This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not taking the hint

Back in my salad days of retail, there was a convenience store across the road from our place, and in that place worked Smiler, as we knew her. She was always smiling and friendly. Upon one day, she came to our place and related to us the tale I'm about to inflict upon you.

A woman came into their place and peered intently at the cigarettes on display. "Can I have a pack of brand X?" she asked.

Smiler's colleague's hand moved to intercept the object of her desire.

"Not that one!" cried the customer, and the hand paused. "Can you take them all out of the rack for me, please?"

"What for?" asked the colleague with some justification. "They're all from the same delivery and I only just re-stocked that type. There are no special offers or better dates on them."

"I want one without the warning label on."

"The warning label? It's got to be on there by law."

"But it upsets me!"

Rapscallion

Someone was in denial.
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

So if it upset her then that means she shouldn't be smoking & if she shouldn't be smoking then what the hell is she trying to buy ciggs for then?

Comment

Umm...has she ever heard of metal cigarette cases? You know, the ones that have no writing on them at all?

I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

yeah those are pretty. i bought one in Australia... not that i smoke but i figured it'd be pretty to old business cards

Comment

I find the Surgeon General's Warning terribly amusing. It sugar coats what they're really trying to say.

Most cigarette packs out here have a band of paper around them that says something to the equivalent of "Fumare uccide" - "Smoking kills".

Others I've seen (in Amsterdam and Italy, so I assume this is typical of Europe):

"See your doctor to help you quit."
            "Smoking cigarettes will kill you."
            "Your pharmacist can give you medicine to help you quit."
            "Smoking will give you cancer and kill you."
            "Do not quibble with me over apostrophes. I have my shit together when it comes to apostrophes." - BookBint

Comment

If they wanted to get real serious about warning labels, they could try: "Warning: cigarette smoking increases your risk of erectile dysfunction and impotence."

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
                If they wanted to get real serious about warning labels, they could try: "Warning: cigarette smoking increases your risk of erectile dysfunction and impotence."
                Actually, they do.

I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

That picture right there, is full of awesome.
                  I am a Blank Space for spacing purposes, ignore me.
                  In order to treat someone as your equal, you first need to believe both: that they are your equal, and that you are their's.

Comment

I think one of the Italian cases has something like, "Don't smoke around children!" (Which I consider a form of child abuse. Sorry, smokers.) I was in Italy and my uncle's roommate was a chain smoker; he gave me the really tiny cases (I collect weird things).

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
                      There is one around here that states "Smoking can cause a slow and painful death." I kid you not.
                      "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

We have
                        'smoking seriously harms you and others around you'
                        'smoking while pregnant causes birth defects'

and I've seen an ad that basically says 'you are killing your children', only a little nicer.
                        Deepak Chopra says, "Fear deprives people of choice. Fear shrinks the world into isolated, defensive enclaves. Fear spirals out of control. Fear makes everyday life seem clouded over with danger.

Comment

We have a whole list of them, with pictures, that include stuff like eye damage, gangrene (with a foot), smoke-harmed babies etc. We also have the really gross ones on TV, like a woman with mouth cancer.
                          Anyhoo, someone posted a long list on Facebook about annoying things that happen at a Woolies and what really annoys her are the number of customers who ask for different images on their cigarettes. Also I know that a few places do sell the covers, but supermarkets don't. (and we're also not allowed to include any loyalty programs with them, which shits some people off)

Comment

One of my favourites was something I remember reading in Mad magazine...

"Since cigarettes contain carbon monoxide, you could probably save yourself a lot of money by sucking on your car's exhaust pipe."
                            "In nature, stupidity is a capital crime; judgement is absolutely impartial, there is no process for an appeal, and the sentence is carried out immediately." -- Anon

Comment

My favorite Mad piece on smoking is the ad for "Alwaysis" cigarettes.

Comment

Working...
                              X