Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A few rules to follow when shopping at your local auto parts store.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Rosco the Iroc View Post
    ^ yea that kind car. If you have something that modded have a clue before going to a chain parts store- and don't get snooty when your asked the same 4 questions everyone gets asked. Make/model/year/motor.

Oldest part I looked up- I thought this woman was fucking with me but plugs for '32 something or other, 16cyl (I forget) but the computer had it and nice to say it was 2 plugs per cyl, that impressed her when I asked if she was doing all 32.

It crossed over to an modern lawn mower plug LOL but she paid and got all then when I was able to track them all down. ( she looked to be the org owner but who am I to judge)
    I carry batteries that fit cars going back to the early 1900's. And I had some strange huge spark plugs that fit cars back in the 1800's.

Both of those caused me to send an email to the local Antique Car Club to let them know we carried such items.

Comment

Does LaDeDa Dodge have the glass fuel bowls for a 1947 Dodge Pickup (six banger)?
      Between my Dad, my brothers and I we've been looking for one for nearly 50 years.
      Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Quoth Tanasi View Post
        Does LaDeDa Dodge have the glass fuel bowls for a 1947 Dodge Pickup (six banger)?
        Between my Dad, my brothers and I we've been looking for one for nearly 50 years.
        I assume fuel filter bowl. I don't know the truck but here's what I found.

https://dcmclassics.com/27-Fuel-System

https://dcmclassics.com/fuel-system/...lass-bowl.html
        Last edited by Rosco the Iroc; 11-02-2018, 01:06 PM.
        AkaiKitsune
        Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Quoth Rosco the Iroc View Post
          I assume fuel filter bowl. I don't know the truck but here's what I found.

https://dcmclassics.com/27-Fuel-System

https://dcmclassics.com/fuel-system/...lass-bowl.html
          No not that one, it's between the fuel pump and the carburetor. It acts more as a settling bowl (for trash) than anything else. There are two versions one screws in and the other is held in by a u-shaped clip. The OE one we have broke many years ago but will work if you over tighten the clip. A similar bowl is also used on Ford 6N tractors and can be used in a pinch but you have to make a cork gasket to take up the space.
          The OE one has the Dodge script logo on it, that's the only OE logo part we don't have for that truck. Thanks for looking.
          Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

Could also be listed as a 'water trap' fuel filter. Still, a bit of glass as part of the fuel system is rather ancient (and hasn't been allowed for many years). Dad used to have a rather old truck or two, and I absorbed a little history here and there.

Comment

Some pics of what it is and as installed would help.
              AkaiKitsune
              Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
                In joke: do you know why British bikers drink warm beer? Because Lucas made refrigerators too.
                Lucas also made vacuum cleaners. They were the only products that didn't suck

But seriously, trying to get filters and hoses for the MG is always amusing. Mostly because the last ones to arrive in the US, did so in 1980. They're not in any of the computers at the stores, and any items have long disappeared from shelves. At least I can get stuff online. Every now and then though, it can be annoying. The factory would sometimes change part designs...and then not bother to assign the new part(s) a different number. You can guess what happened.
                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

And people b*tch when they try to get parts for their MINI and they get asked for the VIN... "Why do you need to know that? It's a 2012 model!!"

Uhh, because a lot of those parts changed through the course of the 2012 model year, some of them multiple times? I mean, if you want to get the wrong part and then have to return it and re-order, I guess the parts guy can make a guess... But don't be surprised if they want to charge you a re-stocking fee for being so f***ing stupid!
                  “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                  One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                  The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Buzzard View Post
                    Could also be listed as a 'water trap' fuel filter. Still, a bit of glass as part of the fuel system is rather ancient (and hasn't been allowed for many years). Dad used to have a rather old truck or two, and I absorbed a little history here and there.
                    Considers crying about the bolded part. I can remember looking under the hood of a car I was thinking about buying and asking where the glass filter was connected because I knew it needed to be checked/cleaned on a semi-regular basis. I was amazed to know that they were no longer a thing.

Quoth protege View Post
                    Lucas also made vacuum cleaners. They were the only products that didn't suck
                    Serious burn, LOL!!!

Trying to replace the u-joint bearings was a total nightmare. Car was down for over a month while I was carrying the bearings around in my pocket to show parts guys, cause buying a new u-joint was impossible at that period of time. The internet probably is why I still see Triumphs at car shows.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
                      Serious burn, LOL!!!
                      I forget where I saw that.

But seriously, Lucas only got the reputation is that too many owners tried to "improve" or "repair" things...without knowing what the hell they were doing. They'd crudely fit things like radios or spotlights, and not bother to ensure the wiring could handle it. Then they'd scream when things shorted out. Right now, I'm still using a lot of original Lucas switches. I ripped out the old wiring though--36 years of "repairs" meant it was crap. As for the switches, they can usually be taken apart, cleaned up, and put back in service. Can't do that with the cheaply-made Chinese ones though. They'll break if you try to take them apart.

Similar deal with the twin SU HS4 carbs. They're perfectly reliable if you get to understand how they work. Mine are nearly 50 years old, and other than having to replace the seals, they're fine. Much easier to work on than a Weber.

Anyway, there's just one thing I'd like to know. How the hell can someone own a car, and not know what they have? It's not like the manufacturers are secretive about their products. Badges and model names are pretty obvious
                      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                        Anyway, there's just one thing I'd like to know. How the hell can someone own a car, and not know what they have? It's not like the manufacturers are secretive about their products. Badges and model names are pretty obvious
                        There's a comedian (female) who has a joke that goes like this:-

C: (to audience) Ask me about my car.
                        A: What about your car?
                        C: It's a white one. It takes me shopping.

Comment

I'm not a car expert by any means, but can manage to remember make/model/year and have a fighting chance of remembering the engine. When my husband sends me to parts stores without him, it's with a printout of the exact part from the store's website and/or the old part as a sample.
                          "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Working...
                          X