X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being vegetarian myself ( Buddhism ) the divisions are usually as follows:

Vegan:
    No meat, nothing derived from an animal ( food additives. Very hard to keep track of. ), nothing obtained from an animal ( Milk, cheese, eggs ). May not be able to understand irony of still wearing leather shoes.

Vegetarian:
    No meat but may still eat dairy products in a lot of cases. ( May call themselves lacto-vegetarians if particularly snooty/anal. )

Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian:
    No meat but eats eggs and dairy. You won't hear this term often unless you directly ask someone. If you do hear without asking they're probably trying to act "special".

There's no real category for "still eats seafood" since that completely defeats the point. If they still eat seafood I would submit they're just calling themselves vegetarians because it makes them feel special. ;p

Comment

Quoth queenbb View Post
      btw i heard of a lawsuit where mcdonalds was sued because they had beef flavoring on their fries, and therefore not vegitarian friendly.
      wasn't beef flavoring. Unless I'm mistaken, it was that there was beef fat (lard) in the oil used to fry them.... in India. Where cows are sacred. *sigh*
      GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post

There's no real category for "still eats seafood" since that completely defeats the point. If they still eat seafood I would submit they're just calling themselves vegetarians because it makes them feel special. ;p

That's what I think was happening with my friend's daughter: she was/is trying to feel special. The mom was all, "I don't care what she calls herself as long as she's not anorexic".

There should be prefixes for what type of meat-eaters people are:

ichthy-omnivarian for people who only eat seafood-flesh.

etc.
        I was not hired to respond to those voices.

Comment

we had a special customer like that; proudly declared herself vegan, then proceeds to order a creme based mocha malt frappucino.

EEHHHNT. you lose on two accounts.
          look! it's ghengis khan!
          Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

actually
            i've heard of Pesco-vegetarian as someone who is a vegetarian in all aspects except eating fish
            it's not a common term though, but there you go
            sex is like pizza. Even when it's bad, it's still pretty good. - Kusanagi

Comment

Quoth poofy_puff View Post
              That's what I think was happening with my friend's daughter: she was/is trying to feel special. The mom was all, "I don't care what she calls herself as long as she's not anorexic".
              Sometimes I think it's the 'fit in' impulse. I think in the case of my sister, there were a couple factors. One was her best friend was into the vegetarian thing. Second, my sister began proclaiming her vegetarian status after the movie 'Babe' came out. (Although she will adamantly deny it as a factor. However, I think it strongly influenced her listening to her friend.) Before this, she would eat hamburgers, chicken, turkey, you name it. She probably would have continued being a vegetarian if she hadn't injured her knee several years later. It got twisted around so badly, they had to go in with cadaver tendons to reconstruct it. However, because of her veggie-only diet, she wasn't getting sufficient protein to allow it to heal. Once the doctor gave her a choice between getting meat protein so her knee would heal properly, or going through life needing a knee brace, she started eating meat again, and hasn't stopped since.
              A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

Quoth tollbaby View Post
                wasn't beef flavoring. Unless I'm mistaken, it was that there was beef fat (lard) in the oil used to fry them.... in India. Where cows are sacred. *sigh*
                Heh, I remember when that happened. The running gag was that when McDonald's went to India, they had to change the recipe for their fries, but the burgers were deemed acceptable as is.

I remember reading a report a while back that said that a vast majority of people who called themselves vegetarians cheated. Whether by saying that fish doesn't count, or by being more honest with themselves and sneaking out for a steak once or twice a year.

I've got an uncle that shops like a vegetarian. If you met him in the grocery store, you'd probably assume he was. He just doesn't believe in eating meat that he didn't see killed, or wasn't killed by someone he trusts.
                Flood

Comment

there actually is a term for someone who only eats fish/seafood.

It's "Pescatarian."

That said.... chicken isn't meat? wtf?
                  My basic dog food advice - send a pm if you need more.

Saydrah's leaving the nest advice + packing list live here.

