Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I should've cancelled my day off Friday because the office is closing 3 hours early but everyone still gets 8 hours of pay. I could've had a short day and used the vacation time in December. But we close 5 hours early Christmas Eve with pay which is nice. I was going to take the day off but the time isn't available.* At any rate, 4-day weekend for me. Plus I had to take off 3.5 days in December to use up vacation.

I don't plan to shop Thanksgiving or Friday on principle. The only thing I'll get on Friday is food if I need to. I might go to my parents'. Thanksgiving dinner is with my church family and I'm house-sitting/bunny-sitting (adorable Netherland dwarf). My only weekend plans are deep cleaning and organizing my life.

*My team doesn't cover phones but for whatever reason we can't have too many people off the same day. I fail to see why it matters. None of us does anything that needs to be covered by another person. We all have our own assigned accounts.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I have to go out on Friday to pick up two dozen deviled eggs that were ordered this afternoon. I will NOT be shopping other than that.

Wouldn't even be doing that, except I got told they won't deliver the eggs with the rest of my groceries.
      Last edited by morgana; 11-22-2018, 05:18 AM. Reason: turns out the library's closed

Comment

And we Brits will enjoy our peaceful regular Thursday and Friday shop...Ah bliss...No wild throngs,no stampeding mobs.... 😊
        The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Black Wednesday at the Store actually went pretty smoothly. We were a lot busier than usual, of course, but not as busy as we were over the weekend, and we had plenty of cashiers scheduled, so those of us on the floor were able to get our stocking done and go home on time without having to help check.

We did run out of turkeys, but why are you waiting until the day before Thanksgiving to buy a turkey in the first place?

We close at 3 PM today, so I get to take the day off and have Thanksgiving dinner in peace. I'll be back on Friday, but that's the slowest day of the year in the grocery business, so I'll probably be bored out of my skull all evening.

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
            And we Brits will enjoy our peaceful regular Thursday and Friday shop...Ah bliss...No wild throngs,no stampeding mobs.... 😊
            Don't worry, we'll be infecting you as well. We've already got Canada, who celebrates their own Thanksgiving holiday in mid-October.
            “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
            One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
            The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
              Don't worry, we'll be infecting you as well.
              Keep yer nasty fungicidal vegetables away from us.
              The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

The UK's already been infected; Black Friday sales are sneaking their way into some stores, and of course Cyber Monday for Amazon and the like. Eh, there's nothing I wanna buy anyway, let alone wait for a special day not to buy it.
                This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Clinic only closes 2 days a year: Thanksgiving and Christmas Day. I'll be working tomorrow, crushing drug-seeker's dreams per usual.
                  Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
                  TASTE THE LIME JELLO OF DEFEAT! -Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                    For the first time in a couple years I actually received a physical copy of the BF mailer from the Fabric Store. I started looking at it, then abruptly threw it in the recycling. No good could come from those flashbacks. They are doing the 6 AM opening time on both Wednesday and Friday again this year. I remember it really helped cut down on the crowds because they were more evenly split over the two days.
                    To give the Fabric Store credit, they've always been closed on Thanksgiving Day, and say so in the flyer. They haven't decided to open on Thanksgiving like too many other stores do now.

My store would have a potluck in the break room for the employees. It was excellent; we didn't have to go out and fight through crowds (just had to fight through the crowds in the store to get to the break room!), there was always a variety of very tasty food and more than enough to satisfy everybody. Good food does much to improve employee morale on the most insane day of the year. And you're right, splitting Black Friday between two days definitely helped with crowd control. Then we had the insanity of the Saturday-only sales!
                    Last edited by XCashier; 11-22-2018, 06:58 PM. Reason: can't type worth a rat's arse
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
                      ...and of course Cyber Monday for Amazon and the like.
                      I actually need to buy tablet cases for my mum and my sister, so I'm going to be going online on Monday to buy them. Might as well take advantage *shrugs*.
                      "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Unless the dealership does something silly like my old one offering free oil changes- today will be kind of slow. Crazy was people getting ready Monday and Tues for trips.
                        AkaiKitsune
                        Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                          Don't worry, we'll be infecting you as well. We've already got Canada, who celebrates their own Thanksgiving holiday in mid-October.
                          I guess they have Black Tuesday, then? I would imagine people would want to take Tuesday off to make a 4-day weekend the way we do Friday? Have the retailers picked up on that?

I'm off today and not going anywhere near the mall. I might run by the mid-town Aldi later or if it has calmed down maaaaybe the Walmart. My only definite plans are a prayer walk in my fave neighborhood/park area and a community service project. For the rest of the weekend: closer look at health plans & maybe registration if I can get in to the website, load of laundry, a few housework tasks, grocery shopping/meal planning, casual part-time job-hunting. I really should haul a few things to the dump.
                          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Went to Best Buy to grab some cheap movies this morning. It was very well-organized, non-crazy, and I was waiting in line to check out for maybe three minutes. Granted, it might have been more insane around 1:00 AM...

Comment

The line at Total Wine this morning was about 50 deep when my crew got there to get the Goose Island Bourbon County Stouts. Very orderly, and no problems what so ever.

My Black Friday shopping went very well, to say the least.
                              "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Calls here have been insane, and mostly store reps asking us to do their jobs for them. Their excuses generally fall into one of two things: 1) our systems aren't working, or 2) we can find the price plan we quoted to the customer. I've already discovered that the first point isn't necessarily true because when I couldn't process adding a tablet and tablet line because of how our systems are set up, the rep was easily able to do it on their end...after telling me that their system was down. As for the second, it would be handy if the reps wouldn't make offers that don't exist - we have no way of being able to pull these price plans out of our asses, and can't do anything special to make these plans happen.

Comment

Working...
                                X