This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baking snafu

So I was making a strawberry and rhubarb crunch thing, but the crunch/crumb part came out all wonky. Like not very crumbly at all.
    I've already baked the strawberry and rhubarb mixture, but what should I do with it? I don't have any ready made pastry shells.

Add more dry stuff? See if it evens out?....I have no idea, my advice will probably end up in fire.
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

What was in the crumbly part?
      What was the recipe?

Maybe that can be salvaged if you let us know what went into it.
      Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

If all else fails, top with whipped cream. Can't go wrong with that.
        The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

As long as it still taste good I use my "not quite rights" anyway and learn from it. I generally only bake for family so they can deal with not perfect looking goods.

Comment

Break the crunch/crumb part apart and toast it. Then use as originally intended.
            You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

It was a flour, brown sugar, butter mixture. Butter melted too fast (it was hot in the kitchen yesterday). After the fact I realized I was supposed to put nuts in it, but I really don't care for nuts.

Comment

I usually put some oats in mine
                The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth violiavampyr View Post
                  It was a flour, brown sugar, butter mixture. Butter melted too fast (it was hot in the kitchen yesterday). After the fact I realized I was supposed to put nuts in it, but I really don't care for nuts.
                  Mix the crumble in advance in a chilled glass bowl, put it in a zip top bag and stuff it in the freezer until you need it. Then just before you're ready to bake take the crumble mix out and spread it over the fruit. Bake it right after.

If you can keep the butter from melting in advance, crumble mix keeps frozen very well.
                  I AM the evil bastard!
                  A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

It "may* kill you if you eat it, but I *WILL* if you don't.
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                      Add more dry stuff? See if it evens out?....I have no idea, my advice will probably end up in fire.
                      Where's the like button??
                      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
                      X