Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yesterday an old guy paid for his $3.xx purchase with a $5. He then claimed he gave me a $20 and I still owed him $15. I told him he only gave me a $5, but he kept arguing with me. The woman next in line said to him, "Sir, you only gave her a $5." He finally apologized and left.

I always wonder if these idiots are trying to scam me or are really so dumb they don't know what bills they're pulling out of their wallets.
    It's like I'm wearing Eau de Moron and all of the idiots and assholes are attracted to me... -JuniorMintz

Comment

Quoth Zinjadu View Post

I always wonder if these idiots are trying to scam me or are really so dumb they don't know what bills they're pulling out of their wallets.
      Nah, i smell a scammer. They smell like stupid.
      Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

When I started my current job, I had to re-train myself, (per the insistence of the then Lead, but for a good reason) to not set the bill on top of the till.

We frequently get enough of a wind, coming through our exit doors, near our registers, to blow loose paper all over the place.

Fortunately, I haven't had too many people claim they gave me a larger bill. There's been times, when that's happened, that I actually realize they did give me a larger bill.

Don't remember if I've mentioned this here before, but I had one occasion that was the opposite. The customer bought less than, in fact just under, IIRC twenty dollars worth of stuff. I thought he had given me a $100.00 bill, put it under my till, and counted 80 some odd dollars in change to him. He said "Hey man, I can't do this to ya. I only gave you a twenty."

I actually laughed, thinking he was being funny, pulling a reverse of the "I gave you a larger bill" scam/mistake. Then I realized he was serious, and looked under my till. Sure enough, there was a twenty down there. (We keep our twenties in one of the till tray slots.) I was so shocked, I don't even know if I thanked him profusely (I hope) or just a simple "Hey thanks!"

Thinking back to when he handed me the bill, I was still seeing this picture in my mind of it being a $100.00 bill. Thank gourd for him being so honest.

Mike
        Meow.........

Comment

I know we have cameras over our till areas, so I make it a point of fanning out any bills I get, and carefully pulling out the change I give...
          That way, if anyone questions something, the tape will be able to show EXACTLY what U was doing.
          Yeah,Ii'm paranoid about stuff like that!
          I no longer fear HELL.
          I work in RETAIL.

Comment

When I'm working on the kiosk tills, I make a point of putting all the £20 notes into the cache, so I have no twenties in the till and if anyone says 'I gave you a twenty' when they didn't, I'll know they are mistaken or scamming.

Can't do it on the box office though.
            "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

i always think the people who do the "I gave you a BIG BILL not a SMALL BILL" scam have read Shiloh one to many time... then i remember SCs dont read...

Comment

Quoth RammsteinGirl View Post
                Well.. I try to lay the bills (especially $50's and $100's) on top of the register.. but I'm always worried about someone coming up from behind me when I turn to give the customer their change and snatching the bill up. The way our registers are set up at Kmart.. the register is to our right side if we are facing the customer, not in front of us.
                At the Kitty, our register drawer is underneath the scanner and the keyboard is on a platform over the scanner facing the customer. So, we'd have to place the bills on top of the scanner, then try to to accidentally close the drawer while leaning over the keyboard to hand the customer back their change.

Now, if they'd put the drawer to the side where the printer is, it wouldn't be so bad. But alas, that'd make sense, wouldn't it.
                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Not only did I leave the money out of the tray until after I handed back the change, but I also said, "From $20" (or whatever denomination of bill they gave me) before I started getting out the change, and I counted it back to them.

It takes a few seconds longer per transaction, but once they hear it out loud...twice...it's pretty hard to argue after the fact that they gave you a different amount.
                  Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

At my job we have to put bills the customers give us i the drawer before handing out change. We have had customers reach over and grab one or two bills off the scanner and leave the rest. LP caught on to their scam and the policy was changed.

Comment

I've never, in almost 30 years of retail, had a customer reach over to grab a bill back.

Maye it's being in a small town? I don't know.
                      Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Working...
                      X