This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One caller combines my 2 favorite SC types

First this lady was one of those who gets disconnected for not paying their bill for over 2 months and gets all offended when we can't get it connected NOWNOWNOWNOWNOWNOW. Why does she need it back on so badly when you could surmise by lack of payment it wasn't that big a deal previously?

Cause it was a Thursday and she couldn't deal with her kids not having TV all weekend. Oh yes, deadbeat is also a Mom of the Year candidate who can't handle the idea of having to actually interact with her children instead of planting them in front of the tube.

It gets even better when you realize that I've been taking prednisone (a steriod) and some form of prescription pain reliever due to some cause-as-yet-undiagnosed pain in my tailbone. So my mouth to brain filter was a little slower to activate than usual.

I tried explaining it to her that I would try to get someone out sooner (first available time was on Monday which was pretty good for a restart) but I didn't want to guarantee anything. I really didn't expect there to be time available due to the weather, but what the hell I can play ball if she wants to. She keeps making offhand comments on how horrible it will be for her kids to not have TV when it's clear by the tone she's using she means it will be horrible for *her*.

Then the other shoe drops. When I try to brush off her comments by suggesting that kids will probably be able to find something to do in case the TV isn't an option, she pulls the "do YOU have kids?" card. I don't, but I do have nephews who I spent the first 4-5 years of their lives pretty much being a parent for. They aren't my direct genetic material, but IMO that doesn't make my ability to keep them entertained without the crutch of a TV any less valid.

Well not for this assclown. She came back with "well, then you don't understand since you don't have kids". UGH. First off that's a sore point since my wife and I have been trying to have kids for a while with no luck and second fuck you and your "having kids makes me an authority despite making it clear I consider them a burden" attitude. That was it for me. I just let loose with a stern "it won't be the end of the world if your kids don't have TV for a weekend". I could hear her face going over the phone. Obviously she never had a lowly phone serf speak to Her Highness with bass in their voice.

The postscript to all this is in addition to her getting quiet as a churchmouse after making me snap, I got an email later that night stating that we ended up able to get her TV reconnected on Friday. So everyone ended up getting what they wanted.
    Last edited by CancelMyService; 02-24-2008, 10:32 AM. Reason: I learned something today
    "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

Reason: bah, can't edit typos in thread titles *shakes fist*
    Yes you can. Just hit the edit button then the advanced button and edit away.
    This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

Tell her to send her kids outside for a few hours to play. I'll betcha they need some excercise.

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
        Tell her to send her kids outside for a few hours to play. I'll betcha they need some excercise.
        Are you serious..but..but that might involve *GASP* the possibility of some form of supervision, that is if the kids know what outside is other than what they see on TV.
        I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

It sounds like you have a pilonidal abscess (the thing about your tailbone). Those are really a pain in the ass! (Couldn't resist!). They really hurt, too. I had one and they had to cut it out with a knife.

And as to the other PITA, people have been raising kids for millions of years (or thousands, if you believe in creationism) and we've only had TV for the past 60 or so.
          I was not hired to respond to those voices.

Comment

Quoth CancelMyService View Post
            "do YOU have kids?"
            Me: (lying through teeth) Why, yes, yes I do. Twins, in fact. Nicest munchkins on the planet, they love playing by the creek out by my house, looking at the local flora, I tell ya those kids are going to grow really loving our planet. Why do you ask?

Do "fur-kids" count? Because my dog's spoilt rotten.

Good on you for giving her a piece of your mind! YAY!

Dog it, I miss Law and Order **Is currently without TV and have been for almost three months**
            Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Yay on giving a piece of your mind... I do that now (to an extent). I remind people who call that I'm a person too

As for the TV bit - my only TV experience for the past 3 years or so has been at work (watching Blackburn and Bolton battle it out atm - on big screen projector ) . And I haven't had a regular TV in my own place for.... ummmmm 10 years maybe?? by choice - way too much crap on it..

Slyt
              When I said "From my research", what I actually meant to say was "Made shit up" - from a thottbot thread

Comment

Holy shit you're on Prednisone and she lived to tell the tale. My dad has to go on Prednisone occasionally and it turns him into a asshole from hell. When I had to go on it last year I was affraid of how I would turn out. I told my wife to keep me in check and i turned out OK.

Hope your med problems turn out OK.
                My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Working...
                X