Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hollywood stereotypes- and I could use some cheering up.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hollywood stereotypes- and I could use some cheering up.

So Remembrance Day is coming up. My poppy that I wear is pinned to me by the little Canadaian Armed Forces pin that I got because I find the damn things fall off otherwise. Most people who saw either didn’t understand the significance of it, didn’t care, or assumed it belonged to a family member (I look like I’m 12 if I bother with makeup rather then the just shy of 30 that I am. I’ve even had people ask if I’m even legal age to be working.)

Of course, along comes The Asshole. (Who judging by his full out American flag vest and American pins was likely American. Or really really loved the USA)

AH: You shouldn’t wear a military pin if you weren’t military. It’s disrespectful! (In snotty voice)
    Me: I was military for 10years sir. I held an admin role when I turned 15 so that I could still be in school but when I graduated I joined the Army and passed my marksman and sharpshooter tests with ease before being fast-tracked through sniper training. I grew up in a military family and had been given training (not necessarily asked for) on a variety of military grade weapons at a very young age. (My family has been military too long and no longer understands what is considered ‘normal’ for an age range. I could strip a weapon, clean it, and reassemble it by the time I was 4. Couldn’t write my name though like I said, my family’s fucked up)
    AH: you mean to tell me a four-eyes like you was a sniper?! *scoffs*
    Me: When I was still with the military I used contact lenses so they wouldn’t get in my way. (Or lost) Unfortunately they like to fall out and now that I’m a civvies I just don’t care enough to deal with the extra hassle.
    AH: Have you seen combat then? You telling me you sat on a rooftop by yourself and shot people?
    Me: I was never ‘by myself’ as Snipers, marksman, and usually even sharpshooters act in pairs as it is a rather vulnerable position. My main job was to provide overwatch to those on the ground.
    AH: but did you ever shoot anyone? Bet you didn’t.
    Me: I served a decade in the armed forces in a time where the Canadians were still very much a part of Iraq/Afghanistan. (The best non-answer you can give)

Asshole’s order concluded so he couldn’t continue to harass me. And I know I shouldn’t listen to assholes like him who would probably wet himself on Day One (or be THAT person who shoots themselves in the foot giving a speech about gun safety). But for some reason idiots like that bug me. Yes I wear glasses. And guess what, I could probably outshoot you and your buddies. The point of glasses/contacts is to correct your vision so you aren’t looking down a scope and doing math on a blurry target. Yes I prefer glasses because it’s less hassle then trying to figure out if I got the contact out or if it fell out or if it’s still lodged in my eyeball and then putting it in a solution over night so it doesn’t dry out. Much easier to just slap glasses on.

The people who comment about how it’s just point and shoot are people who need to stop taking Hollywood at face value. There’s a ton of math done to ensure accurate results every time, a lot of it is mental (and honestly at this point mostly done without really thinking about it anymore). A head shot looks impressive in movies but I have a lot more respect for someone who can hit a target dead center that they have called out before hand. We once made cutouts of person with their fingers and other small details (instead of the usual general shape) and one guy I knew could call out a finger and the section of the finger and could hit that section in such a way that it was the only part that would go missing. To me that shows a scary amount of control. Not only in accurately but for accounting the radius that taking that shot encircles. Also, you can be a marksman and/or a sharpshooter and not be a sniper. You can’t however make it to sniper without one or both of those qualities.

I left because they kept trying to ‘promote’ me into officerdom (yes I know that’s not a word) and shuffle me into comms or intelligence. Both places I could probably have excelled at but had absolutely no interest in. As integral to the functionality of the Armed Forces regardless of branch both those areas are...I had zero interest. I actually snapped and told someone that if I was interested in chaining myself to a desk under annoying fluorescent bulbs that made my eyes sting all day, listening to adult children bitch whine and moan then I would have become a teacher in a college or university. They didn’t take kindly to that...probably shouldn’t have said that to an officer. Even if they did ask for an honest reason not to go to hell(training) for officers.

