X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job Hunting Woes!

I need to know I'm not alone here!

The job-hunting situation is really getting me down. Weekend before last, I used one of my (few) days off (I volunteered for overtime at my part-time job...good for money, but sadly, as I hate my job, bad for sanity, but Sanity VS Money is a debate for another day ) to get dressed up all nice, printed of some CVs and covering letters and went into town to visit some stores- the shopping centre's website said they had full-time vacancies open, and they sounded ideal for me. I was really keen, so I had tailor-made each letter because I honestly felt that both jobs I would be really good at. The job notice board confirmed these vacancies. Now, I went on the 2nd- job A was due to close on the 20th and job B on the 16th. I went to Job A and they told me the position had been filled. I was upset, but I figured at least Job B would at least give me a shot. Wait, no, they were refusing any CVs as well. So I wasted my train fare just to be shot down at the very first hurdle.

Its bad enough when I can actually get them to take my CV- I have a very good CV but most full-time positions are in management and I have no management experience. I can't take the part-time positions because I'd be losing money in travel fare. I haven't had an interview yet this year (because I've been rejected for every job I've applied for this year so far) but I had a bunch last year and the vast majority of them went really well. Sadly, it was only at the interview for many of them that i was told that the contract would be for some pitiful amount of hours and I'd have to say that I couldn't take a contract that small. The only other one, I think I might have lost out narrowly, because i did get a second interview.

I get the paper every week. When I jobsearch online I only put in a post code so I don't miss out on potential jobs that I didn't think of- I'm technically over-qualified for retail, which is the only thing I have experience in. I have looked for anything really, as long as its close enough, pays enough to cover travel, and I can actually do. I've stuck my hands down toilets for a living before, and I'd do it again, but sadly, most cleaning jobs are now something like 10 hours or less. I can't afford to take on 2 part time jobs as they were almost certainly clash (I have my rota changed every 5 minutes at work because I am the mot flexible).

On the 2nd, I went home and cried. I've had terrible, TERRIBLE luck in job hunting but the futility of the day just got on top of me.

Is anyone else in this position? Does anyone have any advice?

The thing with only putting in a postcode tripped me up in the UK. Some of the jobsites have crappy software and when I only put in a postcode somethings wouldn't come up.

When I put in a postcode and a job type I'd suddenly get a load more jobs that didn't appear before.

I hope it picks up for you soon.
    I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

Is this a website you're looking on? ( I have no idea how one looks for a job in the UK but I'm curious)
      https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
      Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Have you tried asking at the reception of the businesses on your local industrial estate?

Where I am is described as a 'business park' and is slightly prettier in places, but generally speaking there are businesses there and dirty lorries out back. However, we get quite a few people turning up every week asking if there's work. Most are looking for simple manual jobs (we have order pickers on a short-term contract basis) and we're hiring every so often. Right now we're looking towards covering holidays for permanent staff.

Just turn up and ask if someone's hiring. Be nice to the person on reception and you'll do far better than many. Take a few hours to go around a local business park or industrial estate and ask. Many don't go through the job centre. We don't. Advert in local newspaper when hiring permanent staff, sure, but we have loads of contacts for temporary work (which is better than nothing) from people dropping off contact information.

Rapscallion

Comment

I second Raps, and would also suggest looking for specific companies in your area - look at their websites and see if they have any jobs through that. I got my current job through the company's direct site, as they don't (and never would!) advertise through either local papers or jobsites. It is sometimes worth setting your sights a little higher than you normally would as well - for example, you say you haven't got management experience, but it may still be worth applying for a manager's role - play the "want to learn" and "ready to move to that level" lines - if you've got a fair bit of experience and can convince them that you learn fast, they may take you on and let you learn in the role.

Also consider any other areas, and all the usual stuff of working out how your specific experience can be generalised - I went from a history degree to care work to engineering to web design to being a librarian, so believe me, all skills are transferable and employers will take you on!

Message me if you want another eye to glance over your CV, and I'm south england, so let me know if I can help with any local advice. Hope you do get something soon though, and keep trying.
          I speak English, L33t, Sarcasm and basic Idiot.

Comment

I normally use either Jobs Today in the paper or Jobs Today online...the website itself is appalling, it times out and never lets me apply properly if I even do find a job worth applying for (which is rare). I don't normally bother with other jobs sites because I have no idea what I CAN do. I am technically very overqualified for my current job so its been suggesting I get passed up a lot of retail jobs based on that (I now put my qualifications near the end of my CV as I learned that school leavers tend to put education first rather than employment history). However, I'm pretty under-qualified for a lot of other things.

