (so implant grade) silicone or medical grade natural rubber, and can not only be cleaned, but can be completely sterilised too. There has never been a single case of TSS connected with cup use.

I decided to try it out since you can get some for a reasonable price, and if i didn't like it, it wasn't a huge loss.

I've now used a cup for 8 or 9 years.

But, i know they aren't for everyone, for a number of reasons.

Just thinking, i need to replace my cup soon, i think i'm going with a meluna in one of their glitter colours ^_^

Comment

Ladies, ladies. Go to your damned GYN and inform them you want your menses suppressed as it is a QUALITY OF LIFE ISSUE and not a birth control issue. If they will not provide you with relief, fire their damned asses and go to some other GYN that will. I dealt with PCOS and endometriosis by total suppression for the last 3 years until my hysterectomy and it was heavenly. One tiny pill daily, and that was fucking that.

God will not be peeved because we are not living and bringing forth children in pain, or whatever the Judeo-Christian bullshit happens to be. I damned well guarantee that if men bled out monthly in pain, they would automatically turn the menses off until they wanted to reproduce, have the kid and turn it back off.
                  EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                    Ladies, ladies. Go to your damned GYN and inform them you want your menses suppressed as it is a QUALITY OF LIFE ISSUE and not a birth control issue. If they will not provide you with relief, fire their damned asses and go to some other GYN that will. I dealt with PCOS and endometriosis by total suppression for the last 3 years until my hysterectomy and it was heavenly. One tiny pill daily, and that was fucking that.
                    I did. She's the one who prescribed The Pill for me. I'm going to see her again in September and update her on my status.
                    cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

I honestly don't remember how mine are, they've either been reduced down a lot or completely gone due to various birth controls for a while now. I'll be finding out soon though because I'm looking into getting my tubes tied so it'll be back in all of it's fun. That's the only part I'm not looking forward to. I've managed to have issues on every birth control I've tried. Cup size went up 3 sizes in less than a year after starting this last one not to mention some mood effects. I was lucky and have a doctor that didn't even get into the whole "but you haven't had children yet and are still kinda young!" bullshit and just told me to let him know when I was ready to have it done. I have vague memories of hot baths being one of the only thing that helped with cramps though.
                      "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

I have PCOS and my periods were all over the place. Sometimes lasting for a month to a few days and sometimes with over a month in between to only a few days then it comes back . Then I was finally put on the pill and lost some weight and they went back to normal.

As for the cramps, I don't know why but for some reason lemon juice helps me and lightens my flow too. I usually drink a glass or two of lemonade (made with real juice) once a day during my periods along with a ibuprofen. I know it's an old wives tale but it actually worked with me

Comment

CFS and Fibro mixed with that time of the month? Yeah, I am suddenly having worse sinus issues and more sensitive to scents of all kinds and my muscles all gang up on me.... I've learned not to plan anything if I can help it around that time.
                          I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

UPDATE: Not only did I have my "ow", I hurt my back two weeks ago. I stand for too long, playing games every time I visit the Apple Store. That Wednesday, two weeks ago, I visited the Apple Store twice. And stood for a long time each visit.

So now it's ibuprofen, Tylenol AND Voltaren Emogel; the last one, by the way, works quite well. I think I'll add that to my list of monthly "ow" remedies.
                            cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

If you don't want to have children, look into endometrial ablation. I had it last year, and my entire life has turned around! I can't believe it took so long. I told the gynecologist that I wanted a hysterectomy, which he refused to do because I don't have cancer. He suggested the ablation, and I agreed instantly. The pain is still there, but more like an ache than anything. Not bad, and not something that affects my quality of life. The doctor told me that the monthly ow would get lighter and lighter until it disappears. This has yet to happen. However, I don't get it as regularly, and I love that!

Comment

I find that the older I get (I'm 29, not old, but enough for my mother to say "well you aren't getting any younger!" When I complain) the worse my period effects my hormones.

Just a few months ago, I had a terrible migraine on my period or 3 days that came with nausea. It knocked me on my ass for my entire weekend. It hasn't happened to me since, luckily.

Comment

Working...
                                X