This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You are a STUDENT

We are currently dealing with another drama llama at the moment. This particular one...hoo boy.

Over the last month or so, she has managed to do the following:

- Claim to be a "champion" for the students who have English as a second or third language (the students in question admitted to us later that she wasn't speaking for them and they hated her) and would complain about EVERYTHING to us under the guise that "the other students hated it too."

- Tried and failed to get two of my mentors fired.

- Had two OTHER mentors flat-out refuse to work with her. (Thankfully neither of them can visit the place she's currently at)

- Complained incessantly to and about both of the folks running her classes, claiming that we were being racist, predjudiced or similar against the OTHER students.

- Bragged to the other students that she got one of my mentors fired (she didn't - in fact, that particular mentor was also running some of her other classes , however, we took steps to ensure the two of them weren't together) and was going to get both of the head lecturers running her classes fired. (That failed)

With all of that, we were VERY glad to see the back of her when she went onto field placement. I also took the extra step of assigning a mentor who wasn't running any of the classes on-site and also happened to be one that the student couldn't try and push over on the grounds of age, sex or race (she's also the most experienced).

Cue the first 1:1 session between mentor and student and we get a phone call towards the end of the session. Seems that the student had been trying to work beyond what she was allowed to do (more because she wasn't board-registered) and kept getting pulled up for it by the staff. The mentor proceeded to pull her aside and informed her that while she was there, she was a student, had to therefore practice as one and that the staff pulling her up for it were actually in the right.

All I can say is that I am SO f*cking glad that our new co-manager for the team has a spine.

Sorry, but if she's openly boasting about trying to get her tutors fired, why is she still a student?
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

The program is about getting the students up to standard (or better) for taking care of patients. Sadly, this one is trying to score points in some sort of personal game by screwing with people and the system.
      Quite frankly, I would NOT want this one taking care of me. It's not that much of a step from targeting superiors to tormenting clients, and the clients aren't generally going to be in a condition to be able to defend themselves.

Comment

Quoth Buzzard View Post
        It's not that much of a step from targeting superiors to tormenting clients, and the clients aren't generally going to be in a condition to be able to defend themselves.
        It's a step down as a matter of fact
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I am hoping there is a way to prevent her from entering her field (sounds like nursing or physical therapy or similar). Graduating and becoming qualified should not be limited to passing exams or having passing grades. In my residency one of my colleagues was dismissed from the program for behavioral issues that the individual refused to correct. Yes she will probably sue but being afraid of a lawsuit is no reason to unleash this toxic individual into the medical community.
          Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
          TASTE THE LIME JELLO OF DEFEAT! -Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
            Sorry, but if she's openly boasting about trying to get her tutors fired, why is she still a student?
            In this case, it's not active sabotage or things like that, it's more along the lines of "She figures she'll lodge a formal complaint and kick and scream until my manager caves and/or make shit up." The fact that she tries this when we have more than one tutor/mentor in the room means that she does not have a leg to stand on.

I have a feeling that there's a slight racial element to it as well, since one of the tutor/mentors happened to have a bit of an accent (she also talks really fast and has been warned to slow down).

In the case of the second attempt to get a tutor/mentor fired (different one), the student was being patronising as hell and taking far too long a turn when practicing some skill. The mentor told her off and she got pissy to the point of walking out mid-session.

Unfortunately she tried this right around the time we got a new co-manager for my team, who thankfully has one hell of a spine. The fact that she's been doing this in front of witnesses as well (three other mentors were in the room at the time, along with the head lecturer AND the students) means that she won't be getting what she wants.

Quoth skeptic53 View Post
            I am hoping there is a way to prevent her from entering her field (sounds like nursing or physical therapy or similar). Graduating and becoming qualified should not be limited to passing exams or having passing grades. In my residency one of my colleagues was dismissed from the program for behavioral issues that the individual refused to correct. Yes she will probably sue but being afraid of a lawsuit is no reason to unleash this toxic individual into the medical community.
            We're actually dealing with another situation along those lines which I really can't go any further into (partially because I've deliberately kept well away from it to avoid getting too caught up). We have pulled students from their field placement before for unprofessional behaviour - if the student shows insight and we get the full story from all sides, they may be given a second chance. Key word being "may".

That being said, I do wish my damn mentors would stop bailing EVERY single f*cking time they get a challenging student. -_-

Comment

It does not seem that she knows how to pick her fights. If she was more sneaky I would say she could go far (bad as that is) but the way she is operating I am sure she will get fired in a short time once she tries this on a real job.

Comment

So I don't know what the hell exactly happened, but Ms Drama Llama is actually behaving!

What I DO know is that the mentor I assigned to her sat her down and had a major talk with her about her attitude and behaviours. Since then - no complaints and she actually passed her first assessment. She was also back on-campus the following week for an intensive session and behaved the entire time - no racism or bullying to the other students. It was like a complete 180 in personality.

Comment

I get the feeling that the mentor sat her down and told her that everyone knows what she is doing and if she wants to complete the program she needs to stop it before they kick her out.

Comment

That would make the most sense--put the drama queen on notice.
                    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

She sounds like a huge pill

Comment

Working...
                      X