This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Behold the Philosopher-King of the Bagel Place

Hello everyone, I would like to regale you with a story about my time at a bagel place with a name that sounds very near to the musical group “Pantera”. It was a fun job because of my coworkers (more on THAT later) but one incident stands out to me so much that now, 15 years later, I can still remember the interaction vividly.

So it’s a Sunday and this place closes at 7pm. I have been at work since 5am and it is now 5pm. I am off in 30 minutes. Since we usually slack off in bagel selling after the last church groups filter through around 1pm, and we’re short on closers tonight, I’ve been pulling the bakery display and cleaning the bagel racks.

Enter the Genius. He is a new customer I haven’t seen before, and he is ordering 18 bagels and 2 tubs of cream cheese. He isn’t pleased with the selection, and I let him know that our bagels are baked overnight and by late afternoon it is normal, especially on a Sunday, to have a limited selection. He ignores me and starts to gripe about how the bakery display is displeasing to his eye. He asks me why it is this way and I explain that we’re getting a head start on closing stuff. His response is to gesture theatrically to the clock and open his eyes very wide as he explains to me that we don’t close for 2 more hours!! I nod at this, and go back to cleaning as he complains to his entourage about the bagels, sneaking incredulous glances at me that I have failed to respond to his excellent point of telling me what time we close.

Finally, it’s time to ring him up. The order comes to $10.99 and he gives me $11. I glance up at the till to verify that it says .01 cents for change, signifying that the machine and I are in agreement and I haven’t punched anything in wrong because I’ve been here for 12 hours dealing with people hitting on me, attempting to convert me, complaining about the line, etc, etc, please release me from this hell.

Genius Man refuses to take the penny I offer him, opting instead to stare at me slack-jawed. I stare politely back, waiting for him to take his stupid coin and exit my life forever. Without taking the proferred penny, he says with exaggerated disbelief, “Did you have to LOOK to see how much owed me??”

I am sure that my face is a harassed mask of forced politeness at this point, and I am so done with this transaction that I genuinely don’t process what he said at first. I just keep holding out the penny and he finally takes it and his bagels, pompously delivering a parting blow: “Don’t worry honey, it’s not your fault, it’s the school system.”

I still wish I had thrown one of the bagel display boxes at him.

The douche nozzle is strong in him.
    AkaiKitsune
    Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

He was waiting for you to respond snidely, so he could complain to management and get a coupon or something.

He may complain anyway.

Comment

I hope he made it to his theatre stage before all that Drama within him exploded!
        "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
        .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

"Sir, the school system may be bad, but do you know what I DID learn? How to be POLITE."
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Canada

He better not come to Canada, we don't do pennies anymore, he would have gotten no change.

Comment

"The school system did just fine by me, mister. But your parents certainly failed YOU."

Oh, yeah. I've been fired for gross insubordination. Haven't regretted a single instance.

Comment

Sheesh.

Bagels are a breakfast food, they have to be baked in the wee hours of the morning if you want them ready, and they're no good if you don't sell them the day they're made so you can't bake more than you can estimate you're gonna need. I've never baked a bagel in my life and I know that.

If I'm craving a bagel with lox in the middle of the afternoon and I go to the bakery around the corner from my house (and how lucky am I to have a bakery around the corner from my house when I'm in a suburb half-engulfed by the forest?), and they're sold out of the bagel I was craving, I'm not gonna pitch a fit about it.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
                  He better not come to Canada, we don't do pennies anymore, he would have gotten no change.
                  Which would've given him a whole new rant about how the shop was "stealing" his money.
                  Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                  ~ Mr Hero

Comment

At the Warehouse's bakery, we begin to pull the out of dates an hour and a half before the actual store closes, because it usually takes quite a bit of time to scan them out and box them up. Most people either understand this process when they ask, they don't ask, or they throw a fit because they wanted the food that we're pulling.

The amount of people who've complained about the out of dates is crazy.
                    Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Even if you went fast and gave him incorrect change he'd bitch about that too. There is no pleasing these people.
                      "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Now there's a guy who would write a specific clause in his will to berate the mortician on his embalming job.
                        - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Smapti View Post
                          If I'm craving a bagel with lox in the middle of the afternoon and I go to the bakery around the corner from my house (and how lucky am I to have a bakery around the corner from my house when I'm in a suburb half-engulfed by the forest?), and they're sold out of the bagel I was craving, I'm not gonna pitch a fit about it.
                          Damnit now I’m craving bagels with lox. But there isn’t any good lox that I’ve found over here and the Bagel store is closed.

The last time I had lox (that was good anyway) was when a friend of mine convinced me to visit her in Sweden, -insert small town I can’t pronounce or spell correctly- (note:NEVER trust the English to Swedish dictionary). I freely admit to gorging myself. On the flip side, my friend got a kick out of me staring in awe at the northern lights so hard that I fell of her horse and landed cartoon style in a snowdrift. I don’t handle cold well. I was bundled in so many layers I couldn’t move my arms, not even to leverage myself out of a snowdrift. She was laughing right up until the horse dumped her too, and we had to walk back. Partway there we ran across a family owned bakery and grabbed some bagels with lox. Or rather she bought and informed me I was trying it. I of course shrugged my shoulders and informed her I’ve eaten far stranger things. Thus begun a lifelong addiction. I wonder if it was her plan because I keep visiting her just to have my favourite bagels and lox. And as awesome as Sweden is, in the winter it’s too cold for me. That being said I don’t like it when the temperature dips under 30*C soooo....

If anyone on Vancouver Island knows where to get good bagels and lox please do share.
                          Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Comment

I always wonder about the inner workings of the minds of those types of people. My step-dad is exactly like the guy in the OP. If he asks about a product at a store and the employee doesn't have a freaking degree in that specific item (and, by extension every item in the store, and know everything about the company, other stores in the area, and whatever other random thing comes up) then cue the sigh and eye rolls.

Inside his head, does he think he's being reasonable? I bet if you asked him he would say that he knows he's not perfect, that he knows he's not always right. But his actions show the opposite. There's not much worse than someone like the guy in the OP. Nothing will make them happy, everyone other than themselves are idiots, and they think they are totally justified in being jerks.
                            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
                              He was waiting for you to respond snidely, so he could complain to management and get a coupon or something.

He may complain anyway.
                              Being that the OP said this happened 15 years ago, I would say he wouldn't...but you never know.
                              It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Working...
                              X