This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple Personality Lady

At the Supermarket where I work, we have a system, if you want to write a check, you have to have a Card. If you forget your card, its been the policy of the store for over 15 years to take the check that you want to write, look up the appropriate information and get the card number written on it, so we can let you use the check.

Begin Story

Normal night I am the closing Front End person, and its the quietest time of the day, and normally I would just clean registers and restock supplies, but that didn't need to be done, so I was just talking to my manager about random stuff, (she is a really cool person) and we see a customer that we have all known for quite a while and my manager since she start working at this particular location.

Well she asks me where the cranberry sauce is, so I just say, I will show you, and she says thanks, we walk over and I ask if she has any other questions, she says no and thank you, and goes about her shopping.

5 minutes later she is checking out and tells us that she doesn't has her Kings Card, asks what she needs to do.

Me - Let me ask my manager.

Manager - We still need to get her Card number.

Me - I go back to the customer and ask her if I can borrow one of her checks to look up her Card number. She looks horrified and says no, you can't have my check!

At this point I was puzzled. This women who was just so nice to me was now yelling at me. Most likely afraid that I would steal her identity or some other.

I did not want to argue with this customer, so I just went and told my manager that she would not give me her check, and that maybe you should handle it, being that she knows the customer for quite a long time. My manager gets a similar angry response, and explains that this has been the policy forever etc...

The customer then proceeds to say,"I will just pay with cash" but she didn't end up having enough money on her to pay for the food she was buying. My manager then suggest the other option, which only the manager can offer, is that the customer gives the manager his or her drivers license, too look up the card number on the computer.

Keep in mind, all of the money is still on the counter, the lady hadn't picked it up, and once my manager suggests it, the SC runs out of the store, screaming and yelling at us, about trying to steal her identity. Manager walks calmly after her, letting her vent and trying to apologize. I grab money and give to manager.

Lady gets in her convertible still screaming at Manager, won't take her money back, it was only a $20 bill, and driver away in red convertible.

Manager is completely stunned, says their is nothing we could do, and tells Store Manager.

Next day customer comes in, buys cigarettes, asks if we want to make absolutely sure that her ID is not fake or something, that she isn't wearing a max etc. etc....

Manager attempts another apology, gives money back, customer leaves. Still comes in, nicest lady ever...

That does sound like some kind of psychiatric disorder. I used to have a customer that used to be sickly sweet to all the staff at our small boutique (call everybody "sweetie" and hug us, etc.), and she'd sometime just SNAP. She'd start screaming when we wouldn't do a refund for something she bough 3 months ago (2.5 months after the refund period, no tag, worn, off season), or hurl personal abuse at the new girl for selling an item she'd put on hold WEEKS ago (for 2 days) and abandoned.

She once came into the store when I was alone and proceeded to go postal when I wouldn't give in to her insane demands. She seemed to calm down and continued to shop around a bit, then started mumbling angrily. I asked her if she'd said anything and she yells "AND I WON'T BE TALKED TO IN THAT WAY!!" I calmly walked to her, got right up in her face and asked her aggressively if there was anything she wanted to say to me. I was sick of her shit, and it's not like I was scared of her physically--at that moment I was fully prepared to walk right out of the mall and kick her ass. But she totally backed down and got all sweet again. From then on everyone would let me help her, and she never gave me any more problems. She even continued to hug me and tell me I was her favorite salesperson!

In retrospect, I think she was probably bipolar and just off meds that day. But I NEVER got that hostile with a customer again. I have no idea what came over me, I'm normally completely professional. I guess everyone has their breaking point.
    But I don't need a vagina. I have a pony.
    -Gravekeeper

Comment

I have gotten hostile with people that I actually know who aren't nice to me, harassing me and other customers where I work. Just to the point where they would reach inside the area where they weren't suppose to be attempting to grab something. I over 3 years of Karate Training, so I use a quick small wrist lock. Too fast for them to notice, or a customer. All the notice is that their hand hurt for a split second. Naturally they stop and withdraw. They have gone for cigarettes, my till, the buttons on my computer, just trying to mess me up...

Comment

Some people need more help than we can give them.

How sad.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
        X