No announcement yet.

The Coronavirus Panic Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sounds like a friend's grocery store back NOLA way about three months ago. At least one worker had to take time off and quarantine due to a positive test; the managers all knew, but they didn't tell the workers or the public at all. Word quickly spread through the grapevine, fortunately, but it took a few days.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

• There is a lot of debate over disclosure (if you want to debate it, take it to frachting). Person A's right to privacy vs person B's right to protect themselves.

Two people in my department caught Covid. One had not been in the office, so he did not disclose it immediately. The other had been in, and he did disclose it.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

• Privacy is fine. I dont care about who it was. But we should be told that someone there had a positive.

Comment

• Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
          It is 99% certain that me and everyone on my team will be permanently working from home... the nature of our work is remote no matter where we are (seriously, everything I do is through a secured web portal, what is the difference between doing that in an office and doing it in my spare bedroom) and we've been pushing to allow work from home for months before COVID hit anyway. Now that we have proven that we really can work just as well from home (and the agency is looking for ways to increase staff without having to spend more on office space) it is all but a formality that we are declared a permanent work from home team.

We are just about there. Honestly my boss' boss didn't trust us to do a good job from home--said that before Covid--and now Finance is really happy with our team. All I need to do my job is a computer and phone. I don't have to mail anything to clients; it's all email. I don't know if any of our teams will ever be totally permanent work-from-home teams. I think the best thing would be 3 days at home, 2 in the office. We could have meetings on the office days. Plus, sometimes it's just easier for my boss to look at my screen at my desk. Well, at home we do have screen sharing. You know what? There really is no reason to be in the office except for them to feed us. They really like doing that. We are getting our annual free turkeys this year despite Covid. I think they might do it where we drive up and they put it in our trunk.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

• cs and Rev - Aye, good points, both of you (and yes to cs's suggestion)
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

• Lets be honest, companies don't care about employee privacy, they just want everything to be nice and normal. So if not disclosing a positive case is better for their bottom line then they won't. It's not just about the current situation, either. If companies weren't forced to give breaks and/or lunches by law then many wouldn't do that, either. This is why many places are ignoring local rules about masks or maximum occupancy or any number of mandates. Because money.
              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

• I'm still not debating privacy or anything, as suggested that is for Fratching.

But I will say if this supervisor was so concerned about this persons privacy that she cannot disclose the danger to the company or her fellow employees then she really shouldnt have been gossiping it to my wife, who works for the company but is currently on maternity leave.

Comment

• I can't stand gossip nor people trying to discuss my medical stuff when I don't want to.
                  "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

• Around these parts we're breaking records for new cases so we're getting another "lockdown" (though they don't call it that) and guess what? Stores are out of toilet paper again. First, how have people run out of the crazy amounts they purchase last time? Second, we all saw that there's no reason for this panic buying just a few months ago, now we're back to it?? I was just at the store, when we heard that the lockdown would be announced officially soon and I thought it was busier than normal but I guess it hit worse today.

We'll see if the big store near my house actually implements the 25% occupancy limit. Last time they were like "we're using technology to track customer numbers" but I'm completely sure that's a lie. Also, it's one of those places that has clothes and furniture and bed/bath supplies, etc. So the grocery section is packed and the rest is empty and they're still within the limit. I'll go back to driving across town to the store that makes you wait in line. I think just that small measure at the door helps people be more conscious of distancing throughout the whole store. Whereas the big store likes to put stickers on the floor (which everyone ignores) and pretend like nothing's changed.
                    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

• ExJob really has no way of tracking capacity...but according to a friend (former CW) and a few of my peeps who are still suffering over there, that's not really an issue as customers are staying away because they can't get knowledgeable help.

We stopped counting customers a month ago, but we may have to start up again because of the curfew (everyone race to the store!). We're now wiping down the registers/pinpads after every customer...that's the theory, anyway. In practice not so much; I'm lucky if I can get to SCO after every third person and supplies for the expected cleaning are in short supply. We really need signs that can be put up "Please be patient while this register is sanitized for your safety" or similar. When we do get certain cleaning products in we have a "Limit 2" sign posted on the shelf, but that limit is not programmed into the registers and just try telling someone they can't buy 2875 cans of Lysol.
                      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

• Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                        Around these parts we're breaking records for new cases so we're getting another "lockdown" (though they don't call it that) and guess what? Stores are out of toilet paper again.
                        We're in pretty much the same boat, although they're not talking about adding any new restrictions, at least not yet. And while they shelves weren't completely wiped out of paper products, the pickings were looking a little slim. Disinfecting wipes and hand sanitizer has actually been plentiful, although they're some off brand. But it's definitely better than nothing. One thing I haven't been able to find in forever is rubbing alcohol. Oh, and toilet bowl cleaner for some reason.
                        Sometimes life is altered.
                        Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                        Uneasy with confrontation.
                        Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

• Our governor announced a new 4-week shutdown today, and the people who panic-shopped eight months ago apparently learned nothing, because they were all back today buying out all our toilet paper, hand sanitizer, and canned foods. When I walked in at 11 we had a line going all the way to the back of the store and wrapping around to the other corner, but once we were able to get some crowd control in place it became more managable.

I spent most of my 8-hour shift standing outside in the cold and intermittently rainy northwest afternoon/evening (at least I had a canopy over my head to keep me dry) maintaining a line at the front door and letting people in, 1-for-1, as people came out. The 25% capacity we're required to be at is about 500 people, but we've actually been keeping it closer to 150 because having that many people in the store is unmanageable and makes it impossible for the crew to stock shelves or move product around (especially turkeys, which are currently free with a $100 purchase and are quite bulky when palletized.)

My legs feel like jelly and by the time I got off we didn't even have any tomatoes left for the homemade burger I was craving, but I think we were a little more prepared for the insanity this time. We didn't match what we did on the busiest day in March, but we broke what had been our busiest day on record prior to that crazy weekend.

Comment

• Things aren't getting any better where I am and I think the schools are closing. I don't really pay attention since it doesn't concern me. I'm sure if it gets bad enough they'll be restrictions again. We're already extremely shorthanded at my store and the company has decided to roll out a new program that requires us to talk to customers. Oh and it's the holidays. Merry fucking Christmas, assholes.
                            I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

• Quoth Trixie View Post
                              the company has decided to roll out a new program that requires us to talk to customers.
                              I am so, so sorry

passes the wine

Comment

• This plague year means old-fashioned Universities are having to get to grips (slowly) with distance learning.
                                My Dad was worrying about the new term, and having to work out which of the books on the reading list were available online, so his students could get them through their computers...
                                Me: "Or they could get the books through the post?"
                                Dad *facepalm* "..or they could get the books through the post."

Comment

Working...
                                X