This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a free word processing program

Al (my boyfriend)'s last computer died. This is unfortunate because two of my Nano novels were on there. Thankfully I emailed myself one of them.

However, his new computer has a POS wordpad (I can't locate word count, and spell check's not on)...and notepad.

Needless to say I do not want to rewrite the first two books (#1 was on a previous computer, but I got a proof copy of it) in NOTEPAD. Publishers would laugh at me.

So do you all know of any good free word-processing programs?
    My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Have you tried OpenOffice?
    If for any reason you're not satisfied with our service, I hate you.

Comment

Open Office. I've been using it for years. Simple, stable, and free; it will save in .doc or .docx format, as well as its own proprietary format (.odt). The menu options are very similar to the older versions of MS Word, which I vastly prefer to the new layout!

And AAAAUGH! on the near-loss! :O Backup copies are your friends!!!

Comment

I'll third OpenOffice. It'll do everything MSWord will do from the bit I've used it, it'll even handle Word files and documents.
        You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

I write everything in Google Docs. That way if my computer dies, it's all stored elsewhere.

Also, I can access if from any online computer and also from my phone (there is a Google Docs phone ap).

Works just like Word.

Comment

Thanks, guys. I'll try OpenOffice.

I couldn't do shit with Microsoft Office anyway. I could never find anything!

I would have hated to have lost my last Nano.

Merlin, Dracula (who rants abuot "fake vampires")...hehehe.
            Last edited by Tama; 02-13-2012, 06:56 AM.
            My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Open Office all the way. I have used it for years and love it!!!
              The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Though since Ork-er-all bought Sun most of the OpenOffice crew jumped ship and went to LibreOffice.
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

My books were written in OpenOffice.

LibreOffice is - I am told - just as good.
                  Seshat's self-help guide:
                  1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                  2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                  3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                  4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

We tried Libre at work. Massive resource hog. That said, our computers here are criminally underpowered.

Rapscallion

Comment

I'd also echo Open (or Libre) Office, with a nod to AbiWord as a good second.

Now, if you use Open/Libre, and you have need of sending files to others who use MSO, then you'll want to:

- Install OO/LO as usual.
                      - Run it.
                      - From the main menu window's upper bar, select "Tools --> Options --> Load/Save --> Microsoft Office", and check all the boxes that deal with the MSO files you use. (You do not have to save settings, as this is done as you click!)
                      - Click on the "General" section above that, and use the drop-down menus on the right to select how you want the documents to be saved as default. Since Open/Libre were developed with "Open Sourcing" in mind (hence the naming), they default to using Open Document Foundation (ODF) standards. Microsoft refuses to use these with MSO, so if you send your friends one of your stories as an ODF, they will not be able to open it. This setting will allow you to save them as DOCs, and not have to worry about it. You may lose some formatting when converting, though, so use cautiously.

AbiWord should import/export DOCs just fine, too, but it doesn't allow them to be the default.

barcode

Comment

I've also seen Notepad+ mentioned as a good one, but I've never tried it.
                        The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

I forget....doesn't Open/Libre Office also allow saving as PDF?

Comment

I want to put in a vote for abiword as well, if you are just needing a standalone word processor.

It is simple sleek and a no brainer to work with.

Comment

Quoth dendawg View Post
                              I forget....doesn't Open/Libre Office also allow saving as PDF?
                              My version has a little button that says "Export directly as a PDF," so I'd say yes.

I've never noticed LO as a resource hog, but then again, it is running on a custom-made 64-bit gaming rig with eight gigabytes of RAM, so I'm not the person to ask about that.
                              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                              X