This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• /whine

As you may remember I broke my arm and needed surgery to reattach my radial head. I have started physical therapy. It basically consists of "Do x till it hurts, then do it 10 more times" or "Do Y till it hurts, then hold it for 30 seconds, then do it again."

I'm supposed to do my exercises every hour. That means just as soon as I stop hurting I do it all over again.

Quoth Akasa View Post
    As you may remember I broke my arm and needed surgery to reattach my radial head. I have started physical therapy. It basically consists of "Do x till it hurts, then do it 10 more times" or "Do Y till it hurts, then hold it for 30 seconds, then do it again."

I'm supposed to do my exercises every hour. That means just as soon as I stop hurting I do it all over again.
    Ow!

You have all my sympathy. The last time I had PT (following compression fracture of head of humerous) I named my therapist Dr. Evil.

On second thought, I lied. Dr. Evil was not the therapist for post-break PT, he was the therapist post-bonespur surgery PT. It seemed far, far worse than the PT I had the first two times (broken shoulder, frozen shoulder). This may have been because the therapist was going faster than the one I had the other two times, or maybe just because I had forgotten blocked out how much fun PT is. It dragged on for months because I wasn't doing what I was told, because I was just plain tired of hurting myself. Finally I got fed up and told myself to shape up and do the damn exercises. And I still could not do what Dr. Evil -- who was actually a very kind man -- told me to do, so I kind of invented my own, doing what I felt I could do. At this point I began making rapid progress. (I did show Dr. Evil and the surgeon what I was doing and they approved.)

You get out of PT what you put into it. But it still sucks. A lot.
    Last edited by Sparky; 02-15-2013, 01:06 PM.
    Women can do anything men can.
    But we don't because lots of it's disgusting.
    Maxine

Comment

Ah the joys of "personal torture "... I'm in the middle of rehabbing 2 large shoulder labrum tears my Ortho fixed. 8 weeks locked in a sling to protect the repair has resulted in months of pt to pull loose and strengthen all the muscles/ligaments/tendons in my left arm and shoulder. It's been less than fun

Comment

I know EXACTLY how you feel! I had tendinitis in my ankles and the regular exercises everyday were awful. Just gotta power through it!
        Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Comment

You'll see the pay off when you get your full range of motion in that shoulder yet.
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

It's elbow, not shoulder. Range of motion up and down, and wrist flat palm down and palm up.

Comment

Whups!
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                Whups!
                The elbow bone's connected to the shoulder bone...
                (HsD here.)
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Akasa, I had the same surgery a few years ago. I know the physical therapy is a pain, but listen to them. My Therapist was a complete nazi about my therapy but I have back over 90% in both rotation and extention and 75% strength, when they told me best case was 80% R&E and 50% strength. If you don't have a permanent plate, I hear with enough work you can get to 95% rotation or more and extention and 80% or more strength!
                  And why do they keep the employees in a cage? The same reason they keep lions, tigers and bears in a cage, to keep them from culling the herd. -Dark Psion

Comment

Also, I recommend finding an upperbody or arm bike to use! Hurts like hell but you'll watch your numbers shoot up!
                    And why do they keep the employees in a cage? The same reason they keep lions, tigers and bears in a cage, to keep them from culling the herd. -Dark Psion

Comment

What is an upper body/arm bike?

Comment

Quoth Akasa View Post
                        What is an upper body/arm bike?
                        It's basically a bike-like set-up which you pedal with your arms instead of your legs. Oh, and you don't go anywhere. Like this:

They're great for building upper-body strength, increasing reach, etc.
                        "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                          The elbow bone's connected to the shoulder bone...
                          Now heaaarrr the worrrrd of the physiotherapist!
                          Seshat's self-help guide:
                          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                            Now heaaarrr the worrrrd of the physiotherapist!
                            quackopractor!
                            quackiropractor!
                            Last edited by dalesys; 02-21-2013, 01:17 AM. Reason: more silly babbles
                            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                            X