This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Care and Feeding of First Aid Kits

The first aid kit from my truck is approaching 9 years old, and I'm looking to both "refresh" and expand it. The contents of the existing kit are:

1"x3" adhesive bandages, 9 pieces
    4" sterile compression bandage with attached wrap, 1 piece
    2" sterile compression bandages with attached wrap, 2 pieces
    2"x5 yard sterile gauze rolls, 2 pieces
    3"x3" sterile pads, 4 pieces
    Benzalkonium Chloride towelettes (no-sting equivalent to an alcohol wipe), 3 pieces
    non-sterile triangular bandage, 1 piece
    small roll of adhesive tape
    pair of blunt-nose scissors
    first aid guide

What should I add to the kit, what are the shelf lives, and what can I "cheap out" on by using dollar store items and what should I go for the "good stuff" on?

Stuff I'm thinking of adding:
    - New box (would need a bigger one)
    - Dispenser with roll of first aid tape (any preference for paper or plastic?)
    - Refill roll of tape (not immediately - add it after roughly 1/3 of the shelf life of the roll in the dispenser, and rotate stock)
    - More adhesive bandages (bundled in a paper wrapper with the date added, rotate stock)
    - Lots of 2"x3" non-stick sterile pads (can get them cheap - 20 should be a good number)
    - 10 3"x4" non-stick sterile pads (come 10 in a box)
    - Bunch of 3"x5 yard gauze rolls (size the dollar store sells - since these are for holding pads in place, do they need to be sterile?)
    - Bunch of 4" square non-sterile gauze pads (repackaged into sets of 10 - sold in a pack of 100)
    - Bottle of Betadine disinfectant
    - Tweezers
    - Safety pins
    - Flashlights and spare batteries (I have flashlights in my truck already, but this would make it a "grab and go" for night-time use rather than need to search for one of my "everyday" flashlights)
    - Tube of PolySporin ointment or generic clone

Any ideas from people in the health care field? Thanks.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

I'd recommend one or two more triangle bandages, those things can be used for EVERYTHING if you know how to use them properly. An ice pack or two would probably be a good idea, and if you can get one, there's a kind of gauze face mask you're supposed to use during CPR (it drapes over the unconscious person's face, they're mostly for sanitary purposes so not 100% necessary but I'd feel gross without one). You could probably also keep some minor medications in there- painkillers (especially aspirin, in case of heart attack), antihistamines, things that would be generally handy to have around and come in capsules. If you can keep a couple of towels in your truck as well, that would be nice. They're rather good for holding in exposed innards, as well as general/emergency purposes.
    The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

I've got a few different types of tape in my first aid kit to allow for where on the body the injury is - standard cloth tape, plastic water-resistant tape, and a rubbery flexible tape. I gave up on using a dispenser because I find it sort of restricts how easy it is to use the tape...besides, I have scissors to cut the tape with.

I've tried using cheap gauze and ended up kicking myself for it because it was flimsy and got runs easily, so I now swear by Johnson & Johnsons for gauze rolls and sterile non-stick pads. I've also got various sizes and types of adhesive bandages because you never know, and this includes butterfly bandages.

I've also got a set of tweezers and several wide popsicle stick type things (they are great for splinting figures or toes, a box of disposable non-latex gloves, a bottle of isopryl alcohol, an emergency blanket, a few safety pins, and finger condoms. I have one triangle bandage but I know I'll be getting more as soon as I can find them, although they are not difficult to make out of pretty much any fabric (cotton is best, imho). I do not have a CPR mask but that is more due to not being able to source them locally outside of purchasing a whole new first aid kit...

I tend to put all my stuff into ziplock-type bags to keep moisture out and also keep everything together in my kit or it would look like a first aid room exploded in it. As for what I use to hold it all, a find that a sturdy plastic bin works pretty good - in my case I use a Sterilite stacking organizer that has three removable sections that clip together.

Comment

gloves, sterile and or non sterile
        quick clot, in bandage or powder form
        individual packets of common OTC meds-and maybe a small water bottle or two.
        (pain killers/headache/ fever reducer meds, antacids, upset stomach-the pink ones)
        plain A&D ointment(you can make single use packets to prevent contamination)

here's a basic list to tweak from the american red cross

I had a smaller kit(one of these actually) inside the basic kit for Grab and go basics of most used items so I didn't have to dig through to find things most commonly used(bandages, pain relievers, antiseptic wipes), I also kept $2 in quarters, and a $20 bill in it, one could also put a pre-paid credit card with a small amount($20-$50) in it as well.
        Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Weird how once I put a fist aid kit and fire extinguisher in my truck how often I've used the kit and the extinguisher twice.
          AkaiKitsune
          Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Throw in a handful of hard candies as well. Great for if you need to stabilize someone's blood sugar.