Having done my best to start at the lowest position they would allow and earn my rank I have a deep seated dislike for the majority of officers. I could have given my family history with the military asked for just about any position and be granted it provided I complete the training but I didn’t want that for myself.

That being said, I am still a lazy little fuck.
    Last edited by AkaiKitsune; 11-10-2018, 09:17 AM.
    Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

You'll find his picture in the wikipedia entry for "Dip-of-Shit".
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Guy was prob part of Meal Team-6 and took taco shrapnel at the battle of boof-et

I had a asshat try this. I was in boot 2weeks after HS so I did my 20 and am still "fairly" young.
      I had to break it down for him.

As for the poppy, I had an VFW fellow give my 12yo son static about not taking a poppy and caring about vets, I looked at him and said his support and love though my deployments shows more than that damm thing. I've been kind of jaded about them ever since.
      AkaiKitsune
      Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Why do wannabes always focus on how-many-d'ya-kill-tho'? There's hundreds of thousands of jobs in the military where folk will never see the front line, but they're just as important to the smooth running of the unit. Not everyone signs up just to carve notches... And many who do so for that specific reason often find out that it's not what they were expecting!

Fucking armchair warriors and their "I learned everything I need to know about warfare from the TV" mentality.
        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth Rosco the Iroc View Post
          Guy was prob part of Meal Team-6 and took taco shrapnel at the battle of boof-et

I had a asshat try this. I was in boot 2weeks after HS so I did my 20 and am still "fairly" young.

As for the poppy, I had an VFW fellow give my 12yo son static about not taking a poppy and caring about vets, I looked at him and said his support and love though my deployments shows more than that damm thing. I've been kind of jaded about them ever since.
          (This was from when I was pretty young)

One of my great grand-I’m-not-quite-certain-of-the-relation-here had been in Vietnam and he had up until the day he died refused to wear a poppy because of how he was treated when he got back from war. The one thing he said and the only thing about him that stuck in my head was “support for troops on both side of a war should be something given automatically. You shouldn’t have to wear a damn flower to show that. Fuck the country they fought for and fuck their politicians and fuck their leaders. Both sides believe they are in the right, otherwise they wouldn’t have committed lives to war. The *soldier’s* sacrifices should be honoured regardless of who they fought for or why. You can hate everything about your enemy but respect the fact he or she has enough commitment to something to give up their life.” He flew Canadian and American flags, for the people he fought for, and beside, respectively. But he also flew a Vietnam flag out of respect for his enemies sacrifices and their intelligent way of fighting the war. He hated them and was a bit of a racist bastard after he returned if rumours are to be believed (again I was still ver very young when he died). But he still respected them. He was pissed that for the most part people don’t know about Canada’s part in Vietnam (both for and against).

*All* my family was military. Every single one of them. And we’ve got family all over the globe. The running joke being that we never marry from the same country we were born in. I’ve got family journals going back to the crusades (thank you museum for translating in favour of getting a copy yourselves to study from) because that’s when my family became literate. It was a condition that they had for joining the crusades in the first place, learn to read and write in a time where that was far from common.

My family has at times fought on both sides of different wars (Not something I’m always proud of). Back before woman were allowed to join the military they would show their support by joining the medical side either as aides or in later years as nurses. Except the Russian side. I actually have a family journal from one of my ancestors who joined the Night Witches. I personally think my Russian part is badass and judging by the dubbed Little-Russian-Yoda (picture female Yoda, give her a Russian accent, and crank the crazy up. Minus the green skin and you’ve got a dobleganger) who is the only full Russian in my family left, and completely insane. The kinda crazy you look up in the dictionary and see a list of my family tree.
          Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Comment

Made my fucking day.