Thats why I don't put a job description into the search. I've had roles suggested to me in the past that I would never have IMAGINED I could do before but was told I stood a crack at. Well...in theory. In theory I could be a tour guide for a Naval Museum or HMS Victory, but no luck there yet. But thats my point. I'm not really sure what I AM capable of doing. My dad said that being a fast typist I could possibly try for being a secretary but that never gets results either.

There is only one industrial park in walking distance here and its not the sort of place where unexperienced people get jobs as just packers. I remember, for instance, one of the factories produces medical supplies, such as syringes, so I don't think they just hire any down-on-their-luck average joes like me. I'm not actually overkeen on production lines...I've been bullied severely in the past and I've been put right off production lines because so many people have told me there are bullying cultures working in them and I suffer from anxiety and depression. I'm not actually against the work at all, just the environment. Heh, if I had to sit in a room all by myself for 8 hours putting things in boxes that wouldn't bother me AT ALL. I've put my hands down toilets for a living, I've made pick-and-mixes (as a teenager) and even posted leaflets in the snow.

However I now no desire to get into a management position in retail either. I've seen what the managers at my company have to do, and they do it for such piss-poor salaries. My dad works less hours than them but still earns a bundle more. It was suggested to me by someone to move to another store at my company that wanted to train up people for assistant manager, but I've watched so many people do and then say they hate it and want to leave the company as soon as they are part of management. I would consider it at another company though, just not mine. Sadly, I have a hard time convincing people that I "want to learn" or be in a company "long term" nowadays because when it becomes clear I've been in an LDR for over 7 years they realise the chances of me leaving for another country are high. I suspect that might have counted against me in the past. When you've been together for 2 or 3 years and you're younger, people just assume its not a real relationship and you'll break up. If you're in your mid-twenties and its 7 years, it looks more serious ^^;;

Comment

Do they have temporary work agencies in the UK? Places that'll send you to various short-term jobs? Even temporary work is better than not working.

I assure you, you are not the only person who is having job hunting problems. Many, many people all over the world are in the same boat, cold comfort as that is. I wish I could help, but I'm on the other side of the pond. All I can do is wish you the best.
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Little Retail Rabbit View Post
                There is only one industrial park in walking distance here and its not the sort of place where unexperienced people get jobs as just packers. I remember, for instance, one of the factories produces medical supplies, such as syringes, so I don't think they just hire any down-on-their-luck average joes like me.
                They still need people to move boxes, track inventory, keep the place clean, and various other things, it couldn't hurt to try.

The job market sucks, I've been at what I thought would be a very temporary position for about a year and a half because I can't find anything else, at least I have a manager who appreciates me and knows that I am willing and able to do so much more so she is doing everything she can to keep me around. My husband is to the point where he is enlisting in the Navy (even though he has his degree) just so he has a chance at something that will allow for upwards movement and give him useful experience, instead of staying in the dead end job he has now.

Comment

I would rather not give up a permanent, stable job for a temporary job and run the extremely high risk of having no job at all to move onto once the contract is finished.

At the moment, things are a little better at my job. I still want to leave but at this moment in time I feel like I can go to work, get the job done, come home, thats it- it really is the most I could ask for and I'm pleased about it. I've still had the odd problem but the truth is, things have significantly improved since a shit-stirring trouble-maker left the store (I have since found out she was the one making false complaints about me, and the manager says she would complain about something LITERALLY every day). As a result, there is a lot less tension in the shop and we're all a lot happier. Still going to keep looking, but I feel so much more relaxed now

Comment

Trust me, you 're not the only one struggling out there. At least you have a job while you're looking. Hub's is on unemployment right now.

I always keep an eye on new business licenses. The downside is, it's tough to learn anything about the business, since it's brand new. The upside is, they're probably going to be looking for staff now that their license is approved.

And don't count out the industrial parks. Just like Solumina said, just because the business isn't in your industry doesn't mean they don't have something you could do.
                    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Whoops, sorry, missed the part where you're still working. Jeez, I need new glasses. Or a new brain, possibly both.

Glad the troublemaker is out of the picture. It's amazing how just one bad person can poison the whole workplace.
                      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                      My LiveJournal
                      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                      X