This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any quilters? I need help

Disclaimer: I am not a quilter. I know how to sew and can do basic stuff but design and layout are not a strong talent with me.

I'm trying to get a baby quilt put together for my new nephew. I've embroidered five 9" squares and might be able to get a sixth and seventh one done (basically I have until next Thursday) but I'm having a hard time figuring out a cute layout.

Here's a couple that I like ok:
    B=Border (will be half the width of the squares; the quilt will be 4 squares high and 3 across)
    E=Embroidered
    P=Print or pieced

bbb
    EPE
    PEP
    EPE
    bbb

bbb
    EEE
    PEP
    EEE
    bbb (this one depends on my getting seven squares which is doubtful.)

I have no ideas on how to do one with six squares. I'm willing to piece some squares if need be because that would be faster than embroidering (I've done a little so I'm not looking for quilt-block ideas, just layout).
    My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

I like the top one. I think if you put all the embroidered squares together it can look cluttered.

Have you already decided how you're going to quilt it?
    https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

<points up>

Kanalah makes her living from quilting. She's fantastic at it.

I agree with Kanalah, btw. Separate the embroidered squares.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Not a quilter, but I also think the top one would look better. Also, Kanalah's brilliant, you should probably listen to her.
        The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I think that I've found a way to use six squares that also keeps the embroidered squares from touching

b=Border
          P=Print
          E=Embroidered
          Q=pieced quilt block (done with b, P, and a third fabric that will be the back. The pattern I chose is called "Windmill" in the book I have)

bbbbbbb
          bPbEbPb
          bEbPbEb
          bPbQbPb
          bEbPbEb
          bPbEbPb
          bbbbbbb

It will still be about 37" by 48"
          My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

I think that pattern looks great

Pics later? I love seeing people's artwork.
            https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Working...
            X