Comment

In high school we had a food service/mgm't class. Actually two full year classes. The first class was more of the basic "how to do quantity food service, cooking, sanitation, reading recipes, and a little about ordering. The second class was more involved in operations such as ordering, inventory, and more detailed cooking. We only had one fryer, because the idiots who designed the kitchen made it too small against the wishes of the instructor and cost, since we didn't use two most of the time the school decided we didn't need one.

We ran a restaurant for students to get breakfast, did banquets and a even restaurant for the general public at the end of they year. We never had a problem with any veg.s. We had come meals that didn't contain meat, they never sold well.

when I was a server I got thsi one:
                    Me: Welcome to Horizons. Our special is X, may I take your order.
                    VEG: Rattles off drinks. *I put in drink order and come back a few minutes later to take order*
                    Me: Do you have nay question?
                    VEG: No, we are all set. I'm a "full fledged vegetarian" and I will have the Chicken something.
                    OTHER PERSON: I will have Y, etc, etc
                    Me: OK. I will put that in.

I went to the kitchen and asked the teacher about it. He went out to deal with the lady. He came back and the VEG told him that he doesn't know what he is talking about, etc, etc because any chef should know that chicken is not meat.

We cooked her "non-meat" chicken. They tipped us a FUCKIGN PENNY.

Comment

I can understand being vegetarian for ethical/economic/religious/dietary reasons.

I can understand only eating certain types of meat.

I can't understand the idiocy that makes people try to claim fish/chicken aren't meat.

I REALLY can't understand meat eaters who are squicked out by meat before it's processed to the point of being physically ill. I'm not saying you have to go out and be able to kill it yourself, but if you're eating it, I think you should be able to acknowledge where it came from and what it is.
                      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

You know, he could've been affraid of Mad Cow disease, and avoiding anything where cow meat has been cooked or handled...
                        I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

Quoth Hotfoot View Post
                          When last I checked, "vegetarian" means "does not eat meat". Of course, I've been told by numerous sources now that fish is okay, which boggles my mind. Especially when they say, "If it comes from the sea, it's okay for me."
                          The person you describe, who eats seafood, is a 'Pescetarian'.
                          "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                            The person you describe, who eats seafood, is a 'Pescetarian'.
                            Thank you. I shall add that to my vocabulary and smite them with it the next time I see them.
                            Do not meddle in the affairs of insomniacs, for they are cranky and can do things to you while you sleep.

SG-14: Moving forward because everything behind is rigged to blow.

Comment

Quoth Hotfoot View Post
                              Can't we come up with a few new terms to describe these things, rather than the poor, beer-battered, deep fried "Vegetarian"?
                              There are words, people just don't bother to use them. They can't even understand "vegetarian" and "vegan," add anything else and their heads would just explode.

Quoth queenbb View Post
                              btw i heard of a lawsuit where mcdonalds was sued because they had beef flavoring on their fries, and therefore not vegitarian friendly.
                              They still have beef flavoring in the fries in America. They weren't sued because they weren't vegetarian friendly; they were sued because they blatantly lied and said they were.

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post
                              I'm sure its the same for everyone who works with food, you have two friers. One is for meat (eg fish, sausages ect ect) and the other for veg (onion rings, fries). This is for obvious reasons so that vegetarians don't end up eating something that has been cooked with meat.
                              I always thought this was due to some sort of health code. The idea of a normal restaurant voluntarily taking measures to assist veggies is difficult to believe.

Comment

i knew it was something to both of those effects,

as far as being sensitive to the needs of peoles unique eating requirements, when we have pot lucks for our groups, we have every one label what it is that they made with the option of giving a recipe so that people will know what they are eating,

we do have alot of people who have food allergies, are vegitarian, or vegan, or other
                                "Let's connect to some ones cyberbrain who is meditating, so we can download enlightenment" one of the Tachikomas (Ghost in the Shell 2nd gig)

Comment

Working...
                                X