Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apperently I'm weaker then I need to be.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apperently I'm weaker then I need to be.

I had a flat tire on Mon, and since I only knew the theory of how to change a tire I took inventory of what my car did and didn't have, and called my dad to come and help me.
    (My car had a spare tire, and only the jack part of the jack, not the lever to make the jack go up-an no other tools)

After he got there it took him less then 15 minutes to get the spare on, and then went to see if the tire store could repair the tire, (he ended up having to buy me a new tire)

On Tue morning he went to put the new tire on, and I asked him to let me do everything so that I wouldn't need to call him next time.

It did not go off to a very good start, step one I went to loosen the bolts- turned out I was not strong enough; he had to start it for me. Step two, while I could get the car up a little bit, I was not strong enough to bring the car up to where it needed to be. Failure three, I could not pull the spare tire off the car, and failure four, I could not lift the new tire off the ground to put it on to the car. At that point I gave up doing anything and just watched him finish.

So while in theory I know how to change a tire I would not be able to do it with out help.

As far as the lug nuts go, they're usually put on with air wrenches, so they're always really tight. I've had good luck with standing on the lug wrench.

You hook it on the nut so it's pointing up at about 10 o clock, and stand on it with both feet. Sometimes you have to bounce up and down a little.

Just make sure you have the right shoes on. High heels would not be conducive to this.
    "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

I know the feeling of not being strong enough.

I can change my own tyre but only because I have a few extra things in my tool bag. I have several small blocks of wood of varying sizes to help get the tyre onto the bolts. My jack is a heavy duty one that is super easy to raise and lower. I can lift my car with one hand. hehe.

My family always insists that the tyre people tighten the nuts by hand. They can start them with the air guns but they have to finish them by hand. We drive too many country km's to want to wait by the side of the road for hours for help.
      A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Quoth Draper Mel View Post
        As far as the lug nuts go, they're usually put on with air wrenches, so they're always really tight. I've had good luck with standing on the lug wrench.
        These were the lug nuts my dad had tightened after putting on the spare tire.

Comment

Thanks for reminding me. I need to double-check what's in my new car.

I changed a tire on my own once (while wearing nice business clothes...ugh). I had the advantage of having helped Hubs change and rotate tires in the past, though. Second Draper Mel's suggestion of standing on the lug wrench and putting your body weight into it. Those things can get on there pretty tight (which is good for when you're driving, not so good when you want to remove them).
          Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

A long piece of pipe to fit over the wrench handle will help you get better leverage. Jumping on the handle helps too.
            A hydraulic jack will give you the strength to lift the car. Just check that it fits under the car when there is no air in the tyre , speaking from experience here...

Comment

Sounds to me like you need to see if your "strong enough" to write a check to AAA. Its for your own good.

Also, there are tricks to get past all of those issues.
              1. Use the jack to break the lugs loose.
              2. Use a longer lever
              3. Depends on the car layout.
              4. Line up one lug and spin the tire

Now, do you know how to check all your fluid levels?

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
              Thanks for reminding me. I need to double-check what's in my new car.
              Good idea. I went to do some work on my "newer" car (bought used almost three years ago) and found that I did not have a lug wrench. Good thing I have AAA and have never had a flat on it.
              Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
              Save the Ales!
              Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Working...
              X