This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mother. Of. Crap.

I don't think I've been more terrified in my life for these few seconds... o.O

So, massive Eurovision party round ours as is tradition. I loves me some cheesy crappy Europop and Norton's drunk quips.

Lots of friends coming equals lots of baking of noms. Quite happily set about doing this. Day (round?) one to me - 48 fairy cakes ready to have the country flags iced on them, honey biscuits and prep for other things.

Round two, however...has gone to the oven. It was working fine all day, until I went in the evening to pull out more M&M biscuits from its hellish maw.

A noise. Unexpected. A brief light - likewise. Friends talking, not noticed, I'm unsure of what I'm seeing. Get closer to rescue biscuits, they're unusually singed - see spark. Stare at oven and back off slowly to centre of room - our kitchen and living room are practically the same - holy shite, the oven is sparking, and sparking badly.

Thank ever-loving fuck this building is not wired for gas.

Friends noticed now, mostly because there was a little smoke. They opened the windows as I turned off the oven - cautiously - and bf went to wave a teatowel under the smoke alarm >.<

I've never had an appliance fail so spectacularly on me like that before. It was scary for a few moments. We borrowed our lovely neighbours' oven for dinner and will again tomorrow for last of baking - the cheddar penny dough is still in the fridge! XD We've had a look inside the oven, and whatever has gone wrong was powerful enough to blow a screw out of its socket. We're calling the estate agent first thing tomorrow - they're effectively our landlord.

They say bad things come in threes - well our shower broke last week and was fixed, and Housemate's laptop power cable has buggered. But bloody hell oven, you scared the living shit out of me.

*phew*
    "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Holy shit!

I'm glad nobody was hurt. I'd be scared as hell too if that had happened to me.
    my favourite author is neil gaiman. - me
    it is? I don't like potatoes much. - the chatbot I was talking to

Comment

Oh lord, very scary. My mother once had a fire in the oven...she was baking big homemade pretzels, the pans were greasy and the oven was up too high. My father shut off the gas and put the fire out, but the whole thing scared the crap out of me.

Glad you're okay!!
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

That sounds like the last microwave I had. It was working normally and suddenly it was filling with smoke and sparks were shooting down on the food and out the back of it. I'm just glad that there wasn't anything behind it that could burn easy.

Comment

Sounds like a computer I had on the work bench some years back. Was in for a virus cleanup, hooked everything up as normal, turned on the power. ... There's a ZAP and there is smoke and sparks coming out of the back of the power supply.

Got the ol' heart racing.

Comment

Quoth SongsOfDragons View Post
            Thank ever-loving fuck this building is not wired for gas.
            Nah, if it was wired for gas you wouldn't have had that issue. That was your oven element going. It can be as weak as a small pop and a nice hole in it or, well what happened to you with a good chunk missing.
            I AM the evil bastard!
            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

You're absolutely right Lordlundar, it was the element. Leccyman came quite nicely to look at it on Saturday - got confused and interested by us having the Yogscast Survival Games on at the time - and he's fixed it today.

Although remember what I said about bad shit happening in threes? Sod that, it's happening in fives. The Eurovision party was amazingly wonderful, no problem aside from lotd of food left over, but we discovered a long-term drip under the kitchen sink; yet another call to the estate agent >.<

The fifth bad thing that happened was that during our trip out on Sunday I started developing that mixture of photophobia and headache that sets all alarm bells ringing. >.< So I broke my hospital virginity as it were. Thankfully it wasn't the big M; they thought it may have been viral meningitis but come the next morning they're not sure what was going on - the man with the balloon pump had stopped inflating my head so they sent me home with orders to rest and mild-to-average painkillers. Best guess is that I have a cold virus who is unusually resorceful - either way bad thing number 5 is over and I hope there's no more >.< I only wish I had a chance to look at the picture they took of my noggin
              "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

That's almost as bad as the time when my extremely health conscience aunt was visiting for the holidays. She was in charge of making one of the pies and decided butter was far too unhealthy. She substituted it for Molly McButter. The pie was in for about 5 minutes when when heard a huge bang from the oven and flames. Not only did the pie explode, but several flaming chunks were stuck to the side of the oven. I don't know what happened after that, I was so little that my mom was more concerned with getting me and my brother out of the house.

We still have a picture of my aunt posing next the remains of the exploded pie and giving a thumbs up. I'll tell you that was one hell of a Thanksgiving.
                Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Comment

If I could get the stuff I would so play with the Molly McButter to know why it exploded.

As for the OP good thing it wasn't the big m.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                    If I could get the stuff I would so play with the Molly McButter to know why it exploded.
                    Knowing my aunt, she likely substituted more than just the butter. Probably tried to make her own diet pie. I know for a fact that she's not allowed to cook during the holidays anymore. So apparently instances like that were a regular thing for her. Although, not usually at that magnitude.
                    Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Comment

Quoth Eevie View Post
                      Knowing my aunt, she likely substituted more than just the butter. Probably tried to make her own diet pie...
                      It was The Wow Wow Sauce.
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                      X