This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to School--f*cking kill me

Tomorrow we start our first big Back to School sale. The worst month out of the entire year is upon me.

Yes, even worse than Christmas. First, we have school supplies in two locations on opposite ends of the store, so any school supplies that come in on a truck or get pulled from the backroom have to be stocked in both spots, making for lots of running back and forth. Second, the whiny kid factor goes through the roof, because they have to wear the clothes and use the things their parents pick out for them, and apparently life is not worth living if you must go through it without the ripped-up and distressed pair of jeans, or the 256-count box of crayons, or those cool new shoes. Third, the school supply departments will look like a tornado passed through inside of an hour of the store opening tomorrow, and stay that way for the next month. Customers don't bother to put back the things they change their minds on, and employees don't straighten because it's overwhelming and it will just get trashed again anyway. Finally, during Back to School sales don't keep up with traffic. The store will be wall-to-wall people, they'll all be asking questions and hitting call buttons, the floor people will spend half their shifts on the registers, things will start not getting done, and we'll still come in several thousand dollars under sales goal most days because all anybody buys is 15-cent notebooks and folders, and 25-cent packs of crayons and glue.

And the dreaded loyalty coupons are going out again. Funny thing there--there's a blurb in the ad flyer reminding people to use their loyalty coupons. Except not every loyalty card member gets a coupon. Those are doled out based on the members' purchasing habits. The cashiers have actually been told not to mention loyalty coupons to customers so they don't anger the people marketing deemed unworthy of a coupon.

One more thing--we got in some dorm fridges a while back. They're not supposed to go out on the floor until 7-31 when their planogram activates. What's pictured in the ad that starts tomorrow? Dorm fridges. So unless somebody notices this and puts them out on the floor someplace, we're going to be lying to people and telling them we don;t have dorm fridges when they're actually in the back and nobody's put them out for sale yet.

Such excitement awaits me in the month to come. I hope to be dead.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

oh gawed. i'm sorry. cyberhugs from texas!

Comment

I was waiting for this thread. all of the local box stores have had their BTS stuff out for at least 2 weeks now.

Good luck Irv
      I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
      -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Irv once again I'm feeling like we work in the same store, and yet we don't even work for the same company.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Try adding in a coupon for 10% off school supplies that does not have a bar code, each item must be manually marked down at the register. I cannot tell you the number of people who would wait until the end to hand these over, even when we'd ask up front for them. I had to redo a $700 order that was all school supplies once.

Comment

I feel sorry for you.....and I am glad I no longer am part of the hoards of people looking for school supplies anymore. My time in that arena is done.
            https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
            Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

When I read your posts I feel like we work at the same store. We are going through the same bts nightmare. Can't wait for it to end!

Comment

And here's another thing--it seems anything that can happen to put us behind or leave us shorthanded, will happen at BTS time.

We have a truck tomorrow into Saturday. Two of the stock people will be off Saturday because it's their weekend off. When we get Friday trucks the people who are supposed to have that Saturday off still get it. This sucks when there's a Friday truck on the weekends you have to work, but you're happy for this when it comes on the weekend you're off. This generally evens out over the course of the year.

We would've had four people to stock on Saturday, but one of them had a death in her family and the funeral is in Minnesota. She probably isn't going to be back Saturday. Nothing we can do about this.

We asked management if they'd call somebody else in to replace her hours, and were told "You'll probably get pretty far on the truck Friday night; can't you get by with just three people?" Well, that depends. If the truck is small and comes early in the day Friday, we can get it unloaded and get a lot of stuff filled. But if it's a big truck, and it rolls in later in the afternoon, we'll be in Fucksville. Management also made it clear they don't want us pulling floor people off their duties to help us with the truck. They think we'll be too busy for that to happen.

Thanks to all the BTS shoppers Friday the pulls Saturday will be huge. We've got somebody to do those, but he's only doing them because he's so slow we don't want him on truck. There's no chance he'll have those pulls done and filled.

So chances are the weekend is just going to suck, and it's just the first one in the BTS season.