You won't necessarily need a face mask for CPR in a basic first aid kit. The Red Cross is moving toward compression-only protocols outside of hospitals. That said, a home health place might have an Ambu bag. I have one in my trunk from a friend of mine. She gave it to me after her elderly grandmother passed away.
            I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Some water purification tablets might not be a bad idea iether

Comment

Packet of mini tampons (dollar store is fine), for use for bloody noses.
                Package of absorbant stuff ('cotton wool' or whatever) (dollar store is fine), for use for minor injuries which bleed a lot, such as head/facial injuries.

Put the sterile gauze and pad on to be in contact with the injury, then the non-sterile absorbant stuff over the sterile stuff if the injury continues to bleed after pressure is applied. (Don't remove the sterile gauze and pad - let the professionals be the ones to handle that.)

You can also use the absorbant stuff to help you wash gunk away from the area around a wound. (As always, the broken skin should be handled only with sterile stuffs.)
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I once had an insurance package where free refills of a first-aid kit were included.

The insurance company ended their services due to budget cuts from corporate (who also run our version of the AAA), but we got to keep the box they sent us in the first place.

Now, the box has an inventory list attached, so we just check it now and then, and go to the chemist's for the supplies if/when we see we've run out.

(It also helps a lot that Mr Zel works at a band-aid factory and gets to take products that just barely fails QC home with him )
                  Last edited by NorthernZel; 08-31-2015, 08:44 PM.
                  A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                    one could also put a pre-paid credit card with a small amount($20-$50) in it as well.
                    Some prepaid cards will (depending on the state and state law) start charging a 'service fee' after so many months of non-use so you'll want to look into that. If the fee is unavoidable, make a note of how much is on the card and either top it up every so often or make a tiny purchase to keep it active (then top it up).
                    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

A space blanket is a standard part in first aid kits in Germany. They are quite useful if you need to keep someone or yourself warm in an emergency.
                      No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Unopened/sealed bottle of water, kept in the dark. You never know when you or a patient will need hydration, or need to have their pulse points dampened to cool them down, or need dirt washed away from a wound.

HOWEVER: keep in mind that some types of injuries require a 'nil by mouth' protocol. For those injuries, even water counts - you can't let such a patient drink. (Often rinse-and-spit is okay, but check. If in doubt, don't give them water.)

Note that we're producing far more ideas than even the best equipped travel first aid kit can have: it's going to be a matter of choosing your priorities.

BTW: our home medical kit includes such things as cough syrups of each kind (suppressant, expectorant), antihistamine, decongestant, paracetemol/aceteminophen to reduce pain or fever, aspirin, and ibuprofen. Meds to soothe irritated guts (at all levels - esophagus, stomach, and both types of bowel) are always around as well.
                        It often also has what's left of a tube of mild antifungal cream (against tinea, ringworm or the like), soothing creams against insect bites, and bruise cream.
                        This sort of thing is not really considered to be part of a first aid kit, they're not needed for the immediate care of emergencies.

However, you might want to select some to keep in your car (or handbag, backpack, suitcase) anyway. Some medical events don't warrant paramedical or hospital care, but it's useful to have something on hand to deal with a headache or a sudden attack of tummy trouble.
                        Choose the ones which most commonly are needed by your family and close friends.
                        Seshat's self-help guide:
                        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Keep in mind. I was former Army, My list includes things that I am familiar with that are decently crazy (compared to the civilian world).

Compression Bandages, Israeli Bandages to be specific. If used properly, will keep pressure on the wound themselves. Very good high end Bandages. Really good for "serious" wounds.Here is the fun video

A Nasopharyngeal Airway, inserted into the nose and goes down the back of the throat. DO NOT get this unless you have been trained to use it. (fun training though, hehehehe Merica')

Tampons are always a good idea, they are excellent at absorbing blood and are sterile. Good for nose bleeds or bullet holes. (snoops did a thing on this)

CAT Tourniquet, useful to stop bleeding quickly. These days, they can save the limb if it has been on for upwards of 12 hours! (I remember in scouting being told, Tourniquet=Loss of limb. but not anymore)
                          I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
                            Tampons are always a good idea, they are excellent at absorbing blood and are sterile. Good for nose bleeds or bullet holes. (snoops did a thing on this)

CAT Tourniquet, useful to stop bleeding quickly. These days, they can save the limb if it has been on for upwards of 12 hours! (I remember in scouting being told, Tourniquet=Loss of limb. but not anymore)
                            Pads and tampons were added to the first aid kit for my den. Asked why, and was teased that it was for my "girly" issues. Umm.. no. These were first designed for use in WAR. They were designed for heavy bleeding and that's what they do. If for some reason, pressure and/or gauze fails, a pad will do in a pinch. A tampon can be used for badly injured noses or bullet wounds.

Hell, my sister, a nurse, used a pad to tape up her hubby's foot when he sliced it open on an aluminum can. He had to have stitches at the ER, but pressure wasn't stopping the bleeding.. between the big and second toe on the foot. Looked silly, but he wasn't dripping blood everywhere.
                            If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Working...
                            X