Now that I’m older I have a hell of a lot of respect for my mum. How she raised two kids by herself, one with a disability. When she was an active service member and often on tour astounds me. I kinda wish I had been less of a little shit now. She even managed to be there for my grade 7 and grade 12 grad when she was in the middle of tour both times. Now I recognize that she was just trying to do the best she could with the tools she was given. But back then I couldn’t see beyond how my classmates saw me as weird. (My family is fucked up enough that if you break something trying to run the infantry obstacle course before you’re of school age, which might I point out was *not* designed with children in mind, that it wasn’t run for the medics it was “gather round kids, this is how you stabilize an break until you can carry them to medical aid”.) Some of the more common civvy things completely astounded me and some basic children skills evaded me. My classmates couldn’t see past the fact that I could strip and clean a gun before I could write my name. Or that I knew what some of the big words used in training manuals meant but couldn’t understand basic kid vocabulary. Later I was less of a freak-to-avoid and more of a freak-show-to-see. That’s what happens when for a long time you are military who raises their kids on a military base (or sometimes in an actual combat zone wtf?) and then those kids grow up and join the military at as young an age as possible and the cycle continues down the generations. Hell, I can still remember one of my b-days where my ‘gift’ was to drive a tank and to shoot a rocket launcher. Like wtf? Who lets a kid drive a tank for their 10th bday? Or handle ordinance of any kind? Am I the only one looking back and seeing a disaster waiting to happen?

(This was from when I was pretty young)

One of my great grand-I’m-not-quite-certain-of-the-relation-here had been in Vietnam and he had up until the day he died refused to wear a poppy because of how he was treated when he got back from war. The one thing he said and the only thing about him that stuck in my head was “support for troops on both side of a war should be something given automatically. You shouldn’t have to wear a damn flower to show that. Fuck the country they fought for and fuck their politicians and fuck their leaders. Both sides believe they are in the right, otherwise they wouldn’t have committed lives to war. The *soldier’s* sacrifices should be honoured regardless of who they fought for or why. You can hate everything about your enemy but respect the fact he or she has enough commitment to something to give up their life.” He flew Canadian and American flags, for the people he fought for, and beside, respectively. But he also flew a Vietnam flag out of respect for his enemies sacrifices and their intelligent way of fighting the war. He hated them and was a bit of a racist bastard after he returned if rumours are to be believed (again I was still ver very young when he died). But he still respected them. He was pissed that for the most part people don’t know about Canada’s part in Vietnam (both for and against).

*All* my family was military. Every single one of them. And we’ve got family all over the globe. The running joke being that we never marry from the same country we were born in. I’ve got family journals going back to the crusades (thank you museum for translating in favour of getting a copy yourselves to study from) because that’s when my family became literate. It was a condition that they had for joining the crusades in the first place, learn to read and write in a time where that was far from common.

My family has at times fought on both sides of different wars (Not something I’m always proud of). Back before woman were allowed to join the military they would show their support by joining the medical side either as aides or in later years as nurses. Except the Russian side. I actually have a family journal from one of my ancestors who joined the Night Witches. I personally think my Russian part is badass and judging by the dubbed Little-Russian-Yoda (picture female Yoda, give her a Russian accent, and crank the crazy up. Minus the green skin and you’ve got a dobleganger) who is the only full Russian in my family left, and completely insane. The kinda crazy you look up in the dictionary and see a list of my family tree.

Comment

AkaiKitsune

If we had a rep system on here I'd hit it twice.

I think I will have a drink and cigar tonight for some of my shipmates and the times we had.

The Watch

For twenty years
              This sailor has stood the watch
              While some of us were in our bunks at night
              This sailor stood the watch

While some of us were in school learning our trade
              This shipmate stood the watch

Yes.. even before some of us were born into this world

In those years when the storm clouds of war were seen brewing on the horizon of history

Many times he would cast an eye ashore and see his family standing there
              Needing his guidance and help
              Needing that hand to hold during those hard times
              But he still stood the watch

He stood the watch for twenty years
              He stood the watch so that we, our families and
              Our fellow countrymen could sleep soundly in safety, Each and every night
              Knowing that a sailor stood the watch

Today we are here to say
              'Shipmate... the watch stands relieved
              Relieved by those You have trained ,Guided, and Led
              Shipmate you stand relieved.. we have the watch..."

