Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I knew a Maggie. She used to get pissed when people would call her Peggy or Margaret.
    Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
    Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
    The Office

Comment

My first name is spelled Katherine. I had a manager that insisted on spelling it "Kathryn", despite reminding her every time that was the wrong spelling.

I usually go by "Kat." But I've been called "Katie", "Kate", "Kitty", "Pat", and "Karen". And one manager refused to call me by my nickname because it didn't sound "professional" enough.

And don't get me started on my married name. I can forgive writing one "L" instead of two. I do it sometimes myself. But when you can't even pronounce it (just like it's spelled), I get cranky.
      A smile is just a grimace that's been edited for public consumption. -- Tony Cochran

Comment

Quoth Tigress View Post
        I can forgive writing one "L" instead of two. I do it sometimes myself. But when you can't even pronounce it (just like it's spelled), I get cranky.
        'Mullgrew'?
        Which would, indeed, make you Kathryn Mullgrew?
        *hopes and dreams are riding on this*
        "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Tigress View Post
          But when you can't even pronounce it (just like it's spelled), I get cranky.
          I hate that. My last name is not a all hard to pronounce, but yet people get it totally wrong. My last name is NOT the same as the famous actor, it's the same as the species of monkey damnit!

Comment

I would like to challenge you all to pronounce my name correctly (not for you from nord).
            Hannu Varjo
            Ill wait for wavs etc and after someone with no previous knowledge does that ill bow
            People have problems to pronounce, atleast i do

Comment

Quoth weirdboy_1 View Post
              CJ: No, I thought for sure that someone would know Jim means James, I'm not dealing with this! *click*
              Not neccessarily. When we do the FBI background checks for firearms, if your name is "Michael" and you write down "Mike" on your paperwork (or Jim for James, Tom for Thomas, Tim for Timothy - you get the idea), then it'll be a delay and you'll have to wait another week or so to get your firearm.
              This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

My first name is spelled Katherine.
                My daughter-in-law has the same name. She does not like to be called anything but Katherine. Even my son has to call her by her proper name.
                This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

Quoth bigjimaz View Post
                  My daughter-in-law has the same name. She does not like to be called anything but Katherine. Even my son has to call her by her proper name.
                  I have cousins (they're brothers, too) who were Chas and Jimmy when they were kids. Somewhere along the line (around their mid-late teens, I think) they decided they wanted to be Charles and James. And have been ever since. And their father is Charlie, just to complicate things slightly more (but he's always been Charlie).

My name starts with Al- which would be the obvious nickname. I don't like it though and most people don't call me that, at least not on a regular basis (usually if I'm being called from across the the house, or something - "Hey, Al...!). When I used to answer the phone in the store I said "Thank you for calling Store, this is Al----," and I got a lot of "Oh, hi Sally, I'm looking for ..."
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I just ranted about this on NightAngel's thread, but I will reiterate. My name is Krysta, not Kristin, Christy, Crystal. I realize it is a not so common take on a fairly common base name, but still after 2 years in Boston, I am starting to develop the accent. I know I pronounce my A's. I lose out both written and spoken. Even when replying to my e-mail when my name is right in front of them, people love to spell my name with an I. It could just be because I was raised with a Y, but I think Krista looks ugly, and it doesn't even look close to my name to me. I can't wait for the nightmare to begin once I am officially married. I am going from Harty to Hurley, I'm sure I'll be getting Hartley A LOT!
                    The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                      'Mullgrew'?
                      Which would, indeed, make you Kathryn Mullgrew?
                      *hopes and dreams are riding on this*
                      Sorry, no. My married name is actually French Canadian.
                      A smile is just a grimace that's been edited for public consumption. -- Tony Cochran

Comment

Working...
                      X