This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hold on tight Brits!

Storm Ciara is coming.. gales.. freezing temperatures... wind...rain and 3 foot of snow in Northern parts. Batten down the hatches and keep safe
    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

From what I understand Marmalady lives in the southern part. I just hope she, and the rest of the lot are safe.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

It's been a bit hairy over here on the east coast. Thetford's substation blew up (an actual explosion), and as of this moment there are 4.5K households still without power. A lot of downed trees, of course, and several areas are flooded. Poor old Wisbech's football stand has also been utterly destroyed by the winds.

How are things up in Scotland, if there's anyone living up there? Everyone OK? From the weather report you're getting the winds we had yesterday combined with snow, which is a horrible combination.
      "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

We're not too bad down here...the weather has been pretty evil but everything is still standing. Seems the worst is East and North. Euston closed because people don't understand don't travel unless you have to. And Man City v West Ham got called off..
        The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Storm Dennis is coming...another foot of snow on the way...which will melt and mean even more floodwater. Yippee here we go again x

Comment

Tell me about it. I was going to take my dog down the beach to have a proper run around, since walking him has been problematic this week (I'm willing to go, but it's hard to walk when you are literally having to drag a Cocker Spaniel that's digging his claws in).
            "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Dennis has arrived...lots of flooding in the Valleys
              ..trees down...delays to trains and buses... hopefully everyone is alive and well and intact. Hold on tight...next week Ellen's on the way oh joy. As if it isn't soggy enough

Comment

I'm sorry, y'all. We're no strangers to bad storms. You get through it and then have to deal with flooding.
                "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

To be honest, by this point the wind is just business as usual around here. Thankfully we haven't had it too bad in the flooding stakes, not like other parts of the country. Any trees that were going to go, went already when Ciara and Dennis went through.

Really, we need to start working on our flood management plans. Rather than sticking up miles of concrete barriers, it would be much better to spend some time re-creating the winding bends in rivers up-stream that our ancestors took out for farming or transport purposes. This would slow down the speed of the water, so further down-stream wouldn't get so hammered. Putting in a few flood pits nearby for when the banks overflow would help as well, as would incorporating more green areas (or at the least, shingled areas over earth) in towns and cities so that water would drain into the ground instead of flowing straight over tarmac/paving slabs into the drains, overwhelming them.

Comment

Working...
                  X