"Boatswain..Standby to pipe the side...Shipmate's going Ashore.."
              Last edited by Rosco the Iroc; 11-10-2018, 04:57 PM.
              AkaiKitsune
              Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Even without demonstrations from our little Red Fox here, I know better than judge a person's service (or ability) based on little faults (perceived or otherwise).
                Unless they out themselves as a fake of some sort, ALL servicemen, past and present have my profound respect.

Those who seek to belittle those who have served, or cannot believe... Such sad lives they must lead, that there is no room for excellence around them.

Comment

“We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.”

― Winston Churchill

Comment

Four-eyes? Wow, I've worn glasses for many years, since I was in middle school, and have NEVER heard that insult in real life. I've only heard it in old movies. I thought that died out maybe... In the early 90s or even before then.
                    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Double post here because I feel that the above quote should stand alone. Looks mean nothing when it comes to skills and training. OK, I might find it hard to believe when a 19 year old 300 lb man says he's an active duty Marine, but a blind 300 lb man in his 70's who fought in the Korean war? Not questionable at all in my mind.

Sadly enough, stolen glory is a thing. I'm not sure why, but there it is.

I was active duty at the end of the Vietnam War. As a member of the distaff gender, I was "service and support". I've never met a single Vet who didn't think my service was important. I didn't shoot anyone, but I made sure that people who needed bullets had them. The front lines can only function if their supply line functions flawlessly.

Now, on a lighter note, I ride with a motorcycle club called the Leathernecks. I was Air Force. For every story they have of "suffering" I have one that can top it.

The guys start telling stories about sleeping in the mud/snow/sand/heat and I will share about the week in Okinawa when the air conditioner in my room went out, with many details about my suffering from the humidity and how the 2 fans I was issued as a stop-gap measure just blew hot, humid air around.

Their cook tent burnt down and they were eating c-rats for a week? Once our ice-cream dispenser broke and we couldn't have chocolate for three whole days.

They couldn't drink in the sandbox? During my time, they removed the free beer machines from the chow hall.

Comment

If you'd held things closer to your chest he wouldn't have gotten to you. It's not his business how long you were in the army, what role you took, whether you saw action. To a comment like, "you shouldn’t wear a military pin if you weren’t military. It’s disrespectful!" I would have just smiled at him, maybe given one word in agreement, and then left him wondering.

Comment

AkaiKitsune, even though you served in the Canadian military (Yankee here), I still will thank you for your military service. Personally, I think that you should have smacked his ass senseless given him a demonstration of Canadian Hand to Hand combat techniques. Purely for educational purposes. We don't condone violence on CS.

And while I am at it, a big "Thank You!" to everyone who has served in the military.
                          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                          Save the Ales!
                          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

All the military people I know ( just a few people) do not talk about how many people they killed.

Plus one Canadian vet I was talking to was a jumper, and he was almost in tears talking about watching his friends and teammates die in the air and he was helpless to help them till he landed and by that time it was too late.

PS. The one guy at work who was always boasting of his military service turned up to have washed out at boot camp. Those can do, those that can't boast.

Comment

My father spent World War II making vaccines for the military. Not just making them, but researching how to make them safer and more effective. He probably saved a helluva a lot of lives, but only got credit as a slacker, because he never served in the military.

Then there was my uncle, another slacker who was a merchant marine. All he did was skipper supply ships across the ocean hoping to avoid submarines, destroyers, and dive bombers.

I still get angry when people complain about WW II draft dodgers, without considering that there were many ways to serve that didn’t involve being in the military.

Comment

Working...
                              X