Comment

My condolences to you, Irv (and other BTS victims). I, too, am most likely done with all of that stuff as my stepkids are grown, and fortunately High End Home Store doesn't get TOO many customers trying to set their spoiled rotten college age kids up with tremendously expensive stuff for their dorm rooms. (We do get some...sigh.)
                  "I was only LOOKING, I didn't mean to enter my card's CVV and actually ORDER! REFUND ME RIGHT NOW!!"

Comment

Ooh! Time to get my 10 for $1 spiral notebooks again! (I'm addicted to spiral notebooks - don't ask.) But I promise I won't come to your store, Irv.
                    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                    -Mira Furlan

Comment

Don't come to mine, either.
                      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I'm in Minnesota, so it's unlikely.
                        "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                        -Mira Furlan

Comment

I hate the BTS crowd, but for me, this is actually the best time to shop for summer-type clothes or swim wear because they are putting it on clearance to make room for BTS.

When I was younger, I wanted to kill, honestly wanted to commit murder, against whomever decided BTS was appropriate just a month into summer vacation, and all the stupid ads on TV and the radio. I still feel so bad for kids. Let the kids have their summer vacation, quit shoving school at them like it's a sick joke.
                          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I hate people. They must die. All of them.

Guess how big the truck was last night? 2000 cartons.

Guess how many people we had working on it today? Three. Two after 9:00 because one of them decided he was just going to bail at 9:00 because he had a football game or something. Management was not made aware of this. Nobody was made aware of this. When 9:00 rolled around he just handed in his scanner, punched out, and was out and gone.

Please nobody say a word about "job abandonment" or corrective action or anything like that. You all should know nothing will be said to him about his leaving early. Two of our four managers are leaving soon anyway and are probably in don't-give-a-shit mode, and the other two wouldn't say anything anyway.

And on top of this we had to cover the salesfloor and do carryouts for extended periods of time because the service desk was calling for backup cashiers all the damn time. When the floor people weren't doing that, they were in school supplies, which is where management has decided all our resources will be directed this weekend.

And then, when you just want to be left alone, that's when everybody comes to you with questions. "Can you help me? I need help. Will you help me? Durr durrr herp durrrr." I had one woman try to make me her own personal shopper finding different things in our ad because she was too damn lazy to do it herself. I was this close to telling her to go away and bug somebody else.

We managed to get everything filled except for a couple things, and did a little backstocking. I expect to walk in tomorrow to the same mess we left today. I am only working a short shift tomorrow, and so is the other guy who will be working on truck. Actually, he has to get the morning autopulls done, which will no doubt be enormous, plus probably filling stuff pulled tonight and not filled because management wants somebody downloading and filling stuff continuously throughout the day.

Speaking of autopulls, the guy assigned to pulling them this morning pulled maybe 200 different items in just under 6 hours. Believe me when I say that's awful. Like having nobody do it at all. With all the school supplies flying out the door, the pull requests are just going to be huge every morning. We can't afford to have them being done by people who are either lazy or unacquainted with the pull system.

And then Monday I will be groveling in front of my supervisor hoping she doesn't go too nuclear over everything we didn't get done.

I'm about to drink myself into semi-consciousness. If I forget my own name, please don't remind me of it.
                            Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 07-23-2011, 07:13 PM.

Comment

I came in at 10:30 today. Salesfloor supervisor made a deal with me and I was glad to take it: she would handle all the carryouts and I would just hole up in the backroom and backstock. I noticed some backstocking got done yesterday, but not a whole lot.

This deal took about half an hour to unravel. That's when the service desk started paging for backup cashiers, and when nobody responded the manager on duty paged the two salesfloor people, including the supervisor, by name. And then carryouts started coming in. Lucky me, they're buying big patio sets which have just undergone another markdown.

And then there are no carts in the cartwell because everybody entering the store is grabbing one. So I got sent outside to bring them all back in again.

I ended up leaving three pallets of domestics to backstock, plus three flatbeds of school supplies, plus a pallet of backpacks that nobody touched over the weekend. Nobody was able. I left my supervisor a lengthy note about this Weekend From Hell, and hope she'll have cooled down some by the time I have to be